Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My 1986 Mercedes 190 'Cosworth'

• 17-10-2015 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

as per title I'd like to present my 1986 Mercedes 190 'Cosworth' 2.3 16v

I've had here for 5 years now and it's almost ready for road....:)

Mercedes_Cosworth_2_3_16v.jpg

Mercedes_Cosworth_Engine.jpg

Mercedes_Cosworth_Engine_2.jpg

Dash.jpg

Mercedes_Cosworth_i.jpg

fully refurbed rear subframe... just a sample of the work done to her,

image.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Very very nice, love the 190.

Well wear !

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

love the boxy shape :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Fabulous interior!

Is she not a real Cosworth?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Class, will be worth all the effort in the end. Surely they are going to sky rocket in price soon like the e30 m3's

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

Dades wrote: »
    Fabulous interior!

Is she not a real Cosworth?

Yep, its a real Cosworth alright,

some lads get their knickers in a twist over of the whole Cosworth thing because it isnt on the tax book hence the...... 'Cosworth' :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Also cheap tax next year which is a huge bonus. Some serious cars coming into the 56euro tax over next few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

want

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

What year is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭skibum

ba_barabus wrote: »
    What year is it?
    :confused:
    "My 1986 Mercedes 190 'Cosworth'"
    have you read the title of the thread....

Love the car, it is really the dog's boll!x....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

kop77 wrote: »
    Yep, its a real Cosworth alright,

some lads get their knickers in a twist over of the whole Cosworth thing because it isnt on the tax book hence the...... 'Cosworth' :pac:
    Very nice car, enjoy it :).

It isn't and never was such a thing as a Mercedes-Benz Cosworth and I don't think any "tax book" would ever have that mentioned. The Cosworth nick name came from the UK, as the company helped in development of the engine head, which was then improved in the 2.5-16 model.

What it is, it's a 190E 2.3-16. Great car!

• Advertisement

Seweryn wrote: »
    Very nice car, enjoy it :).

It isn't and never was such a thing as a Mercedes-Benz Cosworth and I don't think any "tax book" would ever have that mentioned. The Cosworth nick name came from the UK, as the company helped in development of the engine head, which was then improved in the 2.5-16 model.

What it is, it's a 190E 2.3-16. Great car!

I thought Dades was asking was if it was a real Cosworth or a 190 Cosworth replica as there are a few out there..... but mine is a true Cosworth (W201034)

yes Cosworth is a nick name that came about following the development of the car and as with all good nick names, its now and will always be known as the Mercedes-Benz 190E Cosworth,

many would also argue that the 2.3-16v engine was never improved upon as you were saying, the 2.5-16v has a 'softer' cylinder head and prone to giving a bit of trouble,

the 2.3-16v is the preffered engine among enthusiasts such as myself but the 2.5-16v is not to be sneezed at either, especially of you own a Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.5-16v Evo,

but that's a story for another day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 RNMK

Smashing Cosworth you have there,

best fo luck with her,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

many would also argue that the 2.3-16v engine was never improved upon as you were saying, the 2.5-16v has a 'softer' cylinder head and prone to giving a bit of trouble,

the 2.3-16v is the preffered engine among enthusiasts such as myself but the 2.5-16v is not to be sneezed at either, especially of you own a Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.5-16v Evo,

but that's a story for another day!
    I would probably also prefer the older engine. However, the 2.5 model has a much better cam chain drive system, as it has got a double row chain, not a single one as in the 2.3.

Both are great anyway. At the end of the day whichever you find in a better shape is the one to go for ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Just wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rob555mark

what kind of horsepower she got.

Seweryn wrote: »
    I would probably also prefer the older engine. However, the 2.5 model has a much better cam chain drive system, as it has got a double row chain, not a single one as in the 2.3.

Both are great anyway. At the end of the day whichever you find in a better shape is the one to go for ;).

very true... but if you maintain them they should never give trouble, in theory anyway:D

my timimg chain was replaced by the previous owner at 120k along with new tensioners, cam gears etc. which cost him nearly 2 grand back in 2004,

with 160k now on the clock I'm good for a while, :)

rob555mark wrote: »
    what kind of horsepower she got.

I'll know better in a few months as the cylinder head is coming off for an overhaul, the 16 valves will be replaced or reconditioned and shimmed etc.

that should make a big difference,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I'm pretty sure Wheeler Dealers done one of these on an older episode.

edit: yeah, season 3 episode 5/6.
    If I can remember it was a fairly detailed episode too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

I'm pretty sure Wheeler Dealers done one of these on an older episode.

they sure did,but it was no where near as impressive as this :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

skibum wrote: »
    :confused:
    Love the car, it is really the dog's boll!x....

Apologies I don't know what I was thinking. Is there an airbag fitted? The steering wheel looks like an airbag is fitted.

Car looks smashing BTW

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ Alessandra Full Suicide

Looks beautiful, that engine bay is glorious! I looked for one of these for a long time in the UK before I got the E28 but struggled massively to find anything in decent stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭tc20

That is fantastic kop77, great job.
    You say you've had it 5 years, what condition was it in when you bought it?
    Who did the restoration/rebuild if you don't mind sharing?

tc20 wrote: »
    That is fantastic kop77, great job.
    You say you've had it 5 years, what condition was it in when you bought it?
    Who did the restoration/rebuild if you don't mind sharing?

it was in good nick when I bought it but needed a nice bit of work to get to where it is now,

I did most of the work myself except for any welding etc which was done by a guy in Stradbally Co Laois called Robbie Innes, who I would highly recommend.

there was some rust at the jacking points, which is common with the 190's and me being me I had the sills replaced on both sides instead of patching them up,

red oxide primer and cavity waxed insides of each sill so should last another 30 years!

I got the rear windscreen removed to get a new rubber fitted,

rear subframe came out for an over haul, new shocks, springs, droplinks ARB bushes and drive shaft coupler,

front suspension got the same treatment but I replaced the 2 wishbones rather than just the bushings,

engine and gearbox came out and I done the following;

heater matrix flushed,
    new clutch, flywheel & bearing,
    new slave cylinder,
    new rad hoses and all hose clamps replaced,
    exhaust manifold was polished,
    cam cover, intake manifold, sump and engine pulleys were powder coated,
    new injectors & sleeves fitted,
    power steering box overhauled,
    fitted new expansion tank, windscreen washer tank, radiator and cowling
    got the starter and alternator reconditioned (for the laugh):)
    new battery, plugs, leads & ignition coil
    new bonnet insulation as the old one was getting brittle,

the interior is mint so I just upgraded the speakers and little things like replacing the handbrake button and 2 of the heater knobs because they had some scratches,

which reminds me... I did have the dash out to replace some of the bulbs behind the heater knobs!

none of this really needed to be done bar the rust treatment but the winters are long! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭tc20

ahh,now that's a labour of love :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Fantastic car, wonderful work. I gave up looking for a 2.3 manual, too many dogs out there and they seem to rust worse than standard 190's. Nearly bout a 2.5 auto but it's just not the same to drive at all. Is your Irish reg originally ?
    The values will sky rocket soon enough !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Absolutely stunning car, gorgeous :cool:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,053 ✭✭✭✭beertons

That's a fantastic looking motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Lellostag

That's a fantastic looking car, well done!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

One of my favourites!! More pictures please!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

rear subframe came out for an over haul, new shocks, springs, droplinks ARB bushes and drive shaft coupler,

front suspension got the same treatment but I replaced the 2 wishbones rather than just the bushings,

:pac:

Did you use Meyle, Lemforder or MB parts?

Advertisement