Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

christmas decorations for first christmas

• 02-09-2015 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi, this will be our first Christmas in our house, just wondering where is the best place to get decorations and can you get them from anyplace on the internet and lastly any ideas what to get what to go all out, cant wait

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

We've bought a few personalised decorations from here.

http://trimthetree.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 40 expatin africa

thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Some really nice decorations here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Hi, this will be our first Christmas in our house, just wondering where is the best place to get decorations and can you get them from anyplace on the internet and lastly any ideas what to get what to go all out, cant wait

There's a lovely one by Kurt Adler in BT of Santa &Mrs Claus having a little kiss and underneath it says "I love you to the North Pole and back".You can also get it online also from House of Holiday in the US......

C8800__15084.1434154929.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Love that decoration ^^!!!

You can buy it on BT website too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

If you have children I always find homestore and more good for some decorations or other colourful bits. I love their linen and table wear range every year too ! Plus they deliver if you purchase online !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

When we first broke out on our own for Christmassy stuff a few years back, I bought a massive 50-piece bauble set in Penneys. TBH they were great value and because they're so cheap you get MOUNTAINS of them and go nuts all over the house. We have baubles hanging from doorframes, the stairs, we made wreaths, everything. Since then we've added a few decorations here and there. We got a lovely vintage set in TK Maxx (actually you can get some great stuff in there coming up to Christmas) and then we try and pick up one or two "special" ornaments every year. I'm not a fan of the "coordinated tree" so I have loads of colour and random baubles and decorations all over the shop. My GF has been collecting the Newbridge silverware decorations for years, so they got added in too.

TL:DR- start with a big box of baubles and build it up a you go! That way you have memories to talk about as you put up the tree each year. :)

Woodies also normally have there tree decorations on offer in early December. I always pick up some really nice expensive looking baubles in there while they are on offer. They go fast though!

Baby and crumble your house sounds fab at christmas time real arts and craftsy! Love it ! Although I have to admit I have to have colour coordination (I'm too ocd to be looking at random colours /decorations on my tree. :P ) Always admire people who can their trees always look so cheery and festive !

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Baby and crumble your house sounds fab at christmas time real arts and craftsy! Love it ! Although I have to admit I have to have colour coordination (I'm too ocd to be looking at random colours /decorations on my tree. :P ) Always admire people who can their trees always look so cheery and festive !

Ah, I just enjoy making things, even if they turn out crap. Usually they're not too bad. I made a set of ceramic "Merry Christmas" bunting in my pottery class last year that turned out pretty cool though.

And I just love colour EVERYWHERE. I've had to tone it down since living with my girlfriend, her trees were always coordinated and stuff growing up. So we have a general theme of "vintage, silver and bursts of colour" on the tree now. Satisfies us both. I may or may not have a sneaky 2nd tree which is a bit more "me" somewhere around though. Usually near the hamster cage so he gets in on festivities.

Kinda scared about this year though, our first with a cat. It could all go HORRIBLY WRONG. :P

• Advertisement

Kinda scared about this year though, our first with a cat. It could all go HORRIBLY WRONG. :P

Omg a nerve wrecking christmas in your house ! The cat will have a good Christmas, or the hamster will have a really bad one or you and your girlfriend will have a really tense one waiting for something to happen ! :P I let my son have a little christmas tree in his room which is just a cliché of christmas, tinsel flashing lights every colour possible he loves it. Think I posted about it before and best description I could give to do it justice it looks like christmas threw up on his tree lol x

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Same as baby&crumble, we got a big box of baubles and built up. Each year we buy a newbridge silver decoration too. I'm a bit sad because last year I didn't get a chance and it was my baby's first Christmas. Will have to buy two this year and just pretend lol

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Last year I had a 10 month old puppy so couldn't even have a proper Christmas tree!
    Worth it though. It was a great Christmas with my new furry girl. :)

Posy wrote: »
    Last year I had a 10 month old puppy so couldn't even have a proper Christmas tree!
    Worth it though. It was a great Christmas with my new furry girl. :)

Awh! I'd love to get a puppy for christmas with a big bow! But we already have 3 here so it will have to wait a few years ! Which leads me to a random question ! Any one else put up a stocking for their pets for christmas all 3 dogs get one in my house :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

My mam always has present for our dog. She sits beside it waiting for us to open them for her.

10603635_10152912761530336_8582393081222820410_n.jpg?oh=415421d94059fd35794cd59c9442f3b8&oe=566AC642

I do the Animals & Pet forum secret santa each year. It's brilliant fun...

Awh kitten_k that is adorable ! Next time I'm up at my mams I may snap a picture of her mantle piece she has 10 dogs 8 indoor 2 outdoor (I know sounds like crazy dog lady but she has loads of space for them all! ) and each dog has a stocking up. And I used to think I was bad with just 3 :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Any one else put up a stocking for their pets for christmas all 3 dogs get one in my house :P

KWRx8Uw.jpg

7FfExrv.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The fish tank sock!! AMAZING!!!

Omg lol ha the fish sock ! Love it ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

If you want an "heirloom" type piece or pieces, I recommend something like "The Irish Handmade Glass Company" in Waterford. They're former Waterford Crystal workers who set themselves up in business.

I have a couple of pieces from them & they're really nice. If you ask them they'll do custom engraving so you could get the year and maybe your names cut into them. They need to update their site [link goes direct to their Xmas stuff], as I know they have some new Xmas designs out:

11942133_988903411147952_1127560804628469491_o.jpg

Advertisement