Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October 2015 Intake

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Any idea what fitness stuff they will put us through in there? My cardio is good at the moment. I'm more worried about strength and short high intensity stuff.

Apparently they make you re-do the PCA the first week in, not sure how true that is though. I know they definitely used to and you had to better your time on the 5k run and PCA by a certain %. Wouldn't worry too much, just try and keep a decent level of fitness before you hit GV. I have heard their fond of a burpee or two ;)

Guys and girls I honestly wouldn't worry too much though. You're all in the same boat so don't be worrying about looking like a fool.
    If you are wanting to up the training before walking through those doors just be careful you don't injure yourself. I think that would be a bloody nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Catdog33

Mop a top wrote: »
    Apparently they make you re-do the PCA the first week in, not sure how true that is though. I know they definitely used to and you had to better your time on the 5k run and PCA by a certain %. Wouldn't worry too much, just try and keep a decent level of fitness before you hit GV. I have heard their fond of a burpee or two ;)

Guys and girls I honestly wouldn't worry too much though. You're all in the same boat so don't be worrying about looking like a fool.
    If you are wanting to up the training before walking through those doors just be careful you don't injure yourself. I think that would be a bloody nightmare.

If you just have to improve your own score by a certain % then it's not so bad, I didn't exactly pass the PCA by miles like... More like a small margin lol! So if they said you had to do it sub 3 mins or something I'd be concerned!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭The keyboard warrior

Found this in the all female thread from circa 2008 and thought it was decent enough advice for the ladies. (Be warned, that thread contains pages and pages of goat related antics, I kid you not - *kid, get it?? :D )

. Have a wee word with your heels and make up bag. Explain clearly that its not them. Its you. You have to go away for a while but you'll be back.
    . Bring "comfy" clothes. You want to chillax. And lets face it. All the guys have seen you sans make up so you're impressing nobody.
    . Hairspray. Buy it by the case. If your hair is "flyaway"...no amount of hairspray will do. May i suggest superglue though its a bit hard to wash out.
    . Illusions....Dont pack them.
    . Good pants. Because the very attractive trousers just give you a constant bum wedgie.
    . Patience. Pack as much as you can.
    . Thick skin. Helps heaps.
    . Get your "beauty regime" down to 30 seconds.
    . Party feet. Plasters. Our feet were just not made for boots.
    . Visit beauticians before intake. Wax and tint everything....
    . Get a BIG voice. Rent one if you must.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭.S.

Love it, thanks!

That's hilarious but I guess very true. Can I offer some advice, forget the hair spray!!!! My daughter has the fuzziest hair you've ever seen however for her gymnastics competition it needs to be smoothed back in a bun donut. Used to do my donut in lol but I've found that gel spray is so much better. After a day of flips and tumbles it's still neatly glued to her head for podium photos. Good luck girlies xx

• Advertisement

Are you not allowed ANY make up? I don't wear a lot but my skin really wouldn't be up for being exposed completely!!!
    (If I get the call of course lol!)

I think they have changed the rules since 08, and you are allowed makeup -providing it looks natural.

PSNI Uniform Guide: Cosmetics

"Make-up may be worn in moderation and should be of a colour and type that is appropriate to the work environment. ie.) not obtrusive or excessive
    Make-up worn in moderation should not detract from a professional image."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭pastiesupper

The Uniform Style Guide is attached to this FoI request. Might be good to get a head start :)

http://www.psni.police.uk/intial_police_training.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dementedfairy8

I was really hoping I'd never have to run that course again!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

As far as I am aware the ladies are allowed makeup bit it's minimal, a few had to be talked to during the first week. Don't arrive on the intake Sunday with loads of it on, you will be pulled on this.

I wish the first PT session was the PCA haha... It is much much worse. If anyone struggled with the PCA, train hard. It is very BASIC level and in reality you need to be a LOT fitter. Trust me.

Enjoy your weekend folks and celebrate and be happy, you've been given the chance to serve the public and only rhe highest standards will be accepted. Thousands want this job, one of the finest police forces in the WORLD and that's a fact. Come Monday start gathering bits ad pieces and sorting your affairs for induction.

Well done again.

• Advertisement

I'm worried now that I'm going to incur all the expense and hard work that will go into training to ultimately fail it on fitness.

I'm worried now that I'm going to incur all the expense and hard work that will go into training to ultimately fail it on fitness.

Don't be daft!!!! You can do it, you bloody better :P I read something today in one of those crappy Facebook fortune cookies today and it was actually pretty good, it said "Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment" I think I'm going to use that from now on :)

Lol good approach mop.

I'll just blame kevbo for scare mongering. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Ruffle

Got my pack this morning - all very official now!! I am nervous about the fitness element of it all now, since my PCA I hvent really had much time to spend at the gym due to work commitments and a bit of travelling back and forth to England. anyone bringing a family member to the induction?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭KevBo2015

Don't worry about the fitness, they are not looking for professional athletes. Your fitness will be measured and you will be expected to improve on a weekly basis. Leaving the college fitter than you entered is the main aim. There are fitness exams throughout the course but you have the support of the trainers. If it has you all worried... get into the gym and improve your fitness.

Lots of people bring family members to induction. Including myself.

Bring me to your induction!!!! And then I can just stay with you all! :-D

Catdog33 wrote: »
    Bring me to your induction!!!! And then I can just stay with you all! :-D

Awh I wish I could catdog33, soon enough you will be in. There too. I'd hoped you'd hve made this squad and keeping my fingers crossed you get a call in 5 weeks time

Don't be daft!!!! You can do it, you bloody better :P I read something today in one of those crappy Facebook fortune cookies today and it was actually pretty good, it said "Fear is just excitement in need of an attitude adjustment" I think I'm going to use that from now on :)

That quote has literally made my day. I have been stressed out with nerves since getting the call. Now it's time to turn it into something positive. I am determined to kick ass!

That quote has literally made my day. I have been stressed out with nerves since getting the call. Now it's time to turn it into something positive. I am determined to kick ass!

So glad it helped, like I said I'll be using that one a lot from now on. You'll do well just have a little faith

Right, has anybody any thoughts:

-What type of hangers do we need for trousers? Is it the wooden & metal clip ones. I'm having trouble sourcing them.

-How sturdy does the ironing board need to be? I see ones for £30 which are just okay, or should I splash out around £70 for a decent one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Get hangers with the clips because you can keep of pair of number 1s hanging on them and not have to iron them for a few weeks if you hang them right.

Also cheap ironing board will do rightly!

Thanks DC :) You're a star

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

Feel sorry for yousuunnnnsss knowing whats ahead for you! lol

Just play the game when you get in there! Chin up and battle through it.

Also got my pack, it's all official now! I'm bringing a family member yes! Taking a weekend to chill out/celebrate then getting studying / shaking up the gym schedule =) I'm still altering between massively excited or else nervous as lol but definitely looking forward to the challenge! It'll be hard work but we'll step up!

.S. wrote: »
    Also got my pack, it's all official now! I'm bringing a family member yes! Taking a weekend to chill out/celebrate then getting studying / shaking up the gym schedule =) I'm still altering between massively excited or else nervous as lol but definitely looking forward to the challenge! It'll be hard work but we'll step up!

When do we get the online learning info? The more I think about it the more petrified I am of the fitness elements. I am pretty sure a lot of the p.e sessions are outdoors and we are going into this in the winter! I'm happy enough in the gym but outside running in the freezing cold always has me so wheezy

.S. wrote: »

When do we get the online learning info? The more I think about it the more petrified I am of the fitness elements. I am pretty sure a lot of the p.e sessions are outdoors and we are going into this in the winter! I'm happy enough in the gym but outside running in the freezing cold always has me so wheezy

I think on-line learning reopens around the time of induction for the additional module/s.

I wouldn't worry about the cold, we'll probably be sweatin' buckets from the exertion.

Yep think it opens after induction, I have some notes from last time jotted down so I'm gunna look over them when I can.
    Agreed, might be cold but I've no doubt the pti's will have us warmed up rightly!

Q for yas.. Should we be returning the acceptance form special delivery? I don't want mine going astray..

• Advertisement

We need car insurance with business cover?! Guess I'll have to get that added on. Will it set me back much? Also does all our stationary have to be plain? Must say I made my online learning notes in a very girlie notebook.

Advertisement