Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Athlone ¾ Marathon, Sunday 4th Oct 2015 at 10:30am

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great race, literally passes my family home front door. Shall be on marsalling duties again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I've just signed up. i figured what better way to prepare for the marathon than by doing a 3/4 marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

I'd love to do this but the date doesn't suit.

Are there any other 3/4 marathon's in Ireland? I can't find any.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

Pink11 wrote: »
    I'd love to do this but the date doesn't suit.

Are there any other 3/4 marathon's in Ireland? I can't find any.

The first and still the only one in Ireland :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dublin9210

Great event and hope to do this one.Will probably run 15-20 seconds per mile slower than marathon pace.Great race for preparing for the big day and the art of taking on water/gels during the race.Really well run by runners who know how to put on a great race.

Would highly recommend for first time marathon runners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Must admit I've never seen that race distance before. I'm sure if they billed it as an "Ultra Mini Marathon" they would double the numbers competing!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Best to enter today if you're going to join us for this run.

Entry price goes up at midnight tonight.

We've also just set up discount code for an Irish Runner promo that will be running on next magazine, but it should work today for a €5 discount on top of lower price.

Code: IRISHRUNNER

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Im in and looking forward to it...

Just checked my training log and haven't run this long since DCM 13, should be fun in the latter stages...

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

bazman wrote: »
    Best to enter today if you're going to join us for this run.

Entry price goes up at midnight tonight.

We've also just set up discount code for an Irish Runner promo that will be running on next magazine, but it should work today for a €5 discount on top of lower price.

Code: IRISHRUNNER

Signed up today using the code. I've heard good things so looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭ooter

Wouldn't be familiar with athlone at all, would the 0800 train from Dublin (arriving at 0920) leave me enough time to get to the start area?

• Advertisement

ooter wrote: »
    Wouldn't be familiar with athlone at all, would the 0800 train from Dublin (arriving at 0920) leave me enough time to get to the start area?

Not when they want you there for 9.30am, the race start is a good twenty minutes from the train station. Drop the organisers an email about what time the bus pick up from the train station is at Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭ooter

tang1 wrote: »
    Not when they want you there for 9.30am, the race start is a good twenty minutes from the train station. Drop the organisers an email about what time the bus pick up from the train station is at Sunday morning.

Sorry, didn't know about having to be there for 0930, just seen that it was a 1030 start.
    Thanks

ooter wrote: »

We will have a bus waiting at the train station for this arrival to bring you to the hotel to register and race. It would have to be over 30mins late to miss the start. We are aware of this train and will have c. 10 on the train, so we will hold registration open to facilitate those travelling by public transport.

We do have a 10:30 start this year, but generally all our public transport folk are on the premises before 10am.

Fleece this year guys. We reckon this will be very useful for the winter training months. You can see it on our facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/athlone3quartermarathon

We'll sell out shortly. Enter by tomorrow to get personalised race number.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭brennarr

Just registered for the 3/4 this evening. Looking forward to it.

Have heard how great this race is great for preparing for the big day.

Any locals know the story around parking in the area ?

Given that Im driving down from Dublin before, I want to ensure I have enough time to get parked up, warmed up etc.

MisterDrak wrote: »

Given that Im driving down from Dublin before, I want to ensure I have enough time to get parked up, warmed up etc.

Parking at race headquarters in Glasson Golf Club, keep the t-shirt on this time and don't be scaring the locals!!!

MisterDrak wrote: »

While there will be sufficient parking, do allow time to get from car park to race HQ as it may be up to a 10min walk. There is very limited parking available at the hotel, with preference given to those with full cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

I'm trying to sign up with the code IRISHRUNNER, does anyone know if its still valid?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭brennarr

Phoole wrote: »
    I'm trying to sign up with the code IRISHRUNNER, does anyone know if its still valid?

Worked for me last night.

• Advertisement

brennarr wrote: »
    Worked for me last night.

works now... cheers!

Signed up.. hoping this will be perfect prep for my first marathon! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Phoole wrote: »
    Signed up.. hoping this will be perfect prep for my first marathon! :eek:

+1 I'm hoping to stay with the 4 hour marathon pacer at 9:40/mile pace. Last LSR before the big day

tang1 wrote: »
    Parking at race headquarters in Glasson Golf Club, keep the t-shirt on this time and don't be scaring the locals!!![/QUOTE

Cant promise anything is the temps rise on the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

anyone got a spare entry going for this?

Best of luck to all doing this on Sunday, see yiz all just before mile 10. Look out for the signpost for tang, it does exist.

Cheers T, ill have the shirt off just for you :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

How are people who are doing the Dublin marathon treating this race? Will any of you be racing flat out?

I was thinking of 6 miles @ MP+1minute followed by the balance (say 14) @ MP? With Dublin 3 weeks away would this approach be too agressive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

How are people who are doing the Dublin marathon treating this race? Will any of you be racing flat out?

I was thinking of 6 miles @ MP+1minute followed by the balance (say 14) @ MP? With Dublin 3 weeks away would this approach be too agressive?

I would recommend not to do any MP miles, instead use it as a long steady run. If you run do decide to run some marathon miles do so in the middle as the finish is a tough one.

It's a race that if done too aggressively will tell come the marathon. A long steady run is a great session and won't leave you completely flogged. It's a challenging route so I think it's best to be cautious and not run it too hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭vanderlyle

I did Moone last week. 16 miles at my target marathon pace. I'm looking to do something similar here. As I'm a novice, my MP is (hopefully) a touch on the conservative side, because I just don't know what those last few miles will do to me in the marathon. So it's a pace which enables me to get the MP miles done in Athlone without killing myself ahead of Dublin.

For someone who is faster, more experienced, and in tune with their marathon pace, I don't think they'd consider running all of this at MP, and definitely not racing it flat out. It's too much and too close.

Advertisement