Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Medicall EMT

• 19-09-2015 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I have a few questions that some of you may be able to answer!

Looking on Medicall's website, they have EMT courses available on a regular basis. If I was to do this course, would it act as a pre-paramedic course or would I have to go onto study in college?

My aim is the NSA but seen as they open up very rarely, would I be best to go for the EMT course in the mean time? I have been a member with the Red Cross for 2 years but unfortunately the branch is closing up due to lack of members.

Has anyone had any experience in working with Medicall? Do they take on regularly?

TIA!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Currently, the HSA are the only ones who can train up new paramedics. So, you have to wait until they advertise for the role, then go for it. But, as you say, this doesnt happen often. Being an EMT is not a pre-condition (currently), but it is looked-on favorably (as it shows you are interested, and have some skills to start with, so training you is a bit easier). Also, if 1000's apply of the job, and half are EMTs and half are not, why would the HSE pick a non-EMT ? So, being an EMT is an advantage when applying to become a paramedic, but its not mandatory.

Also, being an EMT will give you an insight into what a job in the ambulance might be like. Better to try it as a volunteer or part-time before you commit to a career and realise its not quite what you thought it would be.

Sorry, I dont have any info on Medicall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭megabantz

NSA??
    HSA ??

Im not sure what you guys are trying to say but the ONLY 2 Registered Training Colleges/Organizations that can teach students at Paramedic level under PHECC are Dublin Fire Brigade and the HSE. You need to apply to either of these to be able to become a Paramedic in Ireland (or go the international route and come back in a few years and apply for registration with PHECC (look up www.phecc.ie for all information around pre hospital emergency care, phecc are the governing body of pre hospital emergency care providers in Ireland).

Becoming an EMT as stated above is a bonus but not a requirement to gaining employment in either DFB or the HSE. You would be wasting the best part of 1800+ in doing an EMT and NOT being part of a volunteer organization as you are NOT permitted to practice as EMT on your own back it must be with a registered CPG provider, again check out www.phecc.ie for all information around this.

If you love it then go for it! I did and love it.

Medicall are a great training institute and have top of the range training/operational ambulances and equipment that you will use throughout the training to become EMT.

In regards to part-time or full-time EMT work well this is very difficult to get but from time to time MEdicall and Lifeline etc do look for EMT's and I believe currently this is the case with both.

Bear in mind if you go down the road of EMT part/full-time you need to consider other costs such as Hep B vaccine (3x80 quid a pop i think), non emergency driving certificate (for work with lifeline) and you need to complete Continuous professional development in the form of patient contact, courses etc to maintain on the register of emergency medical practicioners.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mightydrumming

Thanks so much for that RiderOnTheStorm + megabantz!

The local Red Cross branch has closed now due to lack of members but there is an Order of Malta branch not to far from where I am. Hopefully in the next few weeks I will get into them :)

As for Medicall, I'm going to go for the EMT course - could be next year but I have my mind set on it and the locations suit me.
    megabantz wrote: »
    NSA??

Sorry, NAS lol!

I was getting a bit confused about PHECC as Medicall says
    it also prepares students to undergo the Pre-Hospital Care Council (PHECC) examination.

This means I would still have to complete the ten month training with the HSE/NAS?

On the HSE website, it says that there are two training colleges - one in Ballinasloe and one in Dublin. Is this still the case and are they seperate or do they collaborate during the ten month period? Reason being - Ballinasloe would be closer to me and perfect for commuting.

One final thing (I will have your heads wrecked!) - According to the HSE, if you complete the training etc... and a vacancy comes up - you could be placed anywhere in the country. Is this still the case or do they try to accommodate within reason?

Thanks again folks, you have been most helpful :)

ok so firstly the EMT course is contained to 4 weeks I think and this all completed with Medicall and has nothing, nor will you do any training with the NAS.

When you complete the EMT course with Medicall the ball doesnt stop rolling there, you may have completed the EMT course but you must now (if you wish and it would be pointless if you didnt't) apply to PHECC to sit the National Qualification in Emergency Medical Technology (NQEMT) exam at EMT level.

What is involved in this I guess you will ask? Look up phecc.ie and exams and candidates section and you will see examination sheets for EMT for an exam called OSCII, this is the practical exam you will undertake but before completing this exam you first must apply through phecc to sit the 100 multiple choice questions (conducted at most NDLS test centres on a computer) in order to progress to the OSCII exams.

Once the OSCII and MCQ are completed and passed you are elligible to apply to be added to the Emergency medical Practicioners register for Ireland and you are issued a PIN number similar to that of Paramedic and Advanced Paramedic!

There is a lot to consider when going down the Emergency Medical Practicioner route but contact Medicall or Phecc and they will be happy to help you through it all, it is VERY doable so don't let this all put you off!

Regarding employment with the HSE it's not something that comes around often and I would imagine they can place you anywhere in the country but I would imagine this can be discussed when you have the job if you cannot up and move location

Best of Luck and any more questions let me know!

• Advertisement

ok so firstly the EMT course is contained to 4 weeks I think and this all completed with Medicall and has nothing, nor will you do any training with the NAS.

When you complete the EMT course with Medicall the ball doesnt stop rolling there, you may have completed the EMT course but you must now (if you wish and it would be pointless if you didnt't) apply to PHECC to sit the National Qualification in Emergency Medical Technology (NQEMT) exam at EMT level.

What is involved in this I guess you will ask? Look up phecc.ie and exams and candidates section and you will see examination sheets for EMT for an exam called OSCII, this is the practical exam you will undertake but before completing this exam you first must apply through phecc to sit the 100 multiple choice questions (conducted at most NDLS test centres on a computer) in order to progress to the OSCII exams.

Once the OSCII and MCQ are completed and passed you are elligible to apply to be added to the Emergency medical Practicioners register for Ireland and you are issued a PIN number similar to that of Paramedic and Advanced Paramedic!

There is a lot to consider when going down the Emergency Medical Practicioner route but contact Medicall or Phecc and they will be happy to help you through it all, it is VERY doable so don't let this all put you off!

Regarding employment with the HSE it's not something that comes around often and I would imagine they can place you anywhere in the country but I would imagine this can be discussed when you have the job if you cannot up and move location

Best of Luck and any more questions let me know!

That's absolutely brilliant mega, I can't thank you enough! I will check out PHECC and get in touch with Medicall.

I'll keep you updated, thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bilirubin

@Mightydrumming make sure you have your C1/C and D1/D licence sorted. So many EMTs out there who do the course and then when HSE or private ambulance jobs come up they can't apply because their driving licence doesn't meet the requirements. If you don't have them go about doing it now or during your EMT course because it takes time to get sorted.

bilirubin wrote: »
    @Mightydrumming make sure you have your C1/C and D1/D licence sorted. So many EMTs out there who do the course and then when HSE or private ambulance jobs come up they can't apply because their driving licence doesn't meet the requirements. If you don't have them go about doing it now or during your EMT course because it takes time to get sorted.

This is a good point, you need to factor in the cost of lessons, truck hire for the test, the test fee, theory test fee and then the same for D1

I would hazard a guess of EMT + C licence (HGV) + D1 (mini bus) would reach close to 4000/4500 roughly depending on how many lessons you require!

Take one step at a time tho and focus on getting the EMT out of the way, the rest will follow

I'll definitely look into getting that sorted soon, another thing to check off the list :)

This could be a pointless question lol - Do the HSE open up for EMT's at all?

Thanks again, the help has been fantastic throughout!

They do look for EMT's but not as fronline emergency ambulance staff but in a role suited to EMT called 'Intermediate Care Operative' - this involves transferring non-serious / non-life threatening PT's. ICO do from time to time respond to assist at cardiac arrests and other jobs but their main line of work in transfers of non emergency patients.

• Advertisement

They do look for EMT's but not as fronline emergency ambulance staff but in a role suited to EMT called 'Intermediate Care Operative' - this involves transferring non-serious / non-life threatening PT's. ICO do from time to time respond to assist at cardiac arrests and other jobs but their main line of work in transfers of non emergency patients.

Brilliant stuff :) I remember now reading about Patient Transport a while back all right, I'm sure it would be a great way to enter into the HSE?

Are you on the road yourself?

Thanks again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

I'll definitely look into getting that sorted soon, another thing to check off the list :)

This could be a pointless question lol - Do the HSE open up for EMT's at all?

Thanks again, the help has been fantastic throughout!

Only couple of months ago there was a recruitment for EMTs from NAS think interviews are shortly they come up every so often also the current student paramedic panel is moving along fast lately aswell so may be another recruitment for that coming up at some stage so go for the EMT if interested and also get working on the C1 and D1 as said really important you get at least C1 as soon you can as you won't even get in the door to do a aptitude test without it
    So many people say I want to work for the ambulance service but they don't get the licence then panic when post are advertised and normally you don't have time to get it done then and if you miss the boat it could be a long wait last student paramedic recruitment was 2013 for example

C1 and D1 cost me about €1500ish maybe bit more got 5 lessons for each and pretest (€100 each) then include medicals and test fees on aswell

sjb25 wrote: »
    Only couple of months ago there was a recruitment for EMTs from NAS think interviews are shortly they come up every so often also the current student paramedic panel is moving along fast lately aswell so may be another recruitment for that coming up at some stage so go for the EMT if interested and also get working on the C1 and D1 as said really important you get at least C1 as soon you can as you won't even get in the door to do a aptitude test without it
    So many people say I want to work for the ambulance service but they don't get the licence then panic when post are advertised and normally you don't have time to get it done then and if you miss the boat it could be a long wait last student paramedic recruitment was 2013 for example

C1 and D1 cost me about €1500ish maybe bit more got 5 lessons for each and pretest (€100 each) then include medicals and test fees on aswell

Thanks a mill sjb! I will definitely get that sorted as soon. Once I have them, I'll have them for life so I'll get them out of the way lol :)

In relation to the EMT's with the HSE and Patient transport, I'm guessing it's similar in which you could be placed anywhere or do they try to facilitate EMT's withing reason?

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

Thanks a mill sjb! I will definitely get that sorted as soon. Once I have them, I'll have them for life so I'll get them out of the way lol :)

In relation to the EMT's with the HSE and Patient transport, I'm guessing it's similar in which you could be placed anywhere or do they try to facilitate EMT's withing reason?

Thanks again!

As far as I no you do the interview etc if successfull you are placed on a panel when job offers come out the offer will state the NAS region they need staff so just for argument sake say the offer is NAS south then you could be placed in any base within the NAS south region

For student paramedic it's a bit different you could be sent anywhere

sjb25 wrote: »
    As far as I no you do the interview etc if successfull you are placed on a panel when job offers come out the offer will state the NAS region they need staff so just for argument sake say the offer is NAS south then you could be placed in any base within the NAS south region

For student paramedic it's a bit different you could be sent anywhere

I get ya! Sounds like a good entry into working with the HSE :) Are you out yourself?

Advertisement