Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Know your elves - #8 Scarinae

• 26-10-2015 11:47pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Week 8 already!! \o/
    Apologies that it is a little late in the evening with the bank holiday and the clocks. :o

But that means it is officially winter-time!! :D

Sooo...
    Do you get an advent calendar every year?

Christmas tree lights- coloured or clear?

Flashing or static?

Sprouts- yum or yuk?

Do you have a favourite Christmas TV ad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emmagination

Yay, I get to jump in early with the questions this week :D

When do you normally put up your Christmas tree?

Do you have any Christmas traditions?

Which do you prefer - Christmas Eve, Christmas Day or St. Stephen's Day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Do you prefer to buy tins of sweets or biscuits ?

Do you start your shopping early or all last minute ?

What is the best gift you have ever been given and why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

What's your favourite Christmas song?

What's your favourite part of Christmas dinner?

Do you go the whole hog and have a starter, main and dessert on Christmas Day?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Posy wrote: »
    Apologies that it is a little late in the evening with the bank holiday and the clocks. :o
    You’re just rubbing the bank holiday in my face :( I’m in London, so I had a full day of work yesterday while everyone in Ireland was climbing mountains or nursing bank holiday hangovers
    Do you get an advent calendar every year?
    Actually no, not consistently! I didn’t get one last year because I was on holiday for a good chunk of December. I usually I get a chocolate one for myself and eat a chocolate every day until the day I go home to Ireland (when I polish off the rest to save the bother of carrying it on the plane :o)

At home, we have a homemade advent calendar wall hanging that my Mum made when we were kids – it is a Christmas tree with a load of numbered pockets that are designed to look like gifts hanging on the tree and at the base, and number 24 is the silver star on top of the tree. Mum fills it with sweets and chocolate money each year – three in each pocket so there’s no arguing – although now she only fills it for the days we’re home.
    Christmas tree lights- coloured or clear?
    I like both! White lights if you’re trying to make the tree look classy with nice decorations, but coloured lights if you’re going for the “Christmas threw up on the tree” look. And I have coloured lights for my desk at work – they’re in my bottom desk drawer with some purple and silver tinsel, I’m trying to work out how early I can get away with putting them up :D
    Flashing or static?
    I actually prefer static lights, it’s calmer. We have a set of flashing lights that also play music and they are the most annoying thing ever, it’s the only set of lights that refuses to die.
    Sprouts- yum or yuk?
    Mega yuk – although I always eat one because, you know, Christmas. My Mum and sister love sprouts and usually make them with bacon but I don’t think it improves them at all.
    Do you have a favourite Christmas TV ad?
    You can’t beat the classic Coca Cola ad with the trucks (holidays are coming!), although I also like the An Post ads with The Snowman (do they still do those?)

Yay, I get to jump in early with the questions this week :D
    :)
    When do you normally put up your Christmas tree?
    I haven’t put up a Christmas tree here in London for the last couple of years because I live with my landlady and she is a certified card-carrying Grinch. However, I am moving into my friend’s flat in two weeks and she was talking about getting a Christmas tree at the beginning of December :)

At home, my parents usually save one of the trees for me to decorate when I get home. I’m back on the 17th this year so may decorate it that very evening!
    Do you have any Christmas traditions?
    We used to always go into Dublin on Christmas Eve and have breakfast in Bewleys on Grafton St, then soak up the Christmas atmosphere and do last-minute shopping. At some point in the last few years, this turned into us going to Avoca for breakfast on Christmas Eve (usually with prosecco involved!)

Our Christmas traditions are a bit topsy turvy at the moment anyway because my sister and I both live in the UK, and my brother and his wife had a baby last year, so we’re getting to the point where new Christmas traditions are being made. Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing!
    Which do you prefer - Christmas Eve, Christmas Day or St. Stephen's Day?
    If I had children, I’d imagine I’d feel the same way about you asking me to pick a favourite :D At a push, I would say Christmas Eve – it’s pretty much when I hit peak festive cheer and I still have the 25th and 26th to look forward to!

• Advertisement

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Do you prefer to buy tins of sweets or biscuits ?
    My first instinct is to say sweets, but I’m disappointed in how the classic tins like Roses are now made of plastic (looks cheap) and are getting smaller every year. So I’m going to go with biscuits. You can’t beat a tin of Chocolate Kimberleys!
    Do you start your shopping early or all last minute ?
    I’ve bought a few bits already so I’d consider that to be early… However judging by some of the posts on this forum October is a late start :D I like to have everything sorted by early December if possible, I get a lot of stuff posted to my office so it allows a bit of wiggle room for late parcels. I’ll often still be buying small things on Christmas Eve, but not the main presents.

Having said that, I don’t normally wrap anything until I get home as I’ve learned through experience that wrapped presents don’t look so good after travelling in a suitcase – sometimes I’m still wrapping things on Christmas Eve!
    What is the best gift you have ever been given and why ?
    When I was a child, maybe eight or nine, my parents gave me absolutely loads of Sylvanian Families stuff. I was obsessed with Sylvanians so it was the greatest thing ever, it was all secondhand but who cares, it was amazing! There was one of the mansions, a windmill, a horse and cart, loads of furniture including a little sewing machine and tiny scissors, and tonnes of the figures.

What's your favourite Christmas song?
    Merry Christmas Everyone by the Shakin Stevens, or Last Christmas by Wham. I actually cannot listen to either song without singing along!

In terms of Christmas carols, I like the traditional ones like Oh Come All Ye Faithful and Hark the Herald Angels Sing. Although we’re doing Sleigh Ride in choir and it is a lot of fun to sing, it is such a happy song!
    What's your favourite part of Christmas dinner?
    Pretty much everything apart from sprouts! There are some things that I only eat at Christmas really, so I’d go for one of them – maybe pigs in blankets or my Mum’s amazing bread sauce.
    Do you go the whole hog and have a starter, main and dessert on Christmas Day?
    Of course! Eating is an important part of the Christmas experience – usually we all start getting sleepy after the main course though so we take a break before dessert to pull the crackers and read out the crappy cracker jokes.

The starter is usually melon although I think my sister has some ideas this year for changing it. The main course is the full works – turkey with sausage and herb stuffing, ham, pigs in blankets, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, brussels sprouts, carrots, peas, gravy, cranberry sauce, bread sauce etc. Dessert varies a bit more from year to year – usually there’s Christmas pudding which we always light for the effect, with brandy butter to accompany it, and sometimes we’ll have a yule log or a gingerbread house.

Scarinae wrote: »

When I was a child, maybe eight or nine, my parents gave me absolutely loads of Sylvanian Families stuff. I was obsessed with Sylvanians so it was the greatest thing ever, it was all secondhand but who cares, it was amazing! There was one of the mansions, a windmill, a horse and cart, loads of furniture including a little sewing machine and tiny scissors, and tonnes of the figures.

I love slyvanian families. I had the hotel as a child and my mam got rid of it one day when she thought I was too big for it so a few years ago my OH bought me the same hotel and every year he gets me a few bits to do it up! Did you see they are selling a Christmas box with a tree and little gifts. My poor OH just looked at me and said if I'm contemplating decorating my doll house for Christmas I have a serious problem :p you should check it out! Cutest little thing ever!

When you do move in with your friend (or indeed your own place ) and the Christmas decorating is left soley to you, would you prefer to have it colour themed or general Christmas mayhem !

Would you prefer a wreath or a nativity scene /crib ?

Where do you stand on tinsel ? To be avoided at all costs or can't get enough of it !

I love slyvanian families. I had the hotel as a child and my mam got rid of it one day when she thought I was too big for it so a few years ago my OH bought me the same hotel and every year he gets me a few bits to do it up! Did you see they are selling a Christmas box with a tree and little gifts. My poor OH just looked at me and said if I'm contemplating decorating my doll house for Christmas I have a serious problem :p you should check it out! Cutest little thing ever!
    I hated when my parents would just throw away stuff without checking! :( Or give it away to relatives, although at least then someone has it.

I did not know that they’re selling a special Christmas one… Honestly I’m afraid to look it up because I will want it :D
    When you do move in with your friend (or indeed your own place ) and the Christmas decorating is left soley to you, would you prefer to have it colour themed or general Christmas mayhem !
    I think there is a place in life for both colour themes and general mayhem… So I’d divide it up into sections I think. So maybe some rooms tasteful and some rooms tacky!
    Would you prefer a wreath or a nativity scene /crib ?
    I’m more of a wreath person generally. My Mum always does a big piece for the front door, like a wreath or a Star of David, and we’d have smaller wreaths on each of our bedroom doors. I usually had one with a robin because I love robins.

We did have a nativity scene when I was younger, but haven’t done one for a while – actually we used a spare Sylvanian house as the stable and sprayed it with fake snow (even though Bethlehem is in the middle east somewhere and has probably never had snow!). We didn’t have a full set of matching figures though because my brother somehow managed to knock Baby Jesus into the fire one year, and we had to use a stand-in doll!
    Where do you stand on tinsel ? To be avoided at all costs or can't get enough of it !
    Funnily enough we never had tinsel in the house when I was a child because my Mum hates it, she thinks it is tacky. I still don’t think tinsel looks quite right on Christmas trees, but I’ll happily put it around my computer monitor in work!

• Advertisement

If you could have any famous or well known person (dead or alive ) join you for Christmas day who would it be and why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Do you have a set number of presents you buy everyone or do you just get them presents and don't count how many they get each?

What's your tipple of choice at Christmas?

What are you hoping to receive this year?

If you could have any famous or well known person (dead or alive ) join you for Christmas day who would it be and why ?
    Would Santa Claus count? :pac:

Otherwise I’d want Will Ferrell in character as Buddy from Elf :D

fussyonion wrote: »
    Do you have a set number of presents you buy everyone or do you just get them presents and don't count how many they get each?
    I usually get people one main present and then lots of smaller ones – there aren’t always an even amount but I try to keep them roughly the same in terms of value.
    What's your tipple of choice at Christmas?
    We’ve got very into the prosecco in the last few years! I liked mulled wine but I try to avoid it as I get trashed :o Mulled cider is a safer option. I also associate Baileys with Christmas because it’s the only time I really drink it, my sister makes excellent Baileys coffees.
    What are you hoping to receive this year?
    I’m not really sure how to answer that, as there’s nothing in particular present-wise that I’m hoping for this year! What I’m looking forward to the most is going home, seeing my family, getting hugs from my nephew and catching up with my friends.

Scarinae wrote: »
    Would Santa Claus count? :pac:

Otherwise I’d want Will Ferrell in character as Buddy from Elf :D

Santa claus will probably be tucked up in bed after a hard nights works ( or out getting tipsy with his elves after a another successful year :pac: )

Omg imagine how fun it would be having buddy the elf for dinner .. just make sure you have the 3 food groups , candy , candy canes, candy corns, and of course lots of syrup !! :D I need to get out more .... :p

Advertisement