Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Shoebox Appeal - to my shame...

Options
  • 26-10-2015 2:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

This could be posted in so many forums but as I had to pick one I chose this Christmas Forum. To my shame I have never sent a Christmas Shoebox, but having seen this video on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3fLKGHdvr4 showing the huge excitement of the children receiving these shoeboxes of cheap and cheerful gifts I decided I was getting involved this year. My children were never this excited when they received extremely expensive presents like a bike or a keyboard. Just wondered if anyone here has done this and as I am looking for ideas, what did you put in your box? I know there are do's and don'ts. Did you stick to the recommendations or did you think of better ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    This could be posted in so many forums but as I had to pick one I chose this Christmas Forum. To my shame I have never sent a Christmas Shoebox, but having seen this video on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3fLKGHdvr4 showing the huge excitement of the children receiving these shoeboxes of cheap and cheerful gifts I decided I was getting involved this year. My children were never this excited when they received extremely expensive presents like a bike or a keyboard. Just wondered if anyone here has done this and as I am looking for ideas, what did you put in your box? I know there are do's and don'ts. Did you stick to the recommendations or did you think of better ideas?

The do's and donts are there for a purpose, please stick to them .
    A better idea then one box would be doing 2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

I have to say I love doing these every year. My son's creche just gave out leaflets on a collection of these. I generally stick to the dos and donts. Purely because they are there for a reason and id hate for my box to not make it to some poor little child because I put something on the don't list into it!

I general try give practical things, ie tooth brush, brush, a coloring book and pencils or art supplies, gloves, hats, flip flops, and little knick knacks, sun glasses little toy balls or marbles etc. General stuff. I love doing them every year for the kids !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't going to ignore the do's and don'ts but thought people might have come up with some ideas that would be within those guidelines. I saw an American Youtube video where a woman put a battery operated watch into a box and I thought it wasn't a good idea due to batteries running down and these children would have no access to such an item. I already have a list made keeping to the instructions, just looking for more ideas I suppose. Two would definitely be better than one, yes!

From what I've read, your box doesn't get stopped if the contents are not right, they just switch things around so it will be more suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Hi, how can I do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

Hi, how can I do this?

Google "Team hope" all the info you need is there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I try and do a boy and girls one.

I put in
    Facecloth
    Bar soap
    Tooth brush and paste
    Underwear (socks/vests/knickers)
    Tshirt -maybe
    Maybe hat n scarf n gloves
    Pencil case, pencils, colours, rubber, parer, biro
    Copy books
    Packs tissue
    Maybe colouring book (no words)
    Tennis ball
    Skipping rope -maybe
    Bubbles-maybe
    Stickers
    Small cars-maybe
    Small doll - maybe
    Packs haribo sweets
    Hair stuff for girls box

Last few years I've filled box during year. This year I'm very disorganised. I'll do what I can but sadly it won't be as full this year as other years.
    I really like the idea of doing box for older girls and putting in sanitary products . It's terrible to think that girls don't have such basics that we take so for granted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Great list. Not sure about the bubbles, I didn't think liquids are allowed?

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Great list. Not sure about the bubbles, I didn't think liquids are allowed?

I think you are right.

I often go through my kids toys and I'll put in a few small toys aside like cars/things from kinder eggs. Small teddy or dolls.
    A whistle is another one.
    Girls toy necklace etc

I'm just bewildered typing this list now. Myself and husband have spent the evening explaining to our 8yesr old that Santa won't be bringing an Xbox . I just think spending €450 on one present is a sin. He is 8 after all. I'll cry when he hears that other kids in his class got a bloody Xbox but no way it's not happening here.

gerard2210 wrote: »
    Google "Team hope" all the info you need is there.

Just so people are aware, this is a Christian charity.
    I actually feel sick to have discovered this, but this is not the right place to discuss such matters.

I actually feel sick to have discovered this, but this is not the right place to discuss such matters.

Being honest I do have similar reservations but I have contributed 2 boxes a year since my children started in school. I discuss with them what the small basic gifts mean to an impoverished child. I hope this will teach my children an important life lesson.

I don't really know how to feel that religious items will be added to the box.
    But at the end of the day a huge amount of children will benifit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

Relevance?

Relevance?

Hint - Christmas is a Christian holiday....in case you hadn't realised.

Relevance?

well I think it is hugely relevant,
    on face value giving a gift of toys to a child in a third world country is a fantastic thing to do.
    but people may wish to be aware that it is a christain organisation who is doing this. Therefore based on the precedence of such organisations in the past they may be:
    • Telling the children they were born sinners
    • Insisting they need to pray to a higher being
    • Telling the gay ones that if they act on who they are they will go to hell
    • advising them to pray as an answer to their problems
    • far worse
    And again some people may find this relevant, either as they think its a great thing, or because they dont.

and to your second point, yes Christmas is considered a Christmas holiday, it doesn't make the special Christmas offers in Tesco Christian, you cant assume anything which happens near this time, or uses this word will be Christain

well I think it is hugely relevant,
    on face value giving a gift of toys to a child in a third world country is a fantastic thing to do.
    but people may wish to be aware that it is a christain organisation who is doing this. Therefore based on the precedence of such organisations in the past they may be:
    • Telling the children they were born sinners
    • Insisting they need to pray to a higher being
    • Telling the gay ones that if they act on who they are they will go to hell
    • advising them to pray as an answer to their problems
    • far worse
    And again some people may find this relevant, either as they think its a great thing, or because they dont.

and to your second point, yes Christmas is considered a Christmas holiday, it doesn't make the special Christmas offers in Tesco Christian, you cant assume anything which happens near this time, or uses this word will be Christain

Christmas shoebox appeal, for Christmas, at Christmas. Feel free to NOT participate. Jesus, why are atheists so obsessed with religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Relevance?

Originally it was run by Samaritan's Purse who had some controversy around people having to attend a religious event before receiving aid. Team Hope was created to separate them from the evangelicalism but they didn't sign the agreement that other charities have signed about not promoting religious or political views or something. They may have signed it at a later date though.

Hence some people might have reservations of being involved with such a charity. As far as I know there are other charities which do something similar without having the shady past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

If you want to do a shoebox that's not with a Christian organisation some of the homeless charities are taking them this year for homeless families. I know galway have a collection, probably the other cities too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well now, I consider myself an atheist, but since these are Christmas parcels I really cannot see any issue with it being a Christian organisation, in fact it would be a bit odd if it were not. And they say that they will include a Christmas card if it is locally acceptable and appropriate so no problem there. I don't see any other reference to religious items.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I do it every year in work.Ive never even thought about the religious aspect of it just hope that some deserving children actually receive them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Donating to charity, especially giving toys to children, is a wonderful thing to do at Christmas, but this is starting to go around in circles.
    This is not the forum for debating atheism and the possible pitfalls of various Christian charitable organisations.

I hope everybody thinks of those in need during the festive season.
    :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement