Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Know Your Elves - #5 Mud

• 05-10-2015 4:21pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Here we go it's week 5 (5 already!!)

The hamsters seem to be feeling better so lets get this party started before the wheel stops spinning!

I'll kick off,

What is your fondest Christmas Memory?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Loughc wrote: »
    Here we go it's week 5 (5 already!!)

What is your fondest Christmas Memory?

Ah Loughc. I'm lucky enough to have quite a few great Christmas memories! I'll share two with you. One from when I was small and another more recent one :)

When I was 7 or 8 we had had a fabulous Christmas celebration, it was the day after Christmas and we were all in fantastic form (bar the INCIDENT which I'll fill you in on later). This would have been the mid-eighties so there were Walkmans and Care Bears and Big Yellow Teapots to play with. Me and my two brothers and one sister were in the front room with our Da when suddenly we saw an apparition in Red and White dart past the window towards our front door! Cue general stampede to the hallway where we found our Mam dressed as Santa in the cheapest plastic outfit you ever saw bearing a Yamaha keyboard to be shared among us all. Now, the reason for the extra gift was this: My Mammy in all her Irish Mammy glory had decided to cut her beautiful long hair and get that peculiar helmet-like haircut that used to be de rigeur back then. When she had arrived home a couple of days before Christmas sporting her chopped locks she unleashed a scene of chaotic mourning that threatened to blow our entire family apart. Cries of "but whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" and "what did you do with our REAL Mammy" rang through the house and a dark cloud settled on us all. Needless to say the combination of the Real Santa and our Mam's performance served to restore normality and all was well :)

My other more recent memory is a couple of years ago I took my two niblings for a day out to buy presents for their parents and grandparents etc. We had such a nice day and they chose such thoughtful presents that I fell even deeper in love with the two of them. We took a picture together that day and the absolute beams on the three of us having the best day ever. We had chips and burgers and headed home with our plunder. Giving out the gifts a couple of days later was the icing on the cake. I had printed and framed a few copies of the picture and given it to some family members and they all absolutely loved it too. Good times.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

What Christmas song is guaranteed to have you singing along?

When do you put up your Christmas tree?

What are your opinions on snow at Christmastime?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

What's your favourite Christmas film?

What's your favourite part of Christmas dinner?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Christmas tree:

Real or fake?
    Flashing lights or static?
    Clear or coloured?

Do you decorate the outside of your house/garden/patio?
    Do you hang a wreath on your front door?

Scarinae wrote: »
    What Christmas song is guaranteed to have you singing along?

When do you put up your Christmas tree?

What are your opinions on snow at Christmastime?

I know it's a total cliché but 'Driving Home for Christmas' brings the nostalgia for me. And, I do a mean Chris Rea impression :p It reminds me of me and two friends doing the aforementioned driving home for Christmas and that song was just on every station to the point of us absolutely cracking up every time we heard it come on.

I actually don't have my own Christmas tree :eek: I leave that to my Ma and Da. I usually have quite a festive aloe vera plant though :pac:

Snow at Christmas is lovely to look at but alas I live in a rural place for rural people so it usually causes more bother than it's worth. I love playing in it and looking at it. Driving not so much!

• Advertisement

What's your favourite Christmas film?

What's your favourite part of Christmas dinner?

I think my heart still belongs to 'The Muppets' Christmas Carol'. It never fails to cheer me up and there's so many jokes. It's a gag-a-minute.

My favourite part of the dinner is the combination of potato stuffing, roast potato and cranberry in one mouthful. Divine.

Posy wrote: »
    Christmas tree:

Real or fake?
    Flashing lights or static?
    Clear or coloured?

Do you decorate the outside of your house/garden/patio?
    Do you hang a wreath on your front door?

Real all the way but as I said earlier, it's my Ma and Da's gig not mine!

I prefer static lights.

Lots of colour! :)

Whoops! Forgot the last two questions :) I have string lights for my windows but I don't bother with a wreath because knowing my luck I'd poke my feckin' eye out :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Do you not decorate your own place, or are you living at home and just don't get a say in the decorating? :pac:

Posy wrote: »
    Do you not decorate your own place, or are you living at home and just don't get a say in the decorating? :pac:

I don't really decorate much for Christmas specifically but my house is usually overflowing with colourful, unusual sh1te so it actually looks like Christmas all year round! I'm lucky I live alone, I doubt anyone else would put up with my taste :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Hi Mud!

Do you start your christmas shopping early or do you like the chaotic last minute present shopping the day before christmas eve !

Do you own any (or many :) ) christmas jumpers and if so what is your favourite !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Roses or quality street?

Celebrations or miniatures heroes?

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Hi Mud!

Do you start your christmas shopping early or do you like the chaotic last minute present shopping the day before christmas eve !

Do you own any (or many :) ) christmas jumpers and if so what is your favourite !

I generally have the big presents out of the way by December but I love going around the shops to see what I can see and I always buy myself lots of treats and stock up on toiletries etc around then too.

I own 3 Christmas jumpers. One of them I got in a shop called The Edge in Limerick, down by the Milk Market. It is a lime green machine knit cardigan with a zip up the front, white cuffs and trim and snowmen on the front and a couple of bells. So ugly I love it! I have a fleece one from Penneys that's lined with furry stuff on the inside and is the most comfortable thing ever. My sister bought me a Minions Christmas Jumper last year. I don't know much about Minions aside from Despicable Me but I actually wear that one around the house a lot. It's baggy and warm.

Loughc wrote: »
    Roses or quality street?

Celebrations or miniatures heroes?

I will happily eat the ones I like out of all of the above! The Mothership's house is always rammed with chocolate. I'm partial to an aul Toffifee or box of Maltesers too.

Lidl do these amazing almonds covered in chocolate powder at Christmas and they are my all out decadent, seasonal treat. Like crack so they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Mars or Cadbury Selection Box?

Do you buy a food treat at Christmas that you wouldn't buy during the year?

And, finally, time machine Selection Box contents?

:)

washiskin wrote: »
    Mars or Cadbury Selection Box?

Do you buy a food treat at Christmas that you wouldn't buy during the year?

And, finally, time machine Selection Box contents?

:)

Historically it would have been Cadbury's hands down but lately the overall quality of Mars is better I find.

I buy the aforementioned almonds covered in chocolate powder, M&S pork pies, all manner of Fancy Dan sauces and jellies, a gooey dessert because I'm not one for Christmas pudding or cake as I don't appreciate the flavours or textures. On the other hand a nice white chocolate cheesecake . . .

Time machine selection box:

Cadbury's Secret

Cadbury's Top Deck

Old-style Curly Wurly (not the regimented unfun modern version)

Wispa

Whole-Nut bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emmagination

Hi Mud!

I cannot believe we're five weeks in already :O

Do you have any Christmas traditions?
    Do you prefer Christmas Eve / Christmas Day / St. Stephen's Day?

Hi Mud!

I cannot believe we're five weeks in already :O

Do you have any Christmas traditions?
    Do you prefer Christmas Eve / Christmas Day / St. Stephen's Day?

Christmas Traditions: Taking my niblings out for the day to do shopping. We're heading into our fourth year now :)

Ham sandwiches in Ma's gaff on Christmas Eve night after the pub.

We exchange gifts on Christmas Eve too.

I prefer Christmas Eve because it's always a nice busy day and the majority of people are in good form. Love when the shops close and the pub gets very inviting. Seeing all the folk who are home for Christmas and staggering home to ravage the ham at some point. Then relax and off to bed so Santa can come :)

Advertisement