Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Val Thorens 2016.

Options
  • 29-09-2015 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Howdy,

A few of us are thinking of heading to val thorens this year for a week.

Can anyone recommend
    -Accommodation
    -Airport Transfers
    -Things to do
    -Places to Apres Ski (The most important one)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Only question I can answer is the transfer one - I always end up getting Ben's Bus to the 3V. I'd say Ben is a rich sod, because they're very expensive and always full.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

cormee wrote: »
    Only question I can answer is the transfer one - I always end up getting Ben's Bus to the 3V. I'd say Ben is a rich sod, because they're very expensive and always full.

Still the cheapest transfer, anything else I priced up was at least 140 return. However fair from the best service, took it from Grenoble to Tignes last yr, on the way up the driver (who was an utterly useless disinterested French man), missed one stop to drop off a passager, and had to do a crazy 25min uturn and trip back down the hill. On the way home our flight was at about 2pm, only transfer that suited was leaving at 6am, basically a solid 12hrs trip home for me ugh. If we happen to go with VT this year (between there and Chamonix at the sec), we'll 100% be renting a car, between 5 of us would work out at about 70euro each return, wayyyyy quicker and much less hassle etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Timmaay wrote: »
    Still the cheapest transfer, anything else I priced up was at least 140 return. However fair from the best service, took it from Grenoble to Tignes last yr, on the way up the driver (who was an utterly useless disinterested French man), missed one stop to drop off a passager, and had to do a crazy 25min uturn and trip back down the hill. On the way home our flight was at about 2pm, only transfer that suited was leaving at 6am, basically a solid 12hrs trip home for me ugh. If we happen to go with VT this year (between there and Chamonix at the sec), we'll 100% be renting a car, between 5 of us would work out at about 70euro each return, wayyyyy quicker and much less hassle etc.

Yeah, we rented a people carrier last year going to Les Arcs. Much, much nicer experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 xchancellor

We used LOYET last April, although it was booked through the UCPA VT at €70/80 return.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

I've driven Geneva to Val thorens, was about 2 and a half hours and easy, definitely the cheapest way if there is more than one of you

Also in my experience rental cars are far cheaper if booked in advance so the quicker you make your decision the better

Get snow tires. Think they are standard from the "swiss" side of Geneva airport, possibly not from the French side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭maddness

You can hire a car from the French or Swiss side of Geneva airport and the French side is always cheaper. However the Swiss cars all have winter tyres and a Vignette on the windscreen (allowing you to drive in Swiss motorways) which cost about €40.
    The Swiss car rental is just outside departures on the right hand side and the French is a good 10 or 15 minute walk on the other side of the airport.

Last year we were in our rental car and on our way within about 20 minutes of landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

would ya get away with normal tires, and snow chains in the boot?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭hognef

Legally I think you might, but why would you risk it? Also, snow chains are for extremes, not for normal driving. Have you ever fitted chains? It's not as easy as it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭karl83

No it's against the law, your not only risking your own life but the lives of others. I've seen too many punters chance it in val D'Isére and cause havoc for others

• Registered Users Posts: 34 garethj

Does anyone here have any ski instructors in Val Thorens that they would recommend for private individual lessons please?

• Advertisement
Advertisement