Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Skamolex vermiculite panels

• 26-10-2011 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Still looking into installing a 5KW inset stove in chimney breast.
    Will not be refitting a fireplace, so will need to heat protect an area around the stove opening (which I will have to create as the raw opening is too big) on the chimney breast.
    So far 2 options
    a) use heat resistant screed/plaster on chimney breast
    or
    b) use normal screed/plaster and front with some heat resistant vermiculite panels.

Is option b) a runner?
    Has anyone used these panels in this way?
    I know they can be painted - is it successful?
    What did you use to stick them to the wall?

WW

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

No one using this stuff out there?
    Anyone put in an inset stove without a fireplace?

WW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Skamolex is great stuff to work with, expensive but gives a nice finnish.
    painted mine black, needs to be brushed on... not sprayed on.
    i will post a few pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

photo

will load more, service unavailable

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Arddon

white westie
    did you go with option a or option b?
    looking at doing similar myself.
    that board is expensive stuff though and i'd need about 6 sheets so looking at €400 approx.
    tempted to go with your option a

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭white_westie

Hi

Deceided to do neither in the end.
    We got to see panels and didn't think they would work out for us, and from talking to a number of people about plaster only chimney breast, all said it would crack eventually!
    We eventually dug deep into the finances and got the aarrow5kw fitted with a cast iron plate and a plain wooden surround.
    Fitted last week and just getting to grips with what fuel to use with stove and also the fact that the wind has been blowing something fierce over the last few days

WW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

What type of paint can be used on the scamol board
    Hi

Deceided to do neither in the end.
    We got to see panels and didn't think they would work out for us, and from talking to a number of people about plaster only chimney breast, all said it would crack eventually!
    We eventually dug deep into the finances and got the aarrow5kw fitted with a cast iron plate and a plain wooden surround.
    Fitted last week and just getting to grips with what fuel to use with stove and also the fact that the wind has been blowing something fierce over the last few days

WW

• Registered Users Posts: 9 wallace60

Hi, Im in the process of installing a multi fuel stove. I have bought two sheets of Skamolex boards. Unfortunately I have run short. I need another half board or so for patching up. There are brick effect boards. Would anyone body have any of this type of board over that they are not using. I am willing to pay at a realistic price. Thank you .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

wallace60 wrote: »
    Hi, Im in the process of installing a multi fuel stove. I have bought two sheets of Skamolex boards. Unfortunately I have run short. I need another half board or so for patching up. There are brick effect boards. Would anyone body have any of this type of board over that they are not using. I am willing to pay at a realistic price. Thank you .

Hey wallace60,

How did you get on with the Skamolax boards? Looking to get some myself. Did you paint yours or leave it as it came? I am considering getting the brick type also but I want to paint it if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 wallace60

Hi Birdie. After getting the run around from the very start of this project, I persisted and eventually got talking to a guy in the painting retail trade. I wont say where he's based, but the advise he gave me has been very helpful. He told me there's not really anyone selling a proper paint product for Skamolex boards. His advise to me was to use emulsion paint watered down to a 50x50 mix. I done this on brick effect Skamolex boards. I had to give it 4 or 5 coats, but I promise you, it worked a treat.
    I have been lighting the fire over the last few weeks since I installed it, (mostly out of curiosity) and there has been no problems thus far. Just make sure you use a water based paint Birdie and not an oil based.

I hope this was helpful to you. All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

wallace60 wrote: »
    Hi Birdie. After getting the run around from the very start of this project, I persisted and eventually got talking to a guy in the painting retail trade. I wont say where he's based, but the advise he gave me has been very helpful. He told me there's not really anyone selling a proper paint product for Skamolex boards. His advise to me was to use emulsion paint watered down to a 50x50 mix. I done this on brick effect Skamolex boards. I had to give it 4 or 5 coats, but I promise you, it worked a treat.
    I have been lighting the fire over the last few weeks since I installed it, (mostly out of curiosity) and there has been no problems thus far. Just make sure you use a water based paint Birdie and not an oil based.

I hope this was helpful to you. All the best

Excellent, thanks. I am moving towards not even bothering with the Skamolex now but not 100% decided on that. I'll take on board your advice even if just painting the sand/cement plastered back. I've been told I don't necessarily need the Skamolex but I know the benefits. Being able to paint it will make the difference and might bring me back to the Skamolex brick finish. I had found heat resistant spray paint for metal alright but only in black. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

Just pulled out my existing tiled fireplace my dad had installed 25yrs ago, 1930's single story terraced house, I discovered the company (still trading) who fitted it left half of the original cast iron range in place (the narrow right side) the fire & oven side was removed thank god, anyway I'm left with a nice opening to take a free standing stove, I'm going to use Vermiculite Board with brick effect at sides & back, I seen it in other installations & it looks a neat job & easy to fix to the wall with screws or heat resistant adhesive, €40 800mm x 600mm & €60 1020mm x 600mm.

Advertisement