Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Americans - RTE pace

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 echo321

fryup wrote: »
    never knew Yazoo were known as Yaz in the States
    Seems they were known as Yazz in the States for legal reasons. This confused me as there was a British singer called Yazz who had a big hit with 'The Only Way Is Up' in 1988. Thought at first they might have been making a historical error in the programme, but not so in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 echo321

never knew Yazoo were known as Yaz in the States
    Seems they were known as Yaz in the States for legal reasons. This confused me as there was a British singer called Yazz who had a big hit with 'The Only Way Is Up' in 1988. Thought at first they might have been making a historical error in the programme, but not so in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Alison Moyet on vocals & Vince Clarke (also of Depeche Mode, Erasure) supplying the earworm riff. Nobody ever admitted to buying a Yazoo or Erasure record leading VC to speculate where the large houses and fleet of cars came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 North by Northwest

anyone watching it monday nights or am i the only one??

good isn't it,

Not the only one, really excellent last Monday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭whatever76

Oh I am glued to it Monday nights and purposely staying away from Spoilers and downloading rest of episodes.

Great series - seriously underrated I think. Acting is excellent.

I'm worried for Poor Martha !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭KlausFlouride

It's a huge critical hit, but doesn't get the audiences. In fairness, can understand why, there aren't many sympathetic characters, it's unspectacular and it's a slow burner. But it's absolutely brilliant, one of the best shows of it's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Elizabeth Jennings is the best looking bad ass in the history of tv :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

It's a huge critical hit, but doesn't get the audiences. In fairness, can understand why, there aren't many sympathetic characters, it's unspectacular and it's a slow burner. But it's absolutely brilliant, one of the best shows of it's time.

It has burned out for me, going nowhere and predictable.Loved the first 2 seasons but can't stand the same repeatable plot every season. Focusing on the children reminds me of Homelands mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

can anyone tell me how Philip persuaded Martha to put the pen in yer man's office??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭brian_t

The Americans is moving to after midnight from Monday.

Next Monday it's on at the slightly later time of 1.05am due to the football.

The following weeks it's on just after midnight because Vikings will be taking the 9.00pm slot.

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^

what a bummer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭jmcc

Think that there's only a few episodes left though.

Regards...jmcc

• The ratings must be low if they are moving it. Oh well thank goodness for sky plus!

and RTE player ; >!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭jmcc

The ratings must be low if they are moving it. Oh well thank goodness for sky plus!
    It is RTE. Ratings have absolutely nothing to do with it. If ratings were important, Ryan Tubridy would be gone and Brendan O'Connor would be presenting the Late Late Show. RTE is extremely weird when it comes to programme scheduling.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 11 alpha_a

anyone watching it monday nights or am i the only one??

good isn't it,

It's the most underrated show on TV. How it hasn't won any awards is beyond me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

RTE is doing with it normally does - bouncing things around the schedule. It has always done this with certain dramas, except for say, Lost and The Sopranos, which it wouldn't budge from a 9 or 10pm slot. It did have Mad Men on at 11pm, which is probably considered a more prestige show than The Americans, so go figure.

FX's shows have always had critical praise, but they struggle with awards and mainstream appeal. This show won't be discovered by most a la what happened with the tail end of Breaking Bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

one of the best shows on tele, excellent. Never a bad episode.

This season is unbelievably good, Elizabeth vs. the little old dear bookkeeper was almost unbearably tense and sad which is an unusual combo. Phillip getting increasingly pissed off with Gabriel is going to end badly also.

wonder will they succeed in brainwashing their daughter?? they'd hardly kill her will they?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

RTE is doing with it normally does - bouncing things around the schedule.

:rolleyes:

ridiculous esp seeing its coming to the end of the season could they not stick to the 9pm slot until then

Season Finale tonight @ 00.10pm .... Can't wait !!! Hope Martha survives !!

she's a bit ditzy

Can't wait to see where it goes from here. Pastor Tim should take out life insurance pdq. Phillip looks to be falling apart (PTSD?), while Elizabeth is becoming more of a true believer. Best show on TV by a mile at the moment, think it's got Season 4, US ratings are terrible tho.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yes, it's been renewed. They're preparing season 4 now, due to start shooting next month, I believe. It'll be on FX (US) in Jan/Feb, presume RTE will have it next summer. Despite the schedule shenanigans, I've to give them some credit for showing it.

https://twitter.com/joel_fields/status/644994183338455040

https://twitter.com/joel_fields/status/642095987956125698

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Yes, it's been renewed. They're preparing season 4 now, due to start shooting next month, I believe. It'll be on FX (US) in Jan/Feb, presume RTE will have it next summer. Despite the schedule shenanigans, I've to give them some credit for showing it.

https://twitter.com/joel_fields/status/644994183338455040

https://twitter.com/joel_fields/status/642095987956125698

So its an episode a week (fag break per episode) and after five weeks the writers go on a monumental bender.....good self discipline there.

The creators don't take much of a break. They started the outline for 4 in late April, brought it to the suits in May.

https://twitter.com/joel_fields/status/596437308443856896

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Haven't seen last night's episode yet but this season has been riveting throughout.

who was the guy Philip killed in the apartment??

• Advertisement

who was the guy Philip killed in the apartment??

Spoiler :
    Innocent FBI IT guy - set up in a way that it was he who planted the pen bug
    and the pressure made him commit suicide - basically a tactic to get Martha in
    the clear !! Its also the act I think is putting Philip over the edge !!

Advertisement