Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PSNI Recruitment 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭MissWillow12

ryanchan wrote: »
    Last year the qualification stage was clearer I don't have English or maths gcse but I have nvq level 2 and 3 in different subject from nwifhe . They are not in English or math. Last year I passed the mark or thought I did. It was a point system and my nvqs got me over the limit of gcse equivalent . this year not so sure as it just says 5 gcse or equivalent including math and English.and when you go to the equivalent page kits less informative. is there anyone here who would have any information that could help can you let me know

What stage did you get to last year? Do you have 5 GCSEs or equivalent? Deloitte are very picky regards the qualifications when you get to the AC stage and I have seen them send people home for not having them. The best thing to do is call recruitment and ask them or use the email from the application process and ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ryanchan

What stage did you get to last year? Do you have 5 GCSEs or equivalent? Deloitte are very picky regards the qualifications when you get to the AC stage and I have seen them send people home for not having them. The best thing to do is call recruitment and ask them or use the email from the application process and ask them.

I didn't get past the first exam lol this time I've been practising for a while now before recruitment even came up hopeing to pass first exam with flying colours. It's been 16 years since gcse. Iv done nvqs since then also computer qualifications and web site design qualifications. I was just unaware I needed my secondary school grade to qualify this time. That's going back awhile

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Derob

I didn't get past the first exam lol this time I've been practising for a while now before recruitment even came up hopeing to pass first exam with flying colours. It's been 16 years since gcse. Iv done nvqs since then also computer qualifications and web site design qualifications. I was just unaware I needed my secondary school grade to qualify this time. That's going back awhile

Ryan
    It does state on the recruitment page that it's needed

Applicants are required to have a minimum of 5 or more GCSEs (or equivalent*) at A*-C grade, including Maths and English Language.

That's extract directly from website! They check first and foremost that you have English and maths :(

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭MissWillow12

It would have to be Maths and English you would need your NvQs in I would imagine but could be wrong. You could try and do couple of courses to get them for the future and future campaigns so that way you defiantly have them. It does say though on the application you must have them at the time of doing the form I believe.

The best thing to do is contact recruitment and ask them to know one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Pmac773

Just got the progression email! First of many stages but still one step closer! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭SamC321

Hi. New to this and first time applying, progression email came through last week. Looking forward to the IST now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bow runner

Just applied and got acknowledgement e-mail. I think there has already been at least 3,000 applications probably more. Puts it all in perspective long,long way to go. Suppose if your not in you can't win, to steal a well known pun from a certain advert.

Anyway good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭IvanT1984

SamC321 wrote: »
    Hi. New to this and first time applying, progression email came through last week. Looking forward to the IST now!!

Are you crazy the IST is the hardest part in my opinion and of the 3 times I applied it tripped me up the first 2 by a single mark

good luck with the application

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bustermoon

Can I just check those who have applied, did you get your acknowledgement email immediately? I applied again last week, made sure everything was complete and confirmation screen came up at the end, but no acknowledgement email yet? I've checked junk mail and every other folder just in case so was wondering does it take a few days to come through? Thanks!! (Think I've blocked those sorts of details out from previous campaigns!)

I got mine approximately a week after online application, wouldn't worry,you will get it.
    Hope that helps, good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Johannes_Cabal

Bustermoon wrote: »
    Can I just check those who have applied, did you get your acknowledgement email immediately? I applied again last week, made sure everything was complete and confirmation screen came up at the end, but no acknowledgement email yet? I've checked junk mail and every other folder just in case so was wondering does it take a few days to come through? Thanks!! (Think I've blocked those sorts of details out from previous campaigns!)

No it takes a while, so don't worry. I applied the day it opened and only received the email last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭hellomoto1234

I always take a screenshot of my completed application, or even print the Web page just encase something like this happens. I know they might not necessarily take that as gospel, but at least it is a wee bit reassuring that you know you've applied and it confirms your application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Welcome to boards newbies (and those still lurking lol)!!!! This site should come with a health warning, very addictive lol.

If there's only 3000 or so applied you should be extremely happy. Over 7500 in C1. Have faith in yourself and you'll do better than you thought possible. I even surprised myself what you can achieve when you put your mind to it, focus and believe. Sounds ridiculous but the power of positive thinking got a lot of us around a PCA course a time or two lol

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bustermoon

Great thanks everyone!!!

IvanT1984 wrote: »
    Are you crazy the IST is the hardest part in my opinion and of the 3 times I applied it tripped me up the first 2 by a single mark

good luck with the application

Thanks IvanT.
    I've heard that quiet a few times, won't be under estimating it! Fed up of doing practice questions and revising for it lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Breaking bad

SamC321 wrote: »
    Thanks IvanT.
    I've heard that quiet a few times, won't be under estimating it! Fed up of doing practice questions and revising for it lol

You should be fine. Key is working fast and accurate as you would imagine. Time goes a lot quicker in the hall

I know there are other options out there but I found this site useful for me. Again please be aware there are other options. Let me know what you think.

<mod snip>

Copy and paste link into your browser or type directly remember to put http:/ first. Forum won't let me paste direct link sorry.

If you do search in google for PSNI recruitment IST help , you will see site listed with alternate options.

Would be interesting to hear any other ideas re:practice.

bow runner wrote: »
    I know there are other options out there but I found this site useful for me. Again please be aware there are other options. Let me know what you think.

<mod snip>

Copy and paste link into your browser or type directly remember to put http:/ first. Forum won't let me paste direct link sorry.

If you do search in google for PSNI recruitment IST help , you will see site listed with alternate options.

Would be interesting to hear any other ideas re:practice.

I done the test three times and as long as you are familiar with the types of questions and what to expect then you'll do fine.

I find things like this hard to revise for as its completely random in a way.

I agree totally it's a very subjective choice. The reason I liked this is that you can set timers on question sets or just practice , practice , practice on numerous questions. More like learning method rather than revising I suppose.

I agree totally it's a very subjective choice. The reason I liked this is that you can set timers on question sets or just practice , practice , practice on numerous questions. More like learning method rather than revising I suppose.

Yea wish I had something like this when I done mine lol. Maybe I wouldn't have failed the first two by a few marks :( in the final stage now so if you don't get it the first time then keep going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Psni26

Hey, I put in my application last wed night I haven't received anything by email is that normal or do you receive anything?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭IvanT1984

Psni26 wrote: »
    Hey, I put in my application last wed night I haven't received anything by email is that normal or do you receive anything?

Thanks

Takes a while for it to come back I put mine in again and it took 10 days and it arrived about 8 or 9pm in the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Psni26

Thanks for letting me know!

Any of the older vintage applying I'm beginning to think I'm only one with a Zimmer frame applying this time around

(DO NOT PUT ACTUAL AGE OR SEX ON POST)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭MikeOneJuliet

Any of the older vintage applying I'm beginning to think I'm only one with a Zimmer frame applying this time around

(DO NOT PUT ACTUAL AGE OR SEX ON POST)

Plenty of older folk apply and make it through. There was a few in my squad 35+. One mid forties.

Psni26 wrote: »

Thanks

I Didn't receive my acknowledgement email for 10 days, wouldn't be worrying yet.

Thanks Mike 1 good to know.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,631 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

It's also not uncommon to see people in their 50s going through the Garnerville experience. You'll be very surprised when you see just how diverse an intake can be, which, IMO, is great to see.

Glad to know that Shield, I suppose the more diverse intake the better?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Momc82

I'm no spring chicken myself. Good to know I'm not alone.

Advertisement