Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Doctor Who Spin Off "Class"

Options
  • 01-10-2015 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,285 ✭✭✭✭

BBC Three announces Doctor Who Spin Off
    BBC Three today announces Class - a new 8 x 45 minute Doctor Who spin off from the acclaimed YA author, Patrick Ness. Class is a YA series set in contemporary London. Incredible dangers are breaking through the walls of time and space, and with darkness coming, London is unprotected. With all the action, heart and adrenalin of the best YA fiction (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Hunger Games), this is Coal Hill School and Doctor Who like you’ve never seen them before.

Steven Moffat says, “No one has documented the dark and exhilarating world of the teenager like Patrick Ness, and now we're bringing his brilliant story-telling into Doctor Who. This is growing up in modern Britain - but with monsters!”

On his first television series, writer Patrick Ness says, "I'm astounded and thrilled to be entering the Doctor Who universe, which is as vast as time and space itself. There's so much room there for all kinds of amazing stories, and to work with Steven Moffat and Brian Minchin to find a place to tell one of my own has been an absolute joy. I can't wait for people to meet the heroes of Class, to meet the all-new villains and aliens, to remember that the horrors of the darkest corners of existence are just about on par with having to pass your A-Levels."

Damian Kavanagh, Controller BBC Three adds, “We’re excited to give Patrick Ness this opportunity to work with us at BBC Three and the Doctor Who family. Patrick understands young audiences and I’m delighted he will use his incredible skills as a storyteller to delight audiences on BBC Three. BBC Three will always innovate and offer opportunities for brilliant new talent."

Polly Hill, Controller BBC Drama Commissioning, adds, “I am thrilled that Patrick Ness is writing his first drama series for BBC Three. The combination of Patrick and Steven Moffat, is an exciting partnership that has created a brilliant Doctor Who spin off for our BBC Three audience.”

Class is executive produced by Steven Moffatt, Patrick Ness and Brian Minchin. It was commissioned by Damian Kavanagh, Controller BBC Three and Polly Hill, Controller BBC Drama Commissioning.

An 8 x 45 minute series produced by BBC Cymru Wales in association with BBC Worldwide for BBC Three.

The series will film in and around Wales from Spring, 2016 and be on air next year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/entries/953c5b1f-3cc8-4db9-8184-f1b6567260f1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

So is that Clara's school?

EDIT:

Yes it is. And apparently it's also where some classic who was set.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I love Patrick Ness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭flazio

This is the same BBC Three that's shutting down and going online only right?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

flazio wrote: »
    This is the same BBC Three that's shutting down and going online only right?

Eventually. One can surmise this will be a flagship commission for the new "improved" BBC Three

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Slightly strange decision, I had honestly figured the BBC were done with the Dr. Who spin-offs, but this seems like something that could be cheap & cheerful I guess.

It's no Paternoster Gang mind you, pity there's no sign of a spin-off for them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

pixelburp wrote: »
    Slightly strange decision, I had honestly figured the BBC were done with the Dr. Who spin-offs, but this seems like something that could be cheap & cheerful I guess.

It's no Paternoster Gang mind you, pity there's no sign of a spin-off for them!

I'm guessing that the BBC are sticking the Doctor Who name to something in the hopes that it will sell it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Piff,

Bring back Torchwood!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Patrick Ness is a brilliant writer. If you haven't read A Monster Calls I suggest you go and do that right now.

About the BBC3 thing, apparently the episode will air first on BBC3 online, then when it airs on BBC 1 the next episode will go up on BBC3 online. So basically if you want to watch it on TV it's BBC 1, but the next episode will be available online immediately after.

Piff,

Bring back Torchwood!!!
    The Audio company, Big Finish have done so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sounds interesting, I look forward to it :)

• Advertisement

Main cast revealed today. 4 student characters and an adult. Katherine Kelly playing the adult. Two girls I've never heard of, the guy who played Mr Selfridge's son on Mr. Selfridge and another guy who I've seen in a couple of things like River and Silent Witness.

The basic plot seems to be two people are the only survivors of a planet that was massacred and someone (Dr Who presumably) arranged for a safe place for them to stay. Problem is they hate one another and they also have A levels to study for.

Is BBC 3 available online here or is it like the iPlayer? Are we actually going to be able to see this in Ireland?

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/class-first-look-main-cast-revealed-for-new-doctor-who-spin-off?platform=hootsuite

Main cast revealed today. 4 student characters and an adult. Katherine Kelly playing the adult. Two girls I've never heard of, the guy who played Mr Selfridge's son on Mr. Selfridge and another guy who I've seen in a couple of things like River and Silent Witness.

The basic plot seems to be two people are the only survivors of a planet that was massacred and someone (Dr Who presumably) arranged for a safe place for them to stay. Problem is they hate one another and they also have A levels to study for.

Is BBC 3 available online here or is it like the iPlayer? Are we actually going to be able to see this in Ireland?

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/class-first-look-main-cast-revealed-for-new-doctor-who-spin-off?platform=hootsuite
    As I understand it, anything new on BBC Three must be repeated on a main channel. (most likely BBC Two.

As I understand it, anything new on BBC Three must be repeated on a main channel. (most likely BBC Two.

Yeah, I saw one of their newer shows was on BBC 2 the other day. Hopefully it will be the same for this.

EDIT: I just read back through the thread and see my own post saying it will be on BBC 1 an episode behind what's on BBC 3 online.

Do we have an air date for this yet?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Do we have an air date for this yet?

Apparently not; still only a case of 'sometime in 2016' and broadcast on BBC3 online, then BBC1.

So small update; if Empire are to be believed the show will air in 'October'. It was mentioned at the end of an interview with creator Patrick Ness & if true, a trailer can't be far away either.

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/class-patrick-ness-talks-doctor-spin/

Filming has wrapped up, and the first promo, 'in-episode' photo cropped up. Confirmed are night settings and guns ;)

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/class/37676/class-filming-has-wrapped-on-doctor-who-spin-off

They're at the New York Comic-con, possibly this weekend, so I wouldn't be surprised if we get some sort of trailer there.

There's already a pretty dedicated fan base for this show and I think that photo is the first non posed cast photo thing we've had for it. I'm just imagining a lot of really disappointed people if it turns out to be rubbish :D

I don't think it will be though.

Oh look, the characters have names....

Did we know this?

395937.png

The drip-feed of news increases a little with ... ... a logo! And an ambiguous promotional image. The logo's a bit uninspiring mind you; not exactly the most important aspect of a TV show but a little creativity or individualism would have been nice.

Courtesy of: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/entries/782c969c-047e-442a-9543-d4fde369118a

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/Patrick_Ness/status/779344051917164544

I assume for those of us without access to whatever BBC3 is these days the episodes will be on BBC 1 in or around the same time.

https://twitter.com/Patrick_Ness/status/779350092226654209

It was also announced via press release that The Doctor will show up in the first episode, so it's definitely going to keep itself fairly close to the 'main' universe.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

A few photos of P Cap on set have been circulating around their twitters too.

Well, that's me definitely watching, jonesing for some new Who!

First (teaser) trailer has landed, and it's very Doctor focused, to the point where there's not much to take from the promo. I guess the tone seems like it'll be pretty dark & serious instead of fun & frothy, but who knows.

pixelburp wrote: »
    First (teaser) trailer has landed, and it's very Doctor focused, to the point where there's not much to take from the promo. I guess the tone seems like it'll be pretty dark & serious instead of fun & frothy, but who knows.

Based purely on it being Patrick Ness I'd say it will be a bit more serious than frothy but I don't think it will go very dark. I'm kind of imagining something along the lines of Buffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

That should be the teaser for the next season of Torchwood.

Full trailer. Looks awesome. Can't wait!

It certainly looks ... BBC3 all right! ;) Slightly chaotic editing in that trailer, but it looks like it might be half decent.

Do we know yet when it will be on BBC 1 for those of us who can't access BBC 3 online?

• Advertisement

Do we know yet when it will be on BBC 1 for those of us who can't access BBC 3 online?

I heard / read it was going to air on bbc1 the next day or thereabouts.

Advertisement