Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New post codes not accepted on Ebay

• 28-07-2015 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

So I have tried to add my new post code to my ebay account. I am told that it is invalid?

So have we now set up nothing that the rest of the world cant understand?

Typical Irish or an Ebay problem

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

EBay problem, probably haven't updated the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,405 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's odd, I've added it to Paypal, Amazon and a few others and it's accepted them OK, but ebay seems to not like them somehow, even though my previous default of 0000 seems perfectly OK!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Alun wrote: »
    It's odd, I've added it to Paypal, Amazon and a few others and it's accepted them OK, but ebay seems to not like them somehow, even though my previous default of 0000 seems perfectly OK!

If it's other than IE or 0000 etc (like 7 chars) then it attempts to match it to a UK postcode and finds it invalid. AFAIK ebay.ie is basically just the UK site with Euro conversion. Guess they'll change the postcode validation at some point.

Looks like Paypal, Amazon etc don't validate the postcode field.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

MBSnr wrote: »
    If it's other than IE or 0000 etc (like 7 chars) then it attempts to match it to a UK postcode and finds it invalid. AFAIK ebay.ie is basically just the UK site with Euro conversion. Guess they'll change the postcode validation at some point.

Looks like Paypal, Amazon etc don't validate the postcode field.

Someone mentioned on the "National Postcodes to be introduced" thread a few weeks before Eircode was officially launched that Paypal was asking for a routing key and four digits when he tried to change his address. It went back to normal a few hours later. So it looks like Paypal at least has plans to validate it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95975998&postcount=6126

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

OK perfect, so looks like I will just need to wait.

I hope this isn't another complete waste of money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Ebay issue. Why automatically blame the system?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

namloc1980 wrote: »

It's more fun, and fashionable to blame EirCode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭threeiron

I hope this isn't another complete waste of money
    What are you going to buy?

namloc1980 wrote: »

Because it's Irish!!!

Voting, banking now post codes!

I'm not holding up much faith!

threeiron wrote: »
    What are you going to buy?

Well, we will be paying for this system whether it works or not!

But on eBay I'm buying a 90 degree air valve for my motorbike :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

I haven't bothered updating any of my online shopping accounts with eircode- I live in Dublin, my addresses are all fully unique and easy to find, never had any issues with them. It feels like the system is much more useful in rural areas, but most addresses in Dublin don't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭brandodub

MrMorooka wrote: »
    I haven't bothered updating any of my online shopping accounts with eircode- I live in Dublin, my addresses are all fully unique and easy to find, never had any issues with them. It feels like the system is much more useful in rural areas, but most addresses in Dublin don't need it.

So do I and am still waiting on my first letter arrival with my full eircode !

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

What a catastrophe. Eircode should be ashamed.

(Sarcasm)

Some posters on another thread who've been in contact with eBay customer care have been told that eBay is aware of the problem and working on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

That's because it's not a POST code. It does NOT aid delivery of mail.

It's solely a bureaucratic identifier for your dwelling. Nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭clewbays

That's because it's not a POST code. It does NOT aid delivery of mail.

It's solely a bureaucratic identifier for your dwelling. Nothing more.

... Apart from a means of distinguishing houses with non-unique addresses from each other to facilitate service delivery, ambulances, online ordering etc. Wake up pal, we have a new genesis!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

Eircode data was issued to accredited Value Added Resellers late last week. It will take time for third parties, like eBay, to integrate eircode into their systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

How does it facilitate delivery? Without buying the database you can't translate to lat/long, so you can't find your way to an address with it.

The map tool on eircodes website is so badly designed that it's nearly useless. (If you move or scale the map you lose the original point, as it doesn't drop a fixed pin).

The only way it would help differentiate dwellings for delivery purposes would be if everyone displayed their eircodes on their gatepost.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

[QUOTE=Trick of the Tail;96569366
    The only way it would help differentiate dwellings for delivery purposes would be if everyone displayed their eircodes on their gatepost.[/QUOTE]

People will not even display their house number (where they have one) on their gatepost. However, the few who do allow one to find the house one is looking for, so thanks to the few who do display it.

Given that rural house addresses are related to townlands, most counties do not display these, so there is a start for finding rural addresses. When do you think that will be universal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Not just ebay. I don't see the code appearing anywhere; not on business cards, addresses on the web, people's email - nowhere.

Not even on Government addresses.

So if I phone the police and tell them there is a break-in four doors down from K3K2K1 will they not ask me "where the f*** is that"?

• Advertisement

Not just ebay. I don't see the code appearing anywhere; not on business cards, addresses on the web, people's email - nowhere.

Google (for example) "Wicklow A98" or "Dublin D01", loads of companies there with their Eircode displayed.

Alun wrote: »
    Google (for example) "Wicklow A98" or "Dublin D01", loads of companies there with their Eircode displayed.

Just googled "Wicklow A94" and came up with - "A 94-year-old Bray man won worldwide recognition this week - as the globe's longest serving altar boy" !

Just googled "Wicklow A94" and came up with - "A 94-year-old Bray man won worldwide recognition this week - as the globe's longest serving altar boy" !
    Perhaps if you'd tried the correct "Dublin A94" instead you'd have got more hits.

Actually A98 produces much more sensible results. :)

Yep - it does seem to be coming into use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    I've been looking for a few things online and have found that a number of companies have started to add an Eircode in their location details. It's mostly places like this and not the average single towns main hardware store. Not bad considering it's only been out a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

MBSnr wrote: »
    ^^^
    I've been looking for a few things online and have found that a number of companies have started to add an Eircode in their location details. It's mostly places like this and not the average single towns main hardware store. Not bad considering it's only been out a month.

It's a big improvement for businesses in out-of-town office and retail parks with addresses like this:
    Unit 28 Laois Shopping Centre, Portlaoise, Co Laois

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

I hardly expected everyone to be using it straight away, granted government departments and the public sector should be forced to implement them, but I believe we won't see any real implementation until 12 months in.

Hopefully by then, google maps will have uploaded it onto their database.

1huge1 wrote: »
    I hardly expected everyone to be using it straight away, granted government departments and the public sector should be forced to implement them, but I believe we won't see any real implementation until 12 months in.

Hopefully by then, google maps will have uploaded it onto their database.

Should be relatively easy for Google to add it since they already purchase the Geodirectory database and Eircode is built on that. Saw a guy on twitter with a relative working in Google reckons they're implementing it in September but nothing official.

• moyners wrote: »
    Some posters on another thread who've been in contact with eBay customer care have been told that eBay is aware of the problem and working on it.
    When I tried to do this just after the launch, I had the same issue so I just put the postcode on one of the secondary address lines, no problem.

I will just wait until they sort out the problem and then "fix" the address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭byrnefm

When I tried to do this just after the launch, I had the same issue so I just put the postcode on one of the secondary address lines, no problem.

I will just wait until they sort out the problem and then "fix" the address.
    I tried updating my main postal address on eBay.ie this morning .. and my Eircode is now accepted :). It didn't work on the site last month.

Advertisement