Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Chat Thread - For Those That Love Craic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Wannabegarda

So they're very small intakes so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭HighburyLad

Last campaign varied from 20 to 40, this year seems first intake was around 36 and the plan seems to be around 51 a squad as stated around the forum, if you were to compare it to say Templemore, not particularly big were an intake there is 100? I think? You'll be able to keep me right, but garnerville would be I would say a quarter of the size of templemore structurally, if even.

Jays so there is a better chance of getting the Gards than the psni so....anyone on this going for it??

We're all on a merit list of about 800 odd people, there could be anything from 230 to 500 places up for grabs, due to the financial uncertainty here who knows, a new recruitment campaign is opening up in a few weeks. What about you lot what's the craic there? I think you have all done your stage 2 am I right? Seen the justice minister announced a minimum of 500 gardai to be recruited in 2016 I take it that's from the folks who have just done stage 2?

As far as I know ya. Done stage 2 and waiting for te results for that. I might throw the hat into the ring for the psni aswell as a back up but I felt I did well in the ist so hopefully I'll get to stage 3 sooner rather than later. There's another group of people doing it next week so that's more competition as far as i know. Just tipping around in the station as a reserve doing what the SIC wants me to....btw if anyone lives near the border areas put in an application for the reserves cause there's talk that reserves will have their own recruitment campaign in 2016for full time cause I know there's no specials on NI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭fish2690

Campaign 3 is opening on 30th September.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Catdog33

Good news! Though hopefully I get a call sooner rather than later and won't need it! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Psni26

Wondering if it will be the same assessments as the last campaign!

Its open up until the 23rd of October is that quite long? To me that seems to be pretty long? What do I know mind you but it just seems longer than previously

Edit: By the way not complaining haha, the psni application is like 1 A4 sheet of basic details and that's it compared to most that have a paper sift could be open for a week to get the ball rolling quick lol ;)

Its open up until the 23rd of October is that quite long? To me that seems to be pretty long? What do I know mind you but it just seems longer than previously

Edit: By the way not complaining haha, the psni application is like 1 A4 sheet of basic details and that's it compared to most that have a paper sift could be open for a week to get the ball rolling quick lol ;)

I think It was open about 3 weeks last time too?? But yeah it's not much of an application..

• Advertisement

any word on information evenings i want to travel up but i need to organise it...

Catdog33 wrote: »
    I think It was open about 3 weeks last time too?? But yeah it's not much of an application..

Yeah thats true, just seemed longer, I wonder how many theyre thinking off taking on for campaign 3? The more the better obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

fish2690 wrote: »
    Campaign 3 is opening on 30th September.

Any one else do the woohoo and "yeah baby yeah" in an Austin Powers style?!?! Nope? Just me? Ah well. Must be my age lmao!!!!!!

I was open the first 2 campaigns for about 3 weeks. Guess what I'm doing on my birthday week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭The keyboard warrior

Third time lucky mop?! ;)

Third time lucky mop?! ;)

HELL YEAH!!!!!:D and if they don't let me in this time I'm heading to the hill!!!! Or I'll just go along and see if they kick me out :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

I never thought I'd be back posting again but glad to be back.

The last two campaigns got me to AC but that's where I lost it.

Roll on the next couple of years of tests, ups and downs. Maybe this time I'll make it to Hotel G :)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

Homer01 wrote: »

The last two campaigns got me to AC but that's where I lost it.

Roll on the next couple of years of tests, ups and downs. Maybe this time I'll make it to Hotel G :)

Welcome back! Good luck with the new campaign opening and if you struggle with the AC perhaps look into training sessions? No shame, I went to one and found it very helpful, even if it added 2% to my score well worth it.

KevBo2015 wrote: »
    Welcome back! Good luck with the new campaign opening and if you struggle with the AC perhaps look into training sessions? No shame, I went to one and found it very helpful, even if it added 2% to my score well worth it.

Thanks Kev, my second AC did improve a fair bit over the first one. With a lot of practice, experience and bucketload of luck I might even pass this time.

Of course we need to pass the dreaded candidate slayer, the IST!!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Glad to hear you're reapplying homer, 3rd time lucky!

Lads is anyone waiting for stage 2 results for the iridh Garda? I'm due to get mine in a week or two and that will affects decision on whether to apply for the psni or not.

Anyone else in the same boat?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,643 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Homer01 wrote: »
    You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave!

Oh brill.....

PSNI survey: 'Action needed' over low police morale, says federation
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-34327858

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭QueenP

Oh brill.....

Heard that on the radio. Maybe that's positive for us still in the waiting list from c2....;)

Oh brill.....

Does this concern anyone? i.e. Potentially joining an organisation with such low morale.

Personally I think any organisation will have reported low morale in some way especially public bodies. While I recognise the many challenges within the role I personally foresee more ups than downs.

Oh brill.....

You want to swap places with me?!? :P

I'm still going for it. It was only completed by 40% of the force, I'm not being naive cos I know there will be the crappiest of days but it's like everything else in this world, it will be what you make of it :)

It's these massive budget cuts that's going on and the PSNI is constantly having to change their budgets throughout their financial year which is just madness.

How is any business supposed to plan ahead when their budget is constantly up and down, this country and politicians that run it couldnt organise a p1$$ up in a brewery, and they feel they can dictate terms with social welfare etc, the rest of the United Kingdom must be exasperated with our bull.

Therefore our public services are gonna suffer for others incompetence. I'm not surprised with the morale, I kinda feel sorry for them as they're doing a thankless job under extreme circumstances and don't get the necessary support they really should from politicians and the public. This sorta stuff never deters me, once I'm in I'll do all I can to chip in. Us young bloods will hopefully make the burden that bit easier, or maybe drive the senior ones up the wall lol.

It just makes you think we are all busting a nut to get in and I'm super excited and enthusiastic about it, to read then that everyone's hating it- makes you wonder lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭panini

I heard about the report this morning, it doesn't really put me off because compared to my current job it's still a massive step up.

Fingers crossed that recruitment over the next couple of years lifts the burden at least a little across the force.

It doesn't help that our politicians are the most pathetic in the western world and I think the PSNI suffers because of this.

How many officers are they taking on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Anyone who has applied, have you got an email confirming application yet?

Advertisement