Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Practice Manual

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭benny79

No haven't purchased it. But heard a lot about it. I'd say one thing he has a very good marketing team.

To be honest the only reason I haven't purchased it is because I have bought a tonne of books in the passed (have all the Bob Rotella ones + more) and not 1 has made a difference so said I'm not doing it any more.

But would be very interested on your taught's on this one and how you get on with it!
    Cause it seems a good idea & very interesting but don't they all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

Hey

Let me know how it goes, I was looking at it there last week. I chose this one instead, have just started reading it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Golf-Tough-Practice-Prepare-Progress/dp/1909125504/ref=pd_sim_14_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41TQfn6WtaL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR123%2C160_&refRID=0QZ1PBY9NAXB51W5PY7E

Focus is on getting the most out of practice time put in, which is something I don't think I do great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Does it only come on paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    Does it only come on paper?

Strangely it appears so

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Quahog217

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Strangely it appears so

How are you getting on with this book? Im thinking of getting it, would you recommend it?

• Advertisement

Quahog217 wrote: »
    How are you getting on with this book? Im thinking of getting it, would you recommend it?

Still working through it. Still very theoretical. Will probably be a while before I can make a call on it. Life getting in the way of my golf :D

Hurry up! :D

Right so still working through it. Nearly to the actual practice bit....in my defence there are 255 pages to get through before that :D

So far I really like it. He touches on loads of topics and I find myself nodding along regularly as he explains things such as why you can't take it from the range to the course, why you fall apart when things are going great etc etc

So the scene is set.....unfortunately due to the imminent arrival of my 3rd child I'd be surprised if I'll have a chance to actually read up on practice and implement the stuff within the next couple of months.

But I'd be surprised if there is a practice book out there that is more detailed. So from what I have read so far I am positive about it - for what that's worth

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I'm subscribed to his mailing list & like a lot of what he says in his blogs.

I downloaded the free copy of "Golf Hacks", but haven't had a chance to go through it yet.

Maybe its worth a look for some people if they want to get a feel for his stuff:

http://www.adamyounggolf.com/golfhacks/

Right so getting further into the book all the time.
    Really like it I must say. Goes into great detail in the first 250 pages to explain the theories. This is important I think so that the reader buys into the ideas behind the practice routines as some are definitely different.

For example he makes a point that sometimes terrible performance during practice is not a bad thing and that we are actually learning loads at this time (potentially anyway). Of course most of us would give up when faced with poor performance levels.

He also says that practicing bad movements is a great learning tool. For example he says he worked on a slice to better understand his students and felt it really helped his game. It makes sense when you think about it. Say if you could hit a reliable slice....it means you have gained control over the club face and club path which is a great skill to have.

He talks about gamifying practice and also how to identify areas of weakness and using progression drills to help with these.

He makes great points about areas of focus and how these may mean bringing good form from range to course is difficult.
    For example if focus when making a change is internal (say wrist position)
    then when you go to course your focus naturally changes to target and you revert to old swing cause in lay mans terms you associate an area of focus with an action.
    Wrist with new action and target with old action. Makes perfect sense to me given trouble I (and others) have when transferring changes made on range to course.

The gamifying aspect is also very good. For example say you pick two signs on the range and aim is to land between them. Go with 10 balls (full pre-shot) and then 3/10 means you go fail and 7/10 means you pass. You can make progressively harder by e.g. narrowing target, changing club/target each time and other more advanced ones such as changing ball position each time, change shape to get within range etc etc

Basically he likens it to weight training...you need to keep adding weight to keep testing your body. If weight stays the same then your body adjusts and gets "lazy". Also need to be careful that target is not too difficult or you will give up.

All in all I am very impressed. I haven't had much time to practice and won't for a while but simply put this has changed my perspective on practice time. No more rake and hit for me. For example recently I have been working on fades and draws. And now with the thought that poor performance is not necessarily a bad thing ( as long as your plan is solid) then I feel much better about it and has spurred me on to try harder and also given me ideas on how to gamify it to keep it fresh and testing.

If you do decide to treat yourself for Xmas then I recommend using parcel motel to get free UK delivery as it will only cost around 3.50 which helps :D

• Advertisement

Cheers Alxmorgan!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

got this for Christmas thanks to this thread and just about to start it!

Any further updates alx? Has it benefited your practice or has that taken a backseat at the moment due to the holidays

I am looking forward to reading it and seeing if it changes things for me as currently I hate going to the range and only do so about 5 times a year

Hey Alx,
    How you getting on now with the book have you noticed any improvements in your game??

benny79 wrote: »
    Hey Alx,
    How you getting on now with the book have you noticed any improvements in your game??

I definitely feel that my practice time is more productive
    I have played 9 holes in 4 months so hard to say anything definitive re my game but was striking the ball pretty well when I did play.

I had been spending a good bit of practice time trying to move my strike point around the face. Feel it is working well enough and that should translate to better ball striking.

Anyway book gets a big thumbs up from me.

keep us updated when you get a few rounds in mate..If you dont mind..

benny79 wrote: »
    keep us updated when you get a few rounds in mate..If you dont mind..

I will do. Of course none of this stuff exists in a vacuum and correlation is not necessarily causation.
    I would still recommend it regardless because it makes absolute sense to be doing what he describes. In fact I feel like I've wasted years of practice time doing what I had been doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Just wondering how the book is going I'm thinking of buying one to improve my short game.

Just wondering how the book is going I'm thinking of buying one to improve my short game.

Well I've had a handful of rounds since I started practicing with it and I've scored well despite not feeling that I played well.

I haven't had as much practice time or playing time as I would have liked but I can see no downside to getting the book.

It will help you organise your time better and I find that the drills he prescribes make sense and I definitely saw progress using them.

Well I've had a handful of rounds since I started practicing with it and I've scored well despite not feeling that I played well.

I haven't had as much practice time or playing time as I would have liked but I can see no downside to getting the book.

It will help you organise your time better and I find that the drills he prescribes make sense and I definitely saw progress using them.

I ordered one last night, thanks to Willet and the masters. Looking forward to the read.

Why does Willet use it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Said I'd buy this as I often feel like I lack a bit of a focus when I'm practicing. Ordered online so just waiting for it to land now. Going to try to use it as my "bible" for practicing and see if a more focused practice routine will improve my game.

Review so far: Lets be honest lads. It's a bit like the 10th green at Augusta.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Ordered this book yesterday. Hoping between this and Dr Bob it might help improve my game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

frink wrote: »
    Ordered this book yesterday. Hoping between this and Dr Bob it might help improve my game!

I found it helped.

I certainly developed a better appreciation of what was going on when something went wrong - and that ability to 'diagnose' fed into my practice using drills (or variations of drills) suggested in the book.

For anyone interested the same author has released a video series on strike...

http://www.adamyounggolf.com/the-strike-plan/

I got my hands on it as the is something I struggle with big time. Again will update on here once I have had a chance to go through it

I got my hands on it as the is something I struggle with big time. Again will update on here once I have had a chance to go through it

He is running a comp to get a free version on twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭cjfitz

I'm enjoying these videos a lot. I'm also about 3/4 of the way through the book, found it a bit heavy in places, but it is a very useful book. I found his differential drills useful recently, made me much more aware (on the course) how/why I hit a undesired shape.

About 3 modules into video set and very happy with it. Discusses the techniques and why things happen the way they do but the real gold, as he says himself, is in the skill drills.

It's gonna take some work but then nothing good ever happens without it

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭cjfitz

Ya the skill drills are super, worth the fee alone and a lot of them can be done at home.

• Advertisement

cjfitz wrote: »
    Ya the skill drills are super, worth the fee alone and a lot of them can be done at home.

That bottle cap one looks damn hard...I love a challenge :D

Advertisement