Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gran Hermano RIP

• 17-09-2015 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hello

My name is Gavin and I am the brother of Gran Hermano, as many of you know he was one of the moderators on this forum. Some of you may been aware that Gran Hermano was bravely battling cancer for almots two years, but it brings me great sadness to inform you that he sadly passed away last night

So guys could I please ask that when you next have a cup of coffee or tea that you raise that cup or mug in his memory and as a final thanks to all of his contributions to this forum over the last number of years

Mods could I please ask that you share this information with the other forums that he was actively involved in and moderated as well

Thank you

Gavin

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Gavin, as I said in my message I'm truly gutted at this news. I've modded coffee & tea with Alan since day dot and I can't take it in at all.

A very sharp and helpful guy and a real core boards member as far as I'm concerned.

RIP Alan, you'll be greatly missed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Extremely sorry to hear that Gavin. Best wishes to you and your family at this awful time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Very sorry to hear that Gavin. Always found Gran Hermano's posts so helpful and generous. A legend of the coffee & tea forum. RIP.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Really sorry to hear this. Gran Hermano was a great contributor and very helpful with people on the forum. Obviously very passionate about his coffee, really bad news.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Gavin I'm very sorry for your loss, such a sad time for your family.
    RIP Gran Hermano.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Thinking of you, and yours, round ours tonight Gran Hermano. So sorry for your loss Gavin, your brother was wonderful.

Cheers, GH.

pdZoAYm.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

My deepest sympathies to you and your family. Alan was a gent, always helpful and passionate. He will be missed.

RIP Gran Hermano

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭donnacha

So sorry to hear this news. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,734 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi Gavin,

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. While I didn't know him particularly well, Alan was a sound guy & a solid mod - dedicating over 3 years to looking after the Coffee & Tea forum. He will be sadly missed by the F&D mod team & the Rec CMods.

Take care,

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Thats is sad news and my best wishes to you and the rest of his family, I am drinking a flat white in his memory and will no doubt be reminded of him in future when drinking a good coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

My sincere sympathy to you, and all of your family, at this sad time.
    R.I.P. Gran Hermano.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dero

Sincere condolences to you and your family Gavin. I only knew Gran Hermano from this forum, but I'm always acutely aware that every poster is a person above all, and things like this really bring that home.

I will certainly be dedicating my next espresso to Alan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Sad news indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Extremely sorry to hear that Gavin. Best wishes to you and your family at this awful time.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭arabica69

Sincerest condolences to you and your family.

Karl Purdy
    Coffeeangel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

My condolences to you and you family. I never had a chat with him regarding tea and coffee but I did about wetshaving. He was very knowledgeable on the subject and always had good advice for people struggling with it.

He will be missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Hi there Gavin,

I'm so very sorry to have heard this news just now. Alan was, as you can see here and on the thread in After Hours (and there's a similar one in the Mods forum) very much loved by the members of this site and his passing has saddened us all. He won't be forgotten.

For whatever it's worth, on behalf of myself and everyone in the company, please accept our deepest condolences on your family's loss.

RIP Alan.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Whenever you saw the Gran Hermano username in the sidebar of a post, you always knew there was either a shot of wisdom or a shot of humour 'a comin. He will be missed greatly. Deepest condolences.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Gotham Knight

Very sad news. I always enjoyed Gran Hermano's posts as they were sensible, helpful and good humoured. From what I have read it sounds as though he was a similar man. A sad loss to his family and friends and to the forums.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭LJ3103

Hello

I would like to thank everyone for their kind words and messages of condolences. The last few days have been very difficult for the family, but its the kind and thoughtful messages such as the ones on this forum that have helped the family to get through.

Yesterday morning as I drank a cup of coffee before Alan's funeral the idea of a Gran Hermano Roast for charity came to me, I was wondering if it would be possible to arrange with one of the roasters that Alan had recommended to so many others , a once off boards.ie batch roast, with all of the profits going to the cancer unit in St Vincent's hospital

I was wondering if anyone would have any thoughts on where I could even start to get this off the ground and if you think there would be sufficient interest in getting this batch made up

Thanks

Gavin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Hi Gavin,

I was thinking of a coffee morning in one of the Dublin coffee houses (if they'd host it) with an extra euro or 2 added to the price of a cup, profits going to St. Vincents. Whatever you think, take some time to ponder the options. I'm sure we could organize the roast either.

Also, take a read of this when you're up to it. I've been thinking about you all constantly over the last few days, hope you're doing ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Sorry for your loss. He was always helpful and his absence will be sorely felt in the shaving forum.

Time for a coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭slowcyclist

RIP Gran Hermano

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Alan, I'm late to this thread, but want to add my commiserations.

Our lives are enriched by the kindness of strangers. Alan was one of those whose participation in Boards was characterised by a wish to help. Farewell to a good guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Late to this too but sorry for your loss Gavin. Condolences to your family. RIP Gran Hermano

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

So sorry to hear this sad news. RIP.

Advertisement