Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Decorations...when is it too early?

• 21-10-2015 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

Ok so my partner has been tormenting me for the last week about putting the decorations up! I tried my best holding off until at least after halloween....hes rooting them out right now!!
    Is it ever really too early??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

Yea too early, at least wait till Halloween is over, and that still to early as well, but each too their own, I myself if I'm in the humour will put tree up around Dec 12th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

My decorations go up the day of the toy show, so 27th November, as much as I love Christmas I'm not sure I could have decorationa up over 2 months

I love putting them up, big reveal of the trees when it gets dark, then mulled wine and toys ☺

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

We will probably start seeing decorations in about a month. Generally from the 20th Novemeber+.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

My decorations go up the day of the toy show, so 27th November, as much as I love Christmas I'm not sure I could have decorationa up over 2 months

I love putting them up, big reveal of the trees when it gets dark, then mulled wine and toys ☺

I'm the same as this. As much as I love Christmas I'd get tired of the decorations if I had them up longer. Roll on the 27th.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

Well, i haven't waited this year... They had started creeping out of boxes recently, and broke in to my apartment last night, and I have a tree and the lights up now... And it wasn't planned... I was in a fowl mood yesterday, and had to do something to calm me down!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

SMJSF wrote: »
    Well, i haven't waited this year... They had started creeping out of boxes recently, and broke in to my apartment last night, and I have a tree and the lights up now... And it wasn't planned... I was in a fowl mood yesterday, and had to do something to calm me down!!

Crazy early, do you live in a shopping centre by any chance?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Don't forget to post up a picture of your tree! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

Loughc wrote: »

I will.... ( :

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Loughc wrote: »

You will have to get working on the 2015 Christmas Tree thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Yeah, way too early. December 1st for me. Will be my first xmas in Ireland since 2012 - usually go to the wifes country. Looking forward to it :) Christmas is odd when it's 33 degrees C :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Lola18

Im just glad we're not the only ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Mine will be going up the 19th or 20th of November.
    I have a few days off work that week, so why not make the most of it?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

My view is that "for every thing there is a season" (a favourite song, too)

Hallowe'en first, with its own flavours and decorations.
    For Americans, Thanksgiving towards the end of November. THEN Christmas.
    Not being American, I would say that Advent (eg December) brings on the Christmas season. I love it, but each thing to its own time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

katemarch wrote: »
    My view is that "for every thing there is a season" (a favourite song, too)

Hallowe'en first, with its own flavours and decorations.
    For Americans, Thanksgiving towards the end of November. THEN Christmas.
    Not being American, I would say that Advent (eg December) brings on the Christmas season. I love it, but each thing to its own time!

+1.

I love Christmas, but I feel the longer I wait to start celebrating it, the more I enjoy it.

Like right now I'm excited for it. But if I'm 2 weeks the decorations were up, by the time Christmas arrives It won't feel as great as it should.

But if I wait until the last few days on November to decorate, it will be much more exiting as you are anticipating it longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Decorations up in early December and the tree around the 15th, normally on the Saturday/Sunday as get a real one. Any earlier and it's a twig by January!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Aputernut

It depends on the size of your display in our case we start as soon after Halloween as possible our 1st. lighting target date is Dec. 1st.then it will be lit each night till Dec. 31st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭bazza1

2nd week in December, nearest weekend. I hate seeing Christmas decorations up in the shops at Halloween! Extending the time when decorations are up dilutes the whole thing for me. Might as well put the Easter feckin' Bunny on top of the tree while we are at it! :0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

If I had my way I would put them up the week (7 days) before Christmas and take them down a week (7 days) after Christmas. But from the 8th Dec I get annoyed by my son to put them up so they have to go up around then. I think personally if I had them up for ages and ages I would become immune to them. I like the novelty of having them up for the two weeks or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

We always put ours up on the 8th but this year we're putting them up on the 5th. I always have something Christmas related in the sitting room though all year round. At the moment I have a little light up Santa from Tiger and a Christmas candle.

There's no loss of novelty for me. I get excited every morning when I walk into the sitting room and see the tree. I can't wait to put it up. Everyone is different though, and as long as I don't have to listen to people giving out about it being too early for decorations I don't care when people put them up!

• Advertisement

I will.... ( :
    kitten_k wrote: »
    You will have to get working on the 2015 Christmas Tree thread!
    Lola18 wrote: »
    Im just glad we're not the only ones!

Thanks to the wonderful Posy, the 2015 Show us Your Christmas Trees is now Live and sticked! :)

If you have your tree up or when you do put it up don't forget to post a pic! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I am going to freak with excitement when the first tree is posted. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

The only rule in this house is that the Christmas decorations go up after Halloween. Usually the 1st of November is the day I take down Halloween deco and Christmas deco comes out of attic. It will have to be the 2nd this year however as I am away on a course Sunday 1st November this year!

The tree traditionally goes up the day of the toy show here. Saying that prep starts from the first or linens washed all skirting boards and windows cleaned. Can't stand putting up deco if the house hasnt had a good clean.

Agree with toto wolf castle. The season is what you make it. I always find after Christmas quiet a nice time, you have Christmas decorations being sold off, Janunary sale starts and I start picking up gifts for next year. You can only find what your looking for in my opinion, and if you are of the opinion that the Christmas season ends on St Stephens day, then you won't notice it going on around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭rsl1976

The tree has to be up in time for the Toy Show. Everything else tends to go up the following week

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Snoddy

Anytime after the 12th December , before that and it takes the excitement away and they just get tired And dusty looking . We usually have a real tree so the later it goes up the better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Lola18 wrote: »
    Ok so my partner has been tormenting me for the last week about putting the decorations up! I tried my best holding off until at least after halloween....hes rooting them out right now!!
    Is it ever really too early??

I'll probably hold out until the Toy Show to put mine up.

Think it is too early if you are putting up the decorations before Halloween is over ;)

But do share a pic of your tree when you put it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Aputernut

My inside decorating is almost finished as of today Nov. 2nd. we really got to it yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Aputernut wrote: »
    My inside decorating is almost finished as of today Nov. 2nd. we really got to it yesterday!

I need to get my butt into gear! I normally start my big clean before deco go up but I'm already behind. Was on a course yesterday so just spent today taking down Halloween deco.

Only rules in this house are house must be clean before decorations go up. Tree must go up day of toy show and lights and decorations just be up before 1st December. As 1st of December is the day we switch on the outdoor lights :) soo jealous your already done !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭DrJ

Usually hold off till a week or two before Christmas in my family home but we leave ours up right until Little Christmas. Everyone seemed to do this when I was a little nipper and I'm in my (late) 20s still so not that old. I'm so proud of my parents' narky witterings in recent years about how other folk these days don't respect the 12 days of Christmas no more ;-) Seriously though someone posted a thread about this a while ago and it breaks my heart to see people taking their decorations down on the 26th or on New Years when Christmas is 12 days. I know, I know it's about people being very busy these days and/or not celebrating the actual 12 days but I'll use any excuse to keep it up and on this occasion I'll say I'm a traditionalist. I think it also helps to stave off the January Blues a bit. I found this year that purchasing the odd half price Christmas card, ribbon and crackers this year in January also helped to stabilise the mood ;-) So to answer the OP q: you're never too early to put them up, just don't be too early to take them down. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

I think each to their own as long as there is a "tradition" about it!
    For me that is the special part of it...
    Lived in NY..weekend after Thanksgiving.
    Live in Ireland..Up for Toy Show..
    Your family should be able to count on it:):):)

Advertisement