Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Planning & Tall Buildings in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I mentioned over on SSC that this will just give ammo to the anti high-rise mob who will rightly call it hideously but incorrectly claim this is proof all high rise should be banned in Dublin. Seriously, what is wrong with these architects?
    its appalling, do these "architects" have any experience of building towers or is it the usual 5-6 storey cardboard box their area of expertise? it would explain a lot. It wont get cleared anyway. Bloody awful and even the revised tower across the liffey is far from great. I dont get why they couldnt go with 88m version of the U2 tower and watchtower respectively...
    I mentioned over on SSC that this will just give ammo to the anti high-rise mob
    what dublin is getting isnt even really high rise and the design are crap. I wonder what they would make of the shard, Gherkin etc, anyone who is simply anti high-rise, hasnt a clue to be honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭steve-o

The client brief: Make it uglier than Hawkins House.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

steve-o wrote: »

Let's not say things we can't take back :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

steve-o wrote: »

It is clearly nowhere near as ugly as Hawkin's House.

Equally, it is clearly a crap design without any visual merit.

"Squat" is the word that springs to mind....

If there is one thing that indicates that this proposed box is a pathetic blob, it is that the Irish Times isn't shrieking about how "inappropriate" it is.....:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭cgcsb

A friend who is a recent engineering graduate who was heavily involved in designing the super structure. I would expect that the architecht is also a recent grad. Grad labour is very cheap at the moment, experienced architects cost a fortune just to get them to come to the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

I've seen stuff built in Minecraft that look better than that, it looks terrible. What is more hilarious is that 73m is considered high rise.
    The Shard in London is 309m, The Gherkin is 180m, I don't see why we can't don't allow planning for such structures?

I've seen stuff built in Minecraft that look better than that, it looks terrible. What is more hilarious is that 73m is considered high rise.
    The Shard in London is 309m, The Gherkin is 180m, I don't see why we can't don't allow planning for such structures?
    10/10 on the minecraft reference! Look as much as I love it if we had London size structures, we dont and other comparable cities dont either. I think 120m i.e. the original height of the proposed U2 and watchtower were reasonable... I agree 73m is a joke, they should be built to the 88m limit...

Its actually an insult to dublin the proposals that have been come up with on both sides, they are meant to act as landmarks, landmarks in terms of s**t design alright and the height isnt exactly head spinning either, still at least the bull**** 60m limit has been broken. I think it looks silly all the "towers" in the area being pretty much the same height, if you look at Millenium tower, montevetro, altervetro, now the boland mill site, all pretty much the same height... Very dull and boring and unadventurous, sums up the docklands though, doesnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭crushproof

1003537_509199822494711_1183174749_n.jpg?oh=5c9ab2c59e6d6c060e4b70610d4974c5&oe=565FDD32
    Babillon-Tower-01.jpg?resize=423%2C317

Maybe not to everyones taste, but this is the type of skyscraper that should be at a location like this. Tall and sleek and Bright & colourful at night, making a brilliant statement on the skyline of Dublin. This is meant to be 171m, so maybe we'd have to accept a slightly scaled back version. .

But if a firm in Georgia (this is in the awesome city of Batumi) can come up with something like this, why the f*&k do we have settle for the mediocre crap we've seen presented to us in the past year?

I don't agree with the fact that a graduate architect may be the designer....surely a graduate would be more ambitious and daring, wanting to make an impact career wise?!

Garghhh, with this and the DU, it's been a frustrating week!!

the above is bang on, you have to ask in a rich country, in silicon docks, with outrageous land prices and commercial rents. How is it that this rubbish is accepted / tolerated?! when you look at other cities that arent thriving european capitals, that dont have silicon docks with the who's who of global technology companies and off the wall land price and rents etc. DCC are ultimately at fault for allowing this rubbish, the entire docklands is appalling IMO...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'd pay fairly big money to live in a nice high 3bed apartment in Dublin.

Dr_Bill wrote: »
    I've seen stuff built in Minecraft that look better than that

;) my "quote of the day" !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

We'll never get London sized skycrapers in Dublin so there's not much point in wishing for such tall structures. It's fantasy that will never happen here, especially when you consider our enlightened and noble leaders seize up with convulsions when anything approaching 100m is proposed to them. 100m isn't even tall by international standards though you'd swear it was the Burj from the reactions of some on DCC and the IT.

It's not like we're asking for much, is it? Just buildings that make as efficient use of such prime land in Dublin City Centre as possible. For me this is something every politician should be pushing given all this new environmental awareness. But it seems this talk is merely code for anti-development. True environmentalism rejects low-rise urban sprawl and seeks efficiency, so building UP is something the Green Party should be aggressively pushing.

Ren2k7 wrote: »
    True environmentalism rejects low-rise urban sprawl and seeks efficiency, so building UP is something the Green Party should be aggressively pushing.

The irony here is that those who most bemoan "one-off" houses in the countryside and semi-D suburban sprawl are also those most likely to protest against any realistic alternative proposals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Ren2k7

The irony here is that those who most bemoan "one-off" houses in the countryside and semi-D suburban sprawl are also those most likely to protest against any realistic alternative proposals.

I've never heard any Veggie politician or activist demanding, rightly, the end of large scale "one-offs". They probably see rural living as getting back to nature, rejecting modernity or some such rubbish. Ireland's Green Party are the furthest you could get from actual green politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

They're the same people that don't understand the phrase "urban regeneration" and think of North Dublin only as the place they go through on the Luas from the Red Cow to get to the match.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

We have got to the point where half of all new builds in the country are one-offs, mainly outside urban areas. I do not know of a country in the developed world where this would happen.

Yet DCC planners can relax because close to zero of them are built inside their boundaries.

Isn't it time to move away from 40-odd seperate planning authorities and have some kind of national set of principles?

The new 'relaxed' regulations on studio apartments in Dublin have an absurd list of conditions attached which make it likely in the short run that they won't get built:
    The studios would be 45sq m (484sq ft), as against the current minimum size of 55sq m (592sq ft), but could be built only in certain circumstances. They would be permitted only in schemes of more than 100 apartments that have communal facilities such as common rooms and gyms and could make up just 7.5 per cent of the overall complex.

The complexes, which can be in the inner city or docklands only, must be for renters, not owner occupiers, and must be in single ownership for at least 20 years, during which time they cannot be sold off piecemeal.

There is a huge, obvious need for one-bed apartments in Dublin to house a growing number of one- and two-person households. Single occupancy is something like 40% in Paris. A casual glance at the Census data will show thousands of semi-Ds in Dublin occupied by disparate 20- and 30-somethings. These people would not be house-sharing if living in smaller units was vaguely affordable.

It's depressing how the planning establishment and councillors have responded to this obvious need.

Bray Head wrote: »
    There is a huge, obvious need for one-bed apartments in Dublin to house a growing number of one- and two-person households. Single occupancy is something like 40% in Paris. A casual glance at the Census data will show thousands of semi-Ds in Dublin occupied by disparate 20- and 30-somethings. These people would not be house-sharing if living in smaller units was vaguely affordable.

It's depressing how the planning establishment and councillors have responded to this obvious need.

Indeed it is...but most councillors are by dint of age profile more likely to think in terms of what might be best suited to - or be the the preference of - young families - which could well be semi-Ds.

They also bring the semi-D "values" to the table...which still largely involves opposition to "apartment blocks" of any kind - and fails to distinguish between the urban centre and their suburban areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Article in todays Sunday Business Post

Giants on the horizon?

http://www.businesspost.ie/#!story/Property/Cover+Story/Giants+on+the+horizon%3F/id/2a82d7bb-8067-4c1a-8200-f49cbadf3105

I would publish the article but it is behind a pay-wall so I am unsure If I am allowed simply copy and paste it onto boards.

However I paid the €2.50 for the digital version, this article is well worth a read and speaks about NAMA forcing a change in ideology in Dublin towards more high rise developments, facilitated by a change in heart as of late from Dublin city council.

If I am allowed paste it in, let me know and I will do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

1huge1 wrote: »
    Article in todays Sunday Business Post

Giants on the horizon?

http://www.businesspost.ie/#!story/Property/Cover+Story/Giants+on+the+horizon%3F/id/2a82d7bb-8067-4c1a-8200-f49cbadf3105

I would publish the article but it is behind a pay-wall so I am unsure If I am allowed simply copy and paste it onto boards.

However I paid the €2.50 for the digital version, this article is well worth a read and speaks about NAMA forcing a change in ideology in Dublin towards more high rise developments, facilitated by a change in heart as of late from Dublin city council.

If I am allowed paste it in, let me know and I will do so.

I'd be very interested in reading this....you definitely can paste it. Just copy and paste.
    I wonder why the change of heart from DCC? surely they havn't replcaed many personnel recently?

• Advertisement

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    I'd be very interested in reading this....you definitely can paste it. Just copy and paste.
    I wonder why the change of heart from DCC? surely they havn't replcaed many personnel recently?

Here you go
    Giants on the horizon?
    03:55, 27 September 2015 by Barry J Whyte

Dublin City Council has asked the public if taller buildings should be added to the city skyline. Picture: Thinkstock
    A penny for Harry Crosbie’s thoughts right now.

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Folks, in future please don't post full articles from newspapers, there are issues with regards to copyright, plus also in this case because it's article that's behind a paywall.

My bad, sorry about that Dubhthach.

Worth a read anyway for anyone willing to pay the fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

From the independent today....more pressure coming on, but I fear the vested interests will strongly oppose increasing densities!

http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/council-plans-will-create-standards-for-years-ahead-34526203.html

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    From the independent today....more pressure coming on, but I fear the vested interests will strongly oppose increasing densities!

http://www.independent.ie/business/commercial-property/council-plans-will-create-standards-for-years-ahead-34526203.html

Interesting that the outgoing Regime have loudly proclaimed that the increased population, reduced unemployment, increased demand for homes in Dublin was all a direct and intended result of their policies.........and yet, they excuse their failure to get home building going again; abandon DU and generally cease investment - using the rationale that earlier projections these plans were based on were pre-crash.

Obviously they either idiots with no ability to do joined-up planning or they never actually expected any serious recovery - the one they are now claiming they cunningly engineered. :(

Well folks, that hideous yoke at the Point has received permission. Is this all we can aspire to our capital city? A 1960's style bulky block?
    Bewildering decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

crushproof wrote: »
    Well folks, that hideous yoke at the Point has received permission. Is this all we can aspire to our capital city? A 1960's style bulky block?
    Bewildering decision.

Expect it to be sold and then re designed. That application was purely to get permission for a particular size of building, therefore increasing the sale value, and nothing more, imo.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Expect it to be sold and then re designed. That application was purely to get permission for a particular size of building, therefore increasing the sale value, and nothing more, imo.

Hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

It would make sense considering they must have had a 5 year old draw it.

• Advertisement

irishmover wrote: »
    It would make sense considering they must have had a 5 year old draw it.

This is the thing. Fair enough if it was designed just to max out the floorplan etc. It's all about profit.

But to me that's not the point, sure they submitted the hideous design.... But it was the planning authorities that approved it. Absolutely no imagination, it baffles me who is on the planning committee, surely they spent years studying town planning / architecture and know what is good or bad for the city. Garrghhhh!!

Advertisement