Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

graduate visa san fransisco (computer and electronic engineering

• 19-10-2015 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

hi
    im going on a 1 year graduate visa to san francisco in a couple months, i have a bachelors degree in computer and electronic engineering. i know there are plenty of jobs over there in this field but has anybody any experience coming from ireland and getting a paid intership? i've heard alot of people complaining about most internships are unpaid, is this still the case for computer related jobs ? id love to hear anybodys experiences with this.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I work in tech in SF, and most intern jobs are paid because the demand is so high. In fact if you can land yourself a dream job, they'll pay you really well and offer lots of other perks too. Get researching ASAP though, as the whole world is competing for the same jobs and usually they hire well in advance! Best o' luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 brsc2909

I work in tech in SF, and most intern jobs are paid because the demand is so high. In fact if you can land yourself a dream job, they'll pay you really well and offer lots of other perks too. Get researching ASAP though, as the whole world is competing for the same jobs and usually they hire well in advance! Best o' luck!

Would they even look at my resume considering im still in ireland ? Did you start of with an intership coming from ireland? How did you start out ? Ive been applying to quit a few places but havnt heard much back. Should i put an american address on my resume ?

Thanks
    Brendan

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Most big companies will consider applicants from abroad. Most places do summer internships only, try applying via those. I wouldnt lie with the american address, it would only complicate things. Some companies might consider relocating you if you are in Ireland.

I started out working for a US company in Ireland then moved, so different situation.

Some quick googling:
    https://www.looksharp.com/s/summer-internships/san-francisco-ca
    https://www.dropbox.com/jobs/listing/91579
    http://www.goabroad.com/intern-abroad/search/united-states/internships-abroad-1
    http://www.gooverseas.com/internships-abroad/united-states

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

I hire in this space. TBH you will need to be a top tier candidate to get someone interested enough to hire you. Whether legal or not, candidates with immigration issues are less competitive and the market is incredibly competitive. You would need to have good grades, work experience and a good portfolio. The top tier companies get hundreds, if not thousands of applicants per job.

Also search this forum or Google for living costs in this area. You'll need ~$7k upfront to get started on rent and other living expenses.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I work in bio-tech in SF. Our company only hires summer interns from particular schools every year (this year it was Masters students from Carnegie Mellon). The reason for this is usually it is "mid year" and is to work on a specific project rather than being part of our overall work flow as (and I'm going to frank here) interns are viewed as a lot of trouble and need handholding, especially for companies that have a specific type of culture. My team had 2 interns this summer and I was exhausted by the end of it. One was great and we've offered her a full time position for when she finishes college, one was ok and needed a lot of motivation. Our interns were paid around $40 an hour.

As someone that views CV weekly, your location doesn't matter but cater your resume to the field you are interested in. Interning at a bio-tech firm will be a different experience to a start up where your dog can come to work with you every day. Show projects that you worked on, and any pet projects you have. I can learn more about a person from their github than their resume.

On a side note, be prepared for how expensive SF is. There is a housing crisis at the moment. Rooms for the most part in shared houses/apartments go for around $1k to $1.5K a month - i actually know someone paying $2.5K. You have to be prepared for that as well. Outside of housing, life is not to expensive, but if you do manage to get a paid internship, be prepared to wave goodbye to 30% in taxes/social security (CA has a high state tax) and then 50-60% of your net in rent. The cheapest areas are outer richmond, outer sunset/parkside, outer mission, Daly City. They are safe. Stay away from Bayview, Tenderloin (in the city) and West Oakland on the east bay.

• Advertisement
Advertisement