Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Reviews

1464748495052»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Dubdude

Would anyone know how busy Ben Dunne Carlisle is first thing in the morning. Thinking of joining as it is on my way to work so would be handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 BrigitaKont

Does anyone knows something about Ben Dunne Gym in Jervis st?

I live in D7, working in D3. Really wanna go to Westwood but it's too expensive for me at the moment. Looking for something else close to work or somewhere around oconell st or even close to Phibsborough (home)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

kitten_k wrote: »
    Anybody ever use TNDO Fitness East Wall? Am thinking of using them for PT sessions.

Anyone know about this place?

hey living in portobello and looking into gyms nearby

your fitness gym
    icon health club
    iveagh fitness
    swan

can anybody recommend one over the other or recommend any others in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

ronnoco13 wrote: »
    hey living in portobello and looking into gyms nearby

your fitness gym
    icon health club
    iveagh fitness
    swan

can anybody recommend one over the other or recommend any others in the area

Raw is Portobello.

YF would be my second choice.

The Swan is pants unless you like lots of cardio machines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Joined Southside Stength and Fitness in Sandyford recently. Great gym and atmosphere with an unreal setup. Has strongman stuff for anyone interested in that too. 40 quid a month or 400 for the year.

I get in there normally about 7am and there's <10 people most of the time. Called in at 6pm one evening and is wasn't packed either. Would definitely recommend it to anyone.

http://www.southsidestrengthandfitness.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Dubdude wrote: »
    Would anyone know how busy Ben Dunne Carlisle is first thing in the morning. Thinking of joining as it is on my way to work so would be handy.

It's busy enough in the morning, you won't be waiting for equipment, maybe the squat rack, or the battle ropes/ prowler but it's busier than any other gym I've been in between 6 and 8am. I don't think Carlisle is ever quiet tbh, the car park is always relatively full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Mental_Legend

Can anyone tell me what the Ben Dunne gym in Blanchardstown is like? I'd mainly be going for cardio, resistance machines, possibly some free weights, and the pool. I'd be using the gym in the evenings and on weekends. The only potential issue is that I live about 20 minutes away by car. The price is very good though, much cheaper than anywhere around Ratoath (where I live) or Ashbourne. Is it worth the journey?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Hey Guys,

Anyone joined to ICON on camden street and would give some insight?

Looking to join up as I work in town.

I plan on dropping in the next week or two but some unbiased opinions would be great!

Cheers

TS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭LostArt

Hold off and join Flye on Georges St when it opens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I live in Tyrrelstown but I was looking at Leisure point in Finglas as it is on my bus route home. What is that gym like or should I keep looking elsewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Hi, can anyone recommend TNT in Blackrock? I'm a woman looking to get into weight training but I haven't much to spend. I'm also a complete novice :o

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone recommend TNT in Blackrock? I'm a woman looking to get into weight training but I haven't much to spend. I'm also a complete novice :o

I trained in TNT a few times. Found it very adequate. It has everything you need and a good amount of racks.
    It is a weightlifting gym, their cardio machines are limited and were mostly broken when i was there in the summer.
    The people working there were helpful and sound. Saw a PT stop his session to run over and stop someone lifting a way that was going to hurt him.

To be straight though, its not a very nice gym, you wouldnt be using the showers and there isn't any nice stretching floor areas. But as a functional gym, it is good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭LostArt

To be straight though, its not a very nice gym, you wouldnt be using the showers and there isn't any nice stretching floor areas. But as a functional gym, it is good

I second this bit, I love it because it's a weightlifting gym but a lot of people won't like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

Thanks guys. It wouldn't bother me to shower at home, but it'd be nice to have the option.

Also looking at Raw on Richmond St as I work in the area. Any opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Ilyana 2.0 wrote: »
    Also looking at Raw on Richmond St as I work in the area. Any opinions?

Great gym.

Plenty of equipment: 2 squat racks,
    2 power rack, 2 benches and lots of dumbbells and fixed weight barbells. Good variety of machines.

Lunchtime was relatively quiet anytime I was there. It gets busy from about 5.45 on.

Nice vibe as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

ulinbac wrote: »
    Just moved near the Sportsco gym on South Lotts Road.

Any recent reviews of the place?

It's not for you if you like free weights. One proper squat rack, along with a multigym yoke that has another rack in it, but this usually gets taken over for a circuit class around 7 every evening.

Nowhere to deadlift, and I once got told off for deadlifting on the floor as "it's not designed for it". Banks of cardio machines, and a fairly basic selection of weights machines. Gets very busy in the evenings. Lots of classes eye if that's your thing. Lovely pool and jacuzzi/steam/sauna which I still use, but won't go near the gym.

Have taken on membership in Witness fit in Castleforbes in D1. Very much the rough and ready "Raw" style vibe, loads of racks, bars, Dumbbells and space for deadlifting/cleans etc, along with an astro turf space for tyre flips, prowler and battle ropes etc. no showers is the main drawback, but as a pure lifting gym it's perfect.

Generally a good vibe as all the trainers seem to be mates with each other so there's generally a bit of craic around the place and a good buzz. I have no attachment I just like the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Has anyone found that the Ben Dunne Carlisle gym has gotten worse in the recent months? It is the busiest I have ever seen it with queues for most machines at any hour. Some members of staff are very unhelpful and if you ask them a question you get very abrupt answers and they seem put out by having to answer.

Broken equipment takes forever to get fixed, or sometimes just disappears altogether! There's also been a clock that has stopped for over 3 weeks now with no sign of anyone bothering to put in a battery.

You'd think with all the new memberships that they could spare a couple of pennies to maintain a certain standard in the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Zorin100

With many years of being a member of a gym in many countries around the world. I would recommend avoiding Energie Parkwest. I google the gym and found what i thought to be an excellent offer, on arrival the energetic Sales person whisked me around the facilities, though many looked worn and few members actually in the gym I was given explanations of replacing equipment and an outstanding service verbally. Also viewing the pool from the gallery gave little evidence of what i found on my first visit to be shabby, and a poor experience than what was sold to me.

The sales person was excellent at their job and persuade me to part with a years membership upfront.

On further discussions with another member it was quickly discovered that i had been hoodwinked and not the only person to be misled. I filled a form to request a refund within 72 hours of joining and the measures by Shane and the MD Jim on trying to get my money back has been outrageous. I am now taking further action via the appropriate avenues but recommend friends, colleagues and those with concerns to avoid experiencing a similar situation as i have had!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Zorin100 wrote: »
    On further discussions with another member it was quickly discovered that i had been hoodwinked and not the only person to be misled.

But what's actually wrong with the gym? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 LoveBiscuits

Zorin100 wrote: »
    With many years of being a member of a gym in many countries around the world. I would recommend avoiding Energie Parkwest.
    Blacktie. wrote: »
    But what's actually wrong with the gym? :confused:

Wow, I'm a lurker around here and practically never reply/post but after reading what you wrote on Energie Parkwest I felt the need to echo your thoughts. I've been a member here for over a year now and while I find the staff are all very nice and approachable, the gym itself is awful! I'm a member out of convenience really. I work nearby. Recently there was 14 cardio machines out of order for a long period of time, The dumbbells are in tatters with chunks of rubber and weight numbers missing from most of them, The place is filthy! Dust everywhere, Rotted floorboards from bad air conditioning units constantly dripping, Grimy steamroom and pool floor. Filthy lockers, an entrance finger print scanner that rarely works.

They recently got "new" equipment but it's all second hand as far as I can tell. I've only used the "new rowing machines" and the chain on the one I used kept slipping! Caused me to crack my shins on the handle when I gave it a pull with mid workout and was met with zero resistance! There was a stretching area that's now replaced with an "astro" mat and weight sled. There's usually classes on so can't stretch in that room. Haven't figured out where to stretch/warm up yet that's not in the way.

They've now rearranged some of the weights area with the free weights area being overcrowded with cable machine put in there. No idea why they moved the squat rack away from the mirror where you could keep an eye on your form. But now they put the bench press there so your back is to the mirror! what's the point ?

All the above is just my observations and opinions on the place but have heard similar thoughts from other members spoken aloud in the locker room!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Joined Ben Dunne Cheerywood in June.

A very large gym in a modern building. Every equipment you want and lacks nothing. Overall very happy with the gym and at €21 a month I think it is great value. The machines are well kept and are rarely out of order. The staff are friendly too.

However it gets very busy in the weights area in the evening between 6-8pm, clears up a bit after 8pm . The cardio area never seems to busy and there will always be a treadmill, bike or crosstrainer available even at peak.

The opening hours are not great. Closes at 5.30 pm on Sunday and Saturday and 9.30 on Thursday and Friday. It also lacks a scales that tells you yout your BF.

All in all great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

Anyone recommend a gym in Coolock/Raheny area. I mostly do weights but trying incorporate more cardio. I used to be in Ben Dunne cherrywood which was excellent, so am hoping to get somewhere similar this side of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Im in westwood clontarf and have to say its a fantastic Gym.Classes from 6/7 am until 9 at night.Tons of classes with great variety.
    HUge weights area,tons of benches,huge selection of weights,functional fitness aea and a boxing gym/room with ring and many hanging boxing bags ideal for anyone wanting to use boxing/boxfit to keep inshape.Skipping ropes,pads and gloves etc etc provided.
    Great spa area with steam room,hot tub/Jacuzzi and massive 50 metre pool with kids play area.
    For kids there is also a massive jungle gym and smaller toddler area for them to play in.
    Classes to suit everyone -boxfit,spin HIIT,kettlebells, rig fitness/circuits etc etc.
    Its is one of the more expensive gyms but if you are going to use it frequently its hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Ah yes Westwood, the gym for weak yuppies, dad bods as far as the eye can see

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

You've obviously never been to westwood.

Advertisement