Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Place to Buy Belgian Beer in Ireland

• 29-10-2015 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭

So i've been to Belgium twice this year and have just fell in love with the beer there... however this is becoming an expensive pastime, The only place i've found that stocks a good variety is Mc Hughs off licence in artane, have any of you guys got any other suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

DrinkStore, Redmond's, Deveney's, Martin's: any of the decent off licences, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

So i've been to Belgium twice this year and have just fell in love with the beer there... however this is becoming an expensive pastime, <snip>
    It is expensive, but even in Belgium you are looking at a small bottle costing between €1.50 and €2.50 depending on what youre getting.

If you could get some delivered mail order from abroad, you can get bottles for that €2 ish a bottle and then if youre lucky €1ish per bottle postage and packing for a box of 20 or 24 bottles.

I cant remember where I saw options for properly priced beer, but as an idea, gourmondo charges €15 for a postage of a box to Ireland it seems
    http://www.gourmondo.de/g/category/NN122G10/Belgien.jsf for beer
    http://www.gourmondo.de/g/cms/grmd+service+02+c+versand.jsf for postage
    They are not the cheapest though for their beer.

or an alternative (kindof).
    You can get a landbridge ferry ticket for Irish sea crossing and Dover to Dunkirk (half hour from Belgian border) combined for about €115 each way for car and driver (€20 per extra adult). Petrol across UK is an extra cost, but theres no tolls.
    If you were to just do a wee holiday, long weekend or whatever, visit Bruges/ World war 1 sites and other places in that area, you could just stock up in Belgium with enough beer to do you a few years.

The great thing about Belgian beer is that it has a high alcohol content so is good normally for 2 or 3 years. I've a heap of stuff from 2 and 3 christmases ago from passing through Belgium that is still ok, some of it needing to be drank this spring and some of it ok for another year- or 2 !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I've used these guys before without issue...

http://www.belgianbeerfactory.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Mesrine65 wrote: »

http://www.belgianbeerfactory.com/[/QUOTE]

They've a "selection for women" section? Seriously dodgy thinking there.

• Advertisement

http://www.belgianbeerfactory.com/[/QUOTE]

They've a "selection for women" section? Seriously dodgy thinking there.
    yea, the flavoured less strong lambics and whatnot.

My mrs loves them and for my self protection I know know to at least throw in a 6pack of "lady friendly beer" when purchasing my overloaded trolly load of man friendly Belgian beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I thought it was going to link through to an Al Murray pub landlord skit or something as a joke.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

http://www.belgianbeerfactory.com/

Another vote for these guys. Great value when you buy in bulk and works out a lot cheaper than here. Sweeneys in Glasnevin has a great selection too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Their prices include Belgian excise and VAT.

Is that okay with our Revenue?

Geuze wrote: »

I've ordered a crate every 3 weeks for the last 2 years without issue.

I can't answer your question re., Irish revenue though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 266 ✭✭Clive Bisquette

Primus a 5% belgian beer can be had in Supervalu @ €6 for 4 500ml cans.!

Probably too common for the folks on here though.??

too common
    I don't think I've ever seen it on sale in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

I'm pretty sure the answer is 'No,' from previous threads and research.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's most definitely not ok with Irish Revenue (no matter how many people have had beer delivered without problems).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Thanks for the tips guys tried martins in fairview it was right under my nose got big bottles of kwak and tripel karmiliet, 4 straffe Hendrik, 3 westmalle tripel and a big bottle of aspalls cider for 40 quid and they threw in a free glass too which was dead nice ... Have been looking at Belgian beer factory and defo will put in a big order for Xmas does anybody know what the delivery time on them is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭donaghs

Primus a 5% belgian beer can be had in Supervalu @ €6 for 4 500ml cans.!

Probably too common for the folks on here though.??

I got a few Primus cans in a Centra in town once (don't mind a cheap lager deal now and then), but nothing special and a bit headachy the next day. Worse than Stella and Jupiler I thought.

I still love the dark Trappist beers, but in terms of flavour variety I'm much more intersted in newer craft beers from other countries.

donaghs wrote: »
    I got a few Primus cans in a Centra in town once (don't mind a cheap lager deal now and then), but nothing special and a bit headachy the next day. Worse than Stella and Jupiler I thought.

I still love the dark Trappist beers, but in terms of flavour variety I'm much more intersted in newer craft beers from other countries.

Yeah 'fraid I am a fan of value beers ...always feel I am getting ripped off by the craft beer movement...probably incorrectly...have tried a few but feel there is insufficient difference in taste to justify the substantial price difference.

But to each his own...happy drinkin !

Have been looking at Belgian beer factory and defo will put in a big order for Xmas does anybody know what the delivery time on them is?
    Turn-around time from ordering to delivery varies depending on stock levels & time of year.

Anything from 7 - 28 days in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Turn-around time from ordering to delivery varies depending on stock levels & time of year.

Anything from 7 - 28 days in my experience.

Will order now hopefully it comes in before xmas :) thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

... but feel there is insufficient difference in taste to justify the substantial price difference.

Heretic!

Burn him at the stake!

:D

• Advertisement

lk67 wrote: »
    Heretic!

Burn him at the stake!

:D

he heh sorry I don't want to line the pockets of any shower of beardie smart boys who brew up in some cow shed and try to sell it to gullibles at inflated prices.

No lad...old Clive just dosen't fall for that one !

old Clive just dosen't fall for that one !
    He seems to have hoovered up the idea of a "craft beer movement" rather than "good beer" and "bad beer" though. Bless 'im.

BeerNut wrote: »
    He seems to have hoovered up the idea of a "craft beer movement" rather than "good beer" and "bad beer" though. Bless 'im.

No argument with you Nutty fully support the campaign for more choice and indeed I am cognisant of good and bad beers.

I wish the Beer education movement every success ..we have been waiting a long time for something as necessary and vital as this ...and if some lads make a few shillings doin the brewin an educatin...well what's not to like about that ?

It's all good innit :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Sorry for jumping into the thread. I'm about to put in an order with Belgianbeerfactory and while I see you guys reckon they're not okay with Irish revenue, am curious if anyone here has actually had any issues with their orders (i.e. being stung for a few quid on delivery).

Sorry for jumping into the thread. I'm about to put in an order with Belgianbeerfactory and while I see you guys reckon they're not okay with Irish revenue, am curious if anyone here has actually had any issues with their orders (i.e. being stung for a few quid on delivery).
    I received my order during the week without issue...this does not guarantee however that revenue will not seize your order re., excise :eek:

As far I know the onus to pay excise duties in the member state of the purchaser, in the case of distance selling, rests upon the vendor, although I'm open to correction.

Quoted from T&C's...

"All the prices displayed on www.belgianbeerfactory.com include VAT and excise duties. Nonetheless those prices exclude the shipping charges. Those shipping charges will be added later on in the checkout process, depending on multiple parameters. NTCE is obliged by law to charge Belgian VAT rates and Belgian excise duties to all their prices.
    Businesses as well have the ability to order certain products. On this matter, NTCE makes a clear distinction between whether or not it’s a Belgian or non-Belgian business.
    Belgian VAT-registered businesses will be charged with both Belgian VAT rates and excise duties. If the particular business has a valid VAT-number, NTCE will draw up an invoice.
    Non-Belgian VAT-registered businesses, located within the EU-countries, won’t be charged with Belgian VAT, but they will have to pay Belgian excise duties. NTCE has the ability to request all sorts of documents, proving their VAT-number is valid. When both their VAT-number seems valid and the payment has been confirmed, NTCE will draw up an invoice.
    Regardless the fact that it involves an end-consumer, a Belgian- or non-Belgian VAT-registered business, NTCE is not responsible for their obligations towards local authorities."

3. Custom Obligations
    Regardless the fact that you are an end-consumer, a Belgian- or non-Belgian VAT-registered business, NTCE is never responsible for the obligations you have towards local authorities. By visiting our website or by ordering products you agree with this term and you acknowledge that it’s your responsibility.
    Even though NTCE fully protects your privacy, it is perfectly possible that local customs open your package in order to check its content. Unfortunately this is beyond our control and so it falls outside our responsibility. This might cause a certain delay in time of delivery. When such an inconvenience occurs, please contact your local customs office.

As far I know the onus to pay excise duties in the member state of the purchaser, in the case of distance selling, rests upon the vendor, although I'm open to correction.
    You're correct.
    NTCE is never responsible for the obligations you have towards local authorities. By visiting our website or by ordering products you agree with this term and you acknowledge that it’s your responsibility.
    Yeah, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Might get a crate of Belgian stuff from that website. I'm not well acquainted with Belgian beer in general. Anyone here able to recommend a crate that would give me a good start?

A crate of a single beer? Bernardus Abt 12 and Chouffe Houblon are both excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

BeerNut wrote: »
    A crate of a single beer? Bernardus Abt 12 and Chouffe Houblon are both excellent.

Maybe one of the selection crates. I like to mix it up, I never stick to the same stuff for too long! I assume you can't get Bernardus Abt 12 and Chouffe Houblon in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭tomhalloween

Has anyone ordered beer from gourmondo.de lately? I made an order for last Christmas but when I click on any beer on the website now it states delivery to Germany only?

Advertisement