Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Know Your Elves - #6 Baby and crumble

• 12-10-2015 9:55am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Mooooorning!!!

Week 6, the morning are VERY dark, it's getting colder and we are edging closer to November!

Here we go week 6 and this week it's the turn of the very lovely Baby and crumble.

I'll kick off,

1) What is your favourite Christmas Tradition?
    2) Favourite part of the Christmas Dinner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Morning baby and crumble !

Do you or your family have any arts and crafts you like to do at christmas ? Or make homemade gifts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Do you like colourful, mismatched decorations or do you have a colour scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

TOO EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Loughc wrote: »
    1) What is your favourite Christmas Tradition?

Family-wise, I love that my Mum used always pick up one "fancy" bauble every year, and since starting my own collection I've continued that. Sometimes I buy more, but there's always one that's "this years" and it always goes in the front and centre branch of the tree.

But for the last few years myself and my GF and a few friends always go to the Gloria Christmas Concert in St. Patricks Cathedral. It's the proper start of the season for me in lots of ways, and it's something that as a member of the LGBT community I find really important to support. I'm not too sure why I feel that way but I do.
    2) Favourite part of the Christmas Dinner?

ALL OF IT!

TBH I'm a demon for turkey, and I will freely admit to being a complete SAVAGE for my sister-in-laws pancetta and butter roasted Brussels sprouts. Sweet Jesus they are amazing.

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Morning baby and crumble !

Do you or your family have any arts and crafts you like to do at christmas ? Or make homemade gifts ?

I'm kind of a craft nut. Every year I make a few things for hampers for friends and family- sweet chilli jam, flavoured salts and sugars, cranberry sauce, shortbread, and sometimes I infuse gin and vodka (My most loved one was cranberry gin.)

I make a good few presents every year too. I do a lot of patchwork (so folks get a lot of patchwork cushion covers) and pottery, along with photography.

As for actual Christmas crafts, I sometimes make decorations, and I have a homemade yarn wreath for my front door- it's gotten a bit grubby so I need to update it this year!

Do you like colourful, mismatched decorations or do you have a colour scheme?

I cannot do a colour scheme. I really don't like it. My GF's family have a coordinated tree that changes when they redecorate their sitting roomand I really don't get it. When I was growing up my Mum used to buy one new bauble a year for the tree, and it was just whatever took her fancy that year, so there was no "theme".

Don't get me wrong, it's not just "chuck sh*t everywhere!" or anything, and I do like tartan and gold, and white lights and candles... I just think Christmas is about light and fun and colour. It's not about religion for me, so it's a celebration of winter and family.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Forget the savoury food for a second – do you do any Christmas baking?

Do you own any Christmas jumpers? If so, what do they look like?

What Christmas song always gets you singing along?

Scarinae wrote: »
    Forget the savoury food for a second – do you do any Christmas baking?

I bake. I hella bake. I have a standing order in from my Mother-in-law for shortbread, every year. I also make cookies and my Yule Log is a thing of beauty. :P
    Do you own any Christmas jumpers? If so, what do they look like?

I don't actually! I have lots of fairisle which is kinda the same thing... they're festive at least. I have an amazing red and white chunky fair isle scarf that I bought on sale in July and got really funny looks. Joke's on them now, it's toasty out! I would quite like to get this bad boy to show off my football team allegiance AND celebrate the season...

3807163100_20_13_350.jpg

;)
    What Christmas song always gets you singing along?

I sing along to all of them! But my fave for a bit of a sing is probably Welcome Christmas from The Grinch. It's not my overall favourite Christmas song but I can't stop myself from doing the "Fahoo Fores Dahoo Dores" bit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I bake. I hella bake. I have a standing order in from my Mother-in-law for shortbread, every year. I also make cookies and my Yule Log is a thing of beauty. :P

And how does one submit an order? :P

And how does one submit an order? :P

If we have a Christmas meetup I promise I'll bring some! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

What is your favourite Christmas Movie and Christmas Song?

• Advertisement

kitten_k wrote: »
    What is your favourite Christmas Movie and Christmas Song?

All time favourite Christmas movie is The Muppets Christmas Carol. I have to watch it at least twice every year.

And my favourite song is probably It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas by Perry Como.

It just makes me smile every time I hear it. I love loads of Christmas songs, but there's something about the old 40's & 50's standards that I love.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

What is your only at Christmas food treat?

What would be the contents of youf timd machine selection box?

Did you go to 4711 last year? :D

washiskin wrote: »
    What is your only at Christmas food treat?

I don't really have one. I'll eat anything anytime! But I think though, my Dad's St. Stephens Day "hash" that he used to make from the leftovers when I was a youngster to give my Mum a treat after all her work on Christmas Day. I have no idea what he used to do with it, but it was so good.

But I always get cream soda for over Christmas. Has to be Country Spring too. :P
    What would be the contents of youf timd machine selection box?

There'd have to be the old Macaroon bars, in the PAPER wrappers. The new plastic wrapped ones taste different. They just do.

And there were these half egg things when I was younger, they were really odd, they looked like half eggs or turtle shells, and they were just filled with this really bright yellow stuff.
    Did you go to 4711 last year? :D

Hahah, on my big Germany trip? That was the year before last if you'd believe!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

And there were these half egg things when I was younger, they were really odd, they looked like half eggs or turtle shells, and they were just filled with this really bright yellow stuff.

Hahah, on my big Germany trip? That was the year before last if you'd believe!

I think they still exist and are called Eat A Yolk

REALLY?? I could have sworn that was last year! :eek:

REALLY?? I could have sworn that was last year! :eek:

Yup. 2013. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

Is there an image for you (not personal, from the net or something) that defines Christmas for you?

Jude13 wrote: »
    Is there an image for you (not personal, from the net or something) that defines Christmas for you?

Hmmm... Not really. I do love "pin-up" Christmas images though (I'm a vintage nut!) so pics like these are awesome:

b192c21f690cbecce36efa21a4a7e3b3.jpg

ec60a49908de1746065d06573bbd31ee.jpg

I also just spent a few minutes wandering around my Christmas boards on Pinterest and this is ADORABLE.

7a7e5224409c4e1292abd5d58c36923d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

I feel all homesick and Christmasy now. They are brill. The first one especially

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

This is such a lovely thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

What's your favourite Christmassy drink?

• Advertisement

What's your favourite Christmassy drink?

For something alcoholic it would be Pimms Winter or good old fashioned hot whiskey. Winterjack from Jack Daniels is really nice too.

I also like hot apple juice with mulled wine spices if I'm not drinking, and to me, a Chai Tea Latte is like Christmas in a cup!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

What is your favourite Christmas memory?

What is your favourite Christmas memory?

Oh, wow. That's quite a question!

I think it's probably my Mums last Christmas. She was really quite sick with cancer at the time, and my Dad sat us all down and told us it would probably be her last with us. It was awful to hear, but it made us realise we had to make it great. So we all came home for the day (not a usual occurrence, I was the youngest at 26), myself and my brother cooked, we all went mad with presents for each other (because f*ck it) and we all got tipsy and sat around playing the Xbox my parents had gotten me. I remember the look on my Mums face as we all sat around her bickering about whose go it was next (like I said, I'm the youngest at 26 at the time!!!) and she was just so happy.

Bittersweet, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Do you prefer to do your christmas shopping online or going out for a good nose I mean *ahem * look through the shops !

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Do you prefer to do your Christmas shopping online or going out for a good nose I mean *ahem * look through the shops !

I like going for a nose but I prefer buying online, when I'm organised enough in advance. Sadly I end up buying bits right up to the day!!! I love the atmosphere of shopping in town- not in the big shopping centres though, it gets too mad for me and you can't escape anywhere!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Have you ever spent Christmas abroad?

Which actor is the best Ebenezer Scrooge?

If some eccentric Christmas-loving billionaire gave you a load of money with the caveat that you could ONLY spend it on Christmas-related things… What would you use it for?

Have you ever spent Christmas abroad?

No. I'd consider it, only if it was somewhere cold and I wasn't by myself. I would quite like to experience the US at Christmas, and maybe go see a festive football game- they don't care what date it is, if football is meant to be on, football will be on. Thursdays, Sundays and Mondays. This year there's a Christmas Eve game. How cool would that be????
    Which actor is the best Ebenezer Scrooge?

I have a massive soft spot for Michael Cane in The Muppets. I will say I was surprised how good Jim Carrey was.
    If some eccentric Christmas-loving billionaire gave you a load of money with the caveat that you could ONLY spend it on Christmas-related things… What would you use it for?

Presents for all my friends and family. I'd buy my girlfriend the ENTIRE Newbridge sliver decorations collection (she collects them). And I'd get a massive spread for Christmas Day, enough to do a couple of days worth of parties and dinners for everyone. I'd also buy loads of presents and entertainment and food for all the kids (and their families) in Temple St for Christmas Day. Actually, if I had enough I'd do that for every hospital and care home and residential centre in the country.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Favorite Christmas TV Special?

Favorite Christmas TV Special?

All of the Vicar of Dibley specials. Definitely. Especially the one where she gets drunk on Christmas Eve.

I have quite a soft spot for the Glee specials too.

• Advertisement

OMG YOU GUYS I JUST FOUND THEM!!!

365814.jpeg

God bless us, everyone!

Advertisement