Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Know Your Elves - #4 Snowgal

Options
  • 28-09-2015 8:03am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Here we go! It's Monday morning boooo but it's the last Monday in September so yayyyyy.

We are getting even closer to the best time of the year.

This week we're joined by the very cool Snowgal :D

I'll kick off. When does your decorations go up? What's your typical breakfast on Christmas morning?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Do you have any parts of Christmas that most people love, but that you don't like? Like maybe you hate Christmas Pud, or can't stand tinsel on the tree...

What would your dream present this year be?

Christmas Eve vs Christmas Day vs St. Stephens' Day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

Thanks Loughc! Excited!!

Decorations usually go up the first weekend in December. Sometimes we do them when the Toy show is on, depends what date! While Im a Christmaholic, in a strange way I TRY to hold off putting them up too early cos once its done Im raging I cant do it again for another year!!!! I love putting them up, one of my favourite parts of Christmas..

We're not great breakfast people at all during the year. And we always end up staying up too late on Christmas eve so the morning is usually a get up, turkey in, open one present and run, panic time! So Christmas breakfast is usually just a coffee at home (and maybe a sneaky sausage roll that OH makes, they are devine!) and then we all head to one of my siblings house and meet all the kiddies and family. Lots of champers, wine and nibbles, love it! So I guess thats kinda my breakfast :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Hi snowgal

When do you start your christmas shopping ?

Who normally cooks christmas dinner and what could you not live without for christmas dinner !

Do you colour Co ordinate your christmas decorations or just a festive free for all! :)

Do you have any parts of Christmas that most people love, but that you don't like? Like maybe you hate Christmas Pud, or can't stand tinsel on the tree...

What would your dream present this year be?

thanks baby and crumble
    Yes I have a few! I dont like pudding, mince pies or Christmas cake! (currants!) I dont really go for the whole sweets, chocolates thing, I just want my savoury dinner, lots of it!! I dont like the sales, aghhhhhh! You wouldnt find me near a shop around that time, its the worst thing I can imagine doing over Christmas :p

Dream present is a tough one...I dont have anything paricular in mind but I love something really sentimental or thoughtful..OH is great and so generous with pressies. He always gets me the swarovski (sp) christmas snowflake. I just love things like that:)

Again a tough one. They all have special parts I love, (Christmas day seeing all the family/Stephens day dinner, yum!) but I have to say Christmas Eve. You just cant beat the feeling in the air on Christmas eve. Everyone is happy, excited and cheery! Its like the it says in the sleigh ride song 'Theres a happy feeling nothing in the world can buy'!! And corny as it is I do believe that. Theres just something magical about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

What would be your ideal Christmas Day?

• Advertisement

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Hi snowgal

When do you start your christmas shopping ?

Who normally cooks christmas dinner and what could you not live without for christmas dinner !

Do you colour Co ordinate your christmas decorations or just a festive free for all! :)

Christmas shopping starts about now. I do pick up decorations anytime of the year, esp if we're away somewhere as I try to get baubles from every place we visit :) I start thinking about OH's present during the summer. Hes hard to buy for and I like to get 'out there' kind of presents for him, no ideas yet this year :eek:

OH does all the cooking at ours, thankfully! I am NOT a good cook and certainly not with all that has to be done on Christmas day! Im the lady who lounges Im afraid! I always ask can I do anything but I think he knows better than to actually let me...Theres no pressure for us to eat at a certain time though so we just take it easy and dinner happens when it happens.... I could not go without turkey, gravy and roast potatoes, yum! oh and sausage stuffing! I could eat those for days on end to be honest..the other stuff is just decoration on the plate for me!

I absolutely colour co-ordinate! I cant do the free for all thing.. Each year is a theme...I have a 'Christmas room' which is just full of decorations :eek: We're already discussing this years (when I say we, it means I usually decide and say what do you think of gold and cream and he nods along!) Last years was vintage and I loved it. I might do that again as Ive lots of stuff to use....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

That sounds lovely snowgal ! Hope you get some ideas soon for your OH ! :)

kitten_k wrote: »
    What would be your ideal Christmas Day?

Hi Kitten_k

Ohhhh ideal christmas day........
    Wake up at a reasonable hour, look out the window and see the place covered in white powdery snow! Head downstairs and throw on the Christmas music, nice coffee and outside to test the snow! Then lovely walk up to my sisters house and meet the clan and head out with kiddies to build a snowman...Then back inside for some mulled wine and laughs! Then back home to open presents with OH. Obviously more champers and wine needed! Then up to my mams for a big family christmas dinner with the whole clan. Followed by the compulsory cracker hats to be worn,guessing the christmas cracker jokes, some quiz game that nearly turns into a family row, till mam steps in and diverts us all with her lit pudding!! more wine and then lots and lots of card playing and craic!! Followed by huge amounts of turkey/ham sambos and cheese toasties. Finished off with the best walk home as a blizzard starts and nearly sweeps us away with the amount of snow falling!!:D Getting home and taking off the snow clothes and into christmas jammies with a wee glass and christmas music to finish the night....Not that Ive thought about it much eh?!
    Still, Im pretty happy with the current set up too...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Have you ever had any Christmas disasters?

Have you ever had any Christmas disasters?

Ha ha, well, as I dont do any of the cooking etc I usually avoid that :P BUT my own christmas disaster involved drinking wayyy too much :o It was all to do with the lead up to Christmas, my sister got married, my brother came back from Australia, we were on the beer for nearly the whole month, really! but on Christmas day my whole body, mind and face decided enough was enough! I was so hungover/sick/dying/blotchy/thirsty/exhausted that the day wasnt the best:( My face and arms actually came out in mad rash once I took the first sip on the day. I couldnt enjoy the dinner as stomach was in knots, I went for a walk but halfway around the town had to call my brother to collect me as I couldnt mentally walk right. seriously how bad is that?? Anyway I was younger and able and it was still a great Christmas bar that actual day, oops :D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

What Christmas song always gets you singing?

Have you ever spent Christmas abroad? If not, would you consider it?

Does your boards username reflect your love of the Christmas season?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Scarinae wrote: »

What a great question! I didn't even put 2 & 2 together! Clearly not on the ball these days...

Scarinae wrote: »

Im a Christmas song nutjob, music is played throughout the year. Ive tried to curtail it this year so I get more excited when the time is nearer! So hard to pick just one, they really all do but I suppose sleigh ride and The Christmas Song have to be up there at the top. I spent an hour last year just going over and over sleigh ride until I could sing it word perfect, the middle part is tough, but I got it!!:o

No Ive never been away for Christmas itself. I think the whole feeling of Christmas for me has to involve family and friends so unless they all came it probably wont happen! Im all about tradition around Christmas so being away would just feel wrong I think...But you never know maybe one day. Ive been lucky enough to go to Lapland twice, both on the lead up to Christmas. so if I did go anywhere it would have to be there.....

Haha, yes the snowgal thing is exactly that! It probably would've been more christmassy name but I didnt know there were other christmas heads like me around when I joined!!:D For me Christmas and snow go hand in hand, I wish we could have snow every Christmas. I joined the year of the big snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emmagination

Hi Snowgal!

Do you have a favourite Christmad film?

Are there and rituals / traditions you have over the Christmas period?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

What was the best present you never got? Was there ever an item that you really wanted but never received?

Hi Snowgal!

Do you have a favourite Christmad film?

Are there and rituals / traditions you have over the Christmas period?

Hi emmagination
    Ive two films, ELF and Charlie and the Chocolate factory, charlie not actually a christmas one but it is MY christmas film! I watch it every Christmas whenever its on. Also a shout for Wizard of Oz cos again its a must see for me at Christmas. And ELF well whats to say, only epic!!

We have a few rituals/tradtions. First the tree! My OH usually goes on search for the elusive perfect, symetrical, perfect size, height, full branches tree! Then Ive to meet him and give approval. Then home get the wine out and christmas songs on and start! He does the lights while I bring down all the decos. Then he starts the kitchen while I dress the whole tree. Then alot of changing and fixing until we're both happy then a nice takeaway and more wine...Then he sits down for the night while I finish around the house and do the garland over the fireplace, more or less the same thing every year :D Tradition 2 On Christmas eve, the whole family head up to my mams and meet for present giving. We've done this since we were kids and now the new kiddies are involved too. Usually head up for about 5.30, someone is always reallly late and everyone is giving out! Then we all get drinks (yes yes more wine for me, a bit of a trend here!) and bring our sacks into the sitting room... Its pure mayhem, about 17 of us cram into my mams sitting room, the lucky few get the chairs, and everyone else on the floor, where ever you can find a space really! Then we all delve into our pressies, wrapping paper EVERYWHERE, the room is roasting and someone gives out to mam for having the heat on! we go around each person and see what they got and ooh and ahh, then theres a big clean up and we order a takeaway for everyone and eat drink and be merry, god I love that part of Christmas, it might actually be my favourite after all that!:p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

What a lovely answer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

snowgal wrote: »
    Hi emmagination
    Ive two films, ELF and Charlie and the Chocolate factory, charlie not actually a christmas one but it is MY christmas film! I watch it every Christmas whenever its on. Also a shout for Wizard of Oz cos again its a must see for me at Christmas. And ELF well whats to say, only epic!!

We have a few rituals/tradtions. First the tree! My OH usually goes on search for the elusive perfect, symetrical, perfect size, height, full branches tree! Then Ive to meet him and give approval. Then home get the wine out and christmas songs on and start! He does the lights while I bring down all the decos. Then he starts the kitchen while I dress the whole tree. Then alot of changing and fixing until we're both happy then a nice takeaway and more wine...Then he sits down for the night while I finish around the house and do the garland over the fireplace, more or less the same thing every year :D Tradition 2 On Christmas eve, the whole family head up to my mams and meet for present giving. We've done this since we were kids and now the new kiddies are involved too. Usually head up for about 5.30, someone is always reallly late and everyone is giving out! Then we all get drinks (yes yes more wine for me, a bit of a trend here!) and bring our sacks into the sitting room... Its pure mayhem, about 17 of us cram into my mams sitting room, the lucky few get the chairs, and everyone else on the floor, where ever you can find a space really! Then we all delve into our pressies, wrapping paper EVERYWHERE, the room is roasting and someone gives out to mam for having the heat on! we go around each person and see what they got and ooh and ahh, then theres a big clean up and we order a takeaway for everyone and eat drink and be merry, god I love that part of Christmas, it might actually be my favourite after all that!:p

Haha reading this im like mm are we in the same family.. We do exactly the same except the Christmas eves is my well new hubbie (yes hubbie no. 1) first married Christmas ecckk.. His family do this

mud wrote: »
    What was the best present you never got? Was there ever an item that you really wanted but never received?

I really cant think of anything, great question though! I dont really have huge expectations with presents then I cant be too disappointed :pThe closest was when OH (it might have been our first christmas together) got me a hair dryer, which was,,, grand I suppose, but I was abit disappointed. Still I said thanks a mill, kisses and hugs etc. Then an hour later he just start laughing and said 'I cant keep this up, I cant believe you appreciated a hair dryer! Look at the tree'....I went looking at the tree and there on one of the branches was a beautiful diamond ring,,, awhhhh, so cute!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Do you have one of those Christmas movies that always makes you cry!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement