Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Know your elves - #7 Glitzgirl

• 19-10-2015 8:19am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Happy Monday everyone!

Here we go it's week 7, it's very dark in the mornings now and the nights are getting cold.

Let's kick off, what's your favourite Christmas tv special? Favourite Christmas movie?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

What Christmas tradition would you send to Room 101?

Do you have pets, and if so do you do anything special for them at Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

What was the best Christmas present you ever received?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Loughc wrote: »
    Happy Monday everyone!

Here we go it's week 7, it's very dark in the mornings now and the nights are getting cold.

Let's kick off, what's your favourite Christmas tv special? Favourite Christmas movie?

Hi Loughc ! Sorry bit late on this morning ! So excited to get started ! Ok Christmas TV specials unfortunately not really my cup of tea although I do watch Mr beans Christmas episodes every year , can never get enough of seeing him struggling with the turkey lol
    We are big into Christmas movies here and from the first of December we watch one every evening in sitting room. God there are so many to chose from, but I do love Muppets Christmas Carol !

What Christmas tradition would you send to Room 101?

Do you have pets, and if so do you do anything special for them at Christmas?

I'm a bit of a tradition nut at Christmas time so I don't know if there is any I'd get rid of ! In fact I generally always find something new to add to the list every year. The only thing I did stop doing a few years ago was dragging the kids around to visit relatives on Christmas Eve /morning. My family live a good bit away so kids were so tired and we were always getting home so late and starting preparations so late at night !

My biggest pet peeve was visiting my in laws who insisted it had to be Christmas morning before dinner, so poor kids after being exhausted all night get up to open present then to be told "sorry you can't play with them everybody into the car "! So put a stop to that and do all visiting the day before Christmas Eve and Christmas Eve is all about our little family traditions !

Yes we have 3 dogs and a fish (can't forget that poor fish ) our boxer gets antlers to wear and the two terriers get lovely little coats. Each dog gets its own stocking and Christmas morning they get their own version of a Christmas dinner! The fish gets a clean bowl and a new tank ornament ... I'm definitely not a fish person lol

kitten_k wrote: »
    What was the best Christmas present you ever received?

Oh ! Good question but tough. I personally think I'm very easy to shop for but my OH doesn't seem to agree! :P I don't spend much on me through the year so Christmas I tend to get vouchers and pampering day gifts but last year I got a new phone and two lovely pair of uggs which I was over the moon with! I live with all boys so I embrace the girlyness whenever I can :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Which Christmas song always gets you singing along?

Have you ever spent Christmas abroad?

Real or fake Christmas trees?

Which actor is the best Ebenezer Scrooge?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Clear lights or coloured lights?

Do you decorate your tree in a particular colour?

Do you put up a wreath or have a crib?

Tinsel- yea or nay?

Sprouts- yum or yuck?

Scarinae wrote: »
    Which Christmas song always gets you singing along?

Have you ever spent Christmas abroad?

Real or fake Christmas trees?

Which actor is the best Ebenezer Scrooge?

My favourite song Would have to be mariah Carey all I want for Christmas. I would listen to that all year around!

Last year I was in New York in mid December. It was fantastic. Everyone was wrapped up warm, massive crowds of people. Giant nutcracker statues outside all the banks and hotels. And their was a light show on 5th avenue that was amazing ! I would love to go back again :) I don't know if I'd travel the actual week of Christmas. Some of my family have started taking off to Spain for Christmas which I could personally never do. I think the only exception I'd make for Christmas week would be Lapland ! Love to go there some day.

I love bill ,Murrays rendition of Scrooged! Think he is hilarious !!

Oh Christmas trees I'd be fake all the way! I'm convinced I have a touch of ocd ha I just couldn't be looking at all those gaps and uneven ness not to mention finding needles everywhere! Plus plants come to my house to die so really I'm performing a great service by not killing anymore :)

Posy wrote: »
    Clear lights or coloured lights?

Do you decorate your tree in a particular colour?

Tinsel- yea or nay?

Sprouts- yum or yuck?

Yes I do ! Ha I'm all about the colour coordination ! And I have been known to re change my tree according to my colour scheme in house. In the sitting room I have a lovely rich aubergine and silver and glass tree. That is by far my favourite tree. Any garlands in the room will have decorations to match that tree. That particular tree has static purple lights and it looks fab.

Dining room has a gold and cream theme with warm white static lights to go with my table settings of gold and white.

Kitchen has a general red and white theme, it's a bit more child friendly and mix matched. We have adverts calenders candles etc all touching on the red and white theme. This year I'm hoping to pick up a small thin third tree for the kitchen to put Newbridge silverware decorations on! And we're hoping to set up a hot chocolate bar on the kitchen (note to self must pick up that penguin jar!)

I do let the kids have a little tree in their rooms and it litterly looks like Christmas threw up in their rooms! There is tinsel and ceiling decorations (which I personally hate) and they have multi coloured flashing battery operated lights. It's a good compromise they put what they want up on their tree once it doesn't go on the "nice tree" lol :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Seeing as it's back to the future day, what year would you travel back to for Christmas and why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

If you could have only one, turkey or ham?

Loughc wrote: »
    Seeing as it's back to the future day, what year would you travel back to for Christmas and why?

Oh very good question! I would probably travel back to four years ago. I had a very good relationship with my father in law who became terminally ill in 2011 although his quality of life wasn't affected til a year or so later. I loved him dearly so much so that I ended up moving him in with us despite me having a child with a disability and a newborn baby, so I could continue care for him when he became palative.

When he was well enough to be mobile in his own home I used to call up to him between work shifts and bring him up dinner etc.i spent a lot of time with him and would love to go back to see him at a time he wasn't so ill and the illness hadn't destroyed who he was as a person. We've just had his first year anniversary a while ago and all I could think of was how much I'd give to spend one more Christmas with him in our home. He was a very charitable person who used to Christmas period to help others a tradition which I aim to carry on with his grandchildren and myself every year. This year in his memory we are attending a local shelter where he was a founding member to help serve and prepare Christmas dinner for the residence.

Jude13 wrote: »
    If you could have only one, turkey or ham?

Honey roasted ham without fail every time. Although I may waver now after I have been flicking through the m & s Christmas food catalogue... Some of those turkeys look so good you'd want to lick the page !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

If you HAD to chose just one day to celebrate this year would it be Christmas eve, Christmas day or Stephens day?!

Did you ever 'see' or hear Santa in the house when you were younger?
    I love the way my nieces and nephews are convinced they heard him and Rudolf on the roof :D

What smell instantly comes to mind when you think of Christmas?

snowgal wrote: »
    If you HAD to chose just one day to celebrate this year would it be Christmas eve, Christmas day or Stephens day?!

Did you ever 'see' or hear Santa in the house when you were younger?
    I love the way my nieces and nephews are convinced they heard him and Rudolf on the roof :D

What smell instantly comes to mind when you think of Christmas?

Hi snowgal. It would definitely be Christmas Eve for me here and I think kiddies would agree with me on this one! It really is my favourite day of the year. The whole family spends the day just enjoying each other's company, having our fry up in the morning, our family walk with the dogs before lunch. Then the surprise of finding jingles our elf has suddenly left and said his farewell with a little goody basket for each of us with new pjs etc. sitting up that evening watching Santa take off on the news. You can taste the sense of excitement and anticipation in the air. Never mind trying to get the kids to sleep I still can't sleep Christmas Eve night !

I was convinced when I was about 6 or 7 that we heard bells on the roof! Quiet honestly the most exciting night of my life. I Vividly remembering trying to restrain my younger sister from climbing out the window onto the shed roof to have a look while screaming at my mam that Santa was here :)

A smell that would instantly make me think of Christmas would be cinnamon! I love this time of year it's everywhere ! you can't help but think Christmas

Sprouts- yum or yuck?

Just looking through and I realised I only answered half of this question! Sorry Posy must be my age showing ha I'm clearly letting things slip though the cracks, :p

I have both a crib and several wreaths! The crib goes on the hallway table out of toddlers active little hands. When he gets a bit older it will go in the window or on the fireplace where it belongs ! Wreaths go on every door possible in this house and like the tree they are colour themed to match the rooms. I got a fab really large pre lit battery operated wreath for my front door in the sale in woodies last year so was thrilled with that !

I am actually a veg kinda of girl, actually truth be told I'm just a picky eater but yup I love sprouts broccoli and cauliflower, basically everything bar carrots , carrots (unless cooked in a stew ) Are definitely on my yuck list !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

What's your number one stand out Christmas memory?

You earliest Christmas memory?

When your kids are adults and someone asks them "what do you remember most about Christmas as a child?", what do you hope they say?

Whispered wrote: »
    What's your number one stand out Christmas memory?

You earliest Christmas memory?

When your kids are adults and someone asks them "what do you remember most about Christmas as a child?", what do you hope they say?

Hi whispered ! To be honest my family growing up weren't big on Christmas at all so I have very few memories until I got older and got my own place... that's when the madness began lol :p

My most prominent memory is probably the first Christmas I was pregnant. I was due in January so my partner ( who was a grinch when I met him, poor man didnt know what he was letting himself in for when he met me! :D ) , decided we would go to his parents for Christmas day. My partner is the youngest of two brothers and the only one with his own children. The other brother works abroad. Anyway my father in law was thrilled that he was about to become a grandad (finally !) So was delighted we were calling up for Christmas day.

It was easily the most memorable day I've ever had. My father in law (a paramedic) spent the entire day asking every intimate question you could get asked about a pregnancy. Now its one thing to answer those questions when asked by your doctor it's quiet another when your father in law wants to know everythin from your bathroom and eating habits to reminding us that it was perfectly ok to still have sex during our pregnancy.

Anyway we proceeded to have dinner during which my father in law announced that he had taken extra shifts after Christmas and had told everyone in his station that he would take any local calls. He had also given them my address and told them that if a call came in he would attend that he wanted to deliver his grandchild!! After I finished choking on my sprouts I told him that after that bit of news I would be keeping my legs remained closed and drive myself to the hospital if necessary ! He naturally got offended and reminded me he was a professional who had delivered countless babies over the years and he only wanted to make sure his grandchild got the best care possible etc. I told him I loved him Dearly and knew he meant to be professional but Never the less there are some things your father in law is just not meant to see.
    The day ended nicely after dinner with everyone sitting down to digest there dinner in the sitting room. My partner as he had done every year because he was the baby, had sprawled across the couch until it was time to clear up. Naturally I got up and my father in law gave out stink, said the mother of his unborn grand child wasn't to lift a finger in his house and kicked my partner out to the kitchen to clean while I put my feet up. The last words I heard was my partner mumble "he isn't even here yet and hes already the favourite, the little usurper " !

Overall a brilliant memory and no he didn't end up delivering his grand child as he had hoped :)

My aim is to install a good sense of family and tradition to my children. I hope they remember christmas as traditional fun filled family memories and in turn create their own memories with their children. It's the best gift you can give them in my opinion. I didn't have it in my own childhood so a sense of family is really important to me now.

Since my week is coming to an end I just want to say thanks to everyone who participated and say thanks for making my first "get to know your elves thread " so enjoyable and a great week! :)

That flew by! Here's a few more before we let you get away. :pac:

What's your favourite bar from the selection box, past or present?

Do you have a favourite Christmas drink/cocktail?

What's your all time favourite Christmas ad?

• Advertisement

That flew by! Here's a few more before we let you get away. :pac:

What's your favourite bar from the selection box, past or present?

Do you have a favourite Christmas drink/cocktail?

What's your all time favourite Christmas ad?

Hi posy ! A sure sign we are getting closer to the big day time is flying past! :)

I'm going to be greedy here and say it's not a bar but an actual selection box :p I love the galaxy selection box and yes I shameful stuff my face with it every Christmas morning in my pj's lol :D

I don't actually have one. Hmm may try a few testers and give you an answer to that one next year! I do however love my white wine spritzer on Christmas eve night with Mr glitzgirl while kiddies are in bed and we're waiting for the big man to arrive. (Note will not mention how I'm more tHan likely shoving sweets from a hero's tin in my mouth too while drinking said wine ! God I sound like I never stop eating !) :p

A bit of a cliché but I love the corn flakes add with the little girl who sees santa and says ho Ho Ho at the end. Saying that the guinness adds have been known to bring a tear to my eye and make me want to go horse riding in the snow :D

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    God I sound like I never stop eating ! :p
    You're not supposed to at Christmas! :D

You're not supposed to at Christmas! :D

Woo glad it's not just me with that motto so :D I blame the anticipation in the build up as to the reason that so many tins of sweets or biscuits are bought under the pretense in my house that "sure we'll put them up for Christmas ". I would like to say rip to all those poor sweet treats that never make it that far and that it's purely bc it's Christmas, and its not in any way connected to my terrible will power :p:)

Advertisement