Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

log book/reg number

Options
  • 28-09-2015 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

I've asked this part before reference getting a log book for a vehicle that had at least 3 previous owners with no book so I need to swear an oath or something is that right?
    second part got me worried.i have 2 original irish vans with no books,i think from around '82/83,and wad told that if I register them I'd loose the reg to zv is that right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Hello, the swearing , no, asking a solicitor to sign your application for a lost tax book is straight forward. If you are not the last registered owner it may be more difficult but re the dreaded zv for an irish reg vehicle, one of the knowledgeable regulars on here assures us that getting an old tax book is quite doable. Sorry for that long sentence, do asearch on these boards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

I just did a wee search, got some answers but not the one I sought. It was in the last year, anybody remember.?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

Ok, you have no log books but -

1 - Do you know the reg number of each vehicle?
    2 - Are any of the vehicles registered in your name?

If you know the reg number, and they ARE registered in your name, you simply apply for a new log book in each case (using a 'Replacement Documents' form - get on www.motortax.ie, or from a garda station. Complete and post to your local motor tax office along with €12 per vehicle)

If you know the reg number, and they are NOT registered in your name, you get an Oath/Declaration form (for each vehicle) from a garda station. Go to a Commissioner of the Oaths (usually a local solicitor) declare that you are the legal owner of each vehicle, complete the form (and pay the solicitor!). Then post the forms to your local motor office to get new tax books (along with €12 per book).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

Silvera wrote: »
    If you know the reg number, and they are NOT registered in your name,

you get an Oath/Declaration form (for each vehicle) from a garda station. Go to a Commissioner of the Oaths (usually a local solicitor) declare that you are the legal owner of each vehicle, complete the form (and pay the solicitor!). Then post the forms to your local motor office to get new tax books (along with €12 per book).

If you know the reg number, and they are NOT registered in your name,

In addition to the above
    you need to get a form stamp by 'main dealer' (local small garage was okay for me) who has inspected the vehicle to confirm it is what you say it is, VIN, reg check etc.

Source: I had to do this in May this year. And got an old style brown log book sent out.

One issue I had was that they have to write out to the previous owner to ensure they aren't claiming ownership of the car, by the time that was sorted it had gone over the time allowed to declare a car off the road after having bought it, despite them providing me with an off road declaration in the post with the log book and the hold up was on their end, I went into the tax office on day I purchased car and again on the same day as the tax book was posted to me and there was still no talking to them.

It was a special form not available online, that I got in the local tax office that was required, I may have a photocopy of it that I could send you.

Only time I could imagine them issuing you a ZV or new County style plate would be if the reg number was unknown and the chassis number could not be confirmed or matched to its original reg in the old hard copy paper records in Shannon before things were computerised.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

cheers silvera for the help.

shineon.the 2 vans are far from roadworthy so getting them to a dealers or garage would be impossible.

both the vans have their original number plates on them too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭shineon23

bugsntinas wrote: »
    cheers silvera for the help.

shineon.the 2 vans are far from roadworthy so getting them to a dealers or garage would be impossible.

both the vans have their original number plates on them too.

Yeah the tax office wanted me to trailer mine to the local main dealer but I heard any reputable garage stamp is acceptable so got them to inspect mine, my local tax office definitely would not have done anything for me without the garage stamp in addition to the other forms. It was a long process in my case to get the log book.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

do you not have to tax the vehicle for to get the book

For a first registration - Yes
    For a replacement log book - No

• Registered Users Posts: 2 seamus coll

I Am Looking for the log book for a 1964 wolseley 1500 reg no eli 745 Regrds james

• Registered Users Posts: 64,764 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Welcome to boards, James. Please read further up in this post in how to get your log book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 tommurphy73

For a first registration - Yes
    For a replacement log book - No

Hi,

I have a bit of a dilemma with a Jago Geep that was imported years ago with duty paid but was never taxed so there was never a tax book. I had the documentation which as far as I remember had an 84Csomething reg number and a receipt for import duty. Bad news is the import documentation has been lost and there is no record of the Jago on the irish system either under its english reg or the chassis number. I rang Rosslaire who said they would look into different databases to see if they could find anything but nothing yet.

Is there anywhere else that I should ring to confirm that the car has been imported and find out what the Irish number is. I have tried the vehicle registration office in Shannon, The local motor tax office and the revenue in Rosslaire so far. I also did a vehicle history check in the UK and it is not listed as being exported from the UK but everything else is OK, ie no outstanding finance, not crashed etc.

Regards
    Tom

Thats a strange one..

- Did you import the jeep?
    - How long is it in Ireland?
    - Did you have the reg document (or did somebody just give you a look at it when you were buying the jeep)?
    - Possible silly question, but...is there reg plates on the jeep with '84 C ..' reg?
    - If Revenue in Rosslare cant find it on their system it doesnt look promising as far as retained the '84 C ...' plate goes.

You may have no choice but to register the vehicle (again?) on an '84' or 'ZV' plate.

Thats a strange one..

- Did you import the jeep?
    - How long is it in Ireland?
    - Did you have the reg document (or did somebody just give you a look at it when you were buying the jeep)?
    - Possible silly question, but...is there reg plates on the jeep with '84 C ..' reg?
    - If Revenue in Rosslare cant find it on their system it doesnt look promising as far as retained the '84 C ...' plate goes.

You may have no choice but to register the vehicle (again?) on an '84' or 'ZV' plate.

The story of the Jago is:

I bought it off a person who bought it off whoever imported it originally. The person who I bought it from was tragically killed in a car crash so I have no way of knowing who the original importer is. I had the paperwork and was going to register the jago but after contacting a few insurance companies at the time decided that it was not worth the hassle so I did nothing. However the Jeep is now over 30 years old and it seems that I might be able to get it insured and the tax is cheap so it is worth trying to get it back on the road.

Unfortunately over the years the original import documentation has gone missing. I dont really want to spend too much money or time on it so I was hoping to be able to trace back to whatever system was used and find out what the Irish reg was. I only know the english reg and the chassis number so that is all I have to go on.

Regards
    Tom

Ok. Under the circumstances it seems like you may just have to pay the standard €200 fee to (re) register it on an '84' or 'ZV' plate.

I was in contact with Rosslaire again today and they have no record of the car. They thing that if I can find out which local county council the car was registered then they may be able to find out something. If the car was never taxed and no log book issued then the car would be removed from the system after a period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭ace86

I was in contact with Rosslaire again today and they have no record of the car. They thing that if I can find out which local county council the car was registered then they may be able to find out something. If the car was never taxed and no log book issued then the car would be removed from the system after a period of time.

if a car goes on the system don't think it will ever be removed even if it was scraped the info would always be there and probably stored in shannon but trying to get info of them be hard they will only confirm any info u have and tell u its correct or not to the best of my knowledge.

You havent clearly stated if you have the (84 C ?) reg number or not on this thread?

If you dont have it - may I respectfully ask - how did you expect Rosslare to seek it for you? Via the chassis number?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

Slightly off topic but has anyone registered a vintage vehicle that was never registered before.

I have a 1972 trials bike i purchased privately, it was never registered as these were used off road.
    It has lights,brake light and spedo,years ago i just brought a Honda 50 to local revenue office and they gave me a ZV plate.
    I rang NCT center about this and they demanded original documents and proof of import.

Any ideas guys

feartuath wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but has anyone registered a vintage vehicle that was never registered before.

I have a 1972 trials bike i purchased privately, it was never registered as these were used off road.
    It has lights,brake light and spedo,years ago i just brought a Honda 50 to local revenue office and they gave me a ZV plate.
    I rang NCT center about this and they demanded original documents and proof of import.

Any ideas guys

I would suggest that you get in touch with this club, I'm sure they have members who have being through the process of registering (an unregistered) bike - http://www.ivvmcc.ie/

Advertisement