Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can I get a deposit back on a car if I find out something using a car check site?

• 23-08-2015 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I paid a deposit on a car yesterday but today used a paid car check online site and I found out that it was a UK import which I definitely do not want! If I ask for the deposit back will I get it because they didn't tell me it was?
    If anyone knows anything a response Asap would be appreciated👍🏻

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Zakojay wrote: »
    I paid a deposit on a car yesterday but today used a paid car check online site and I found out that it was a UK import which I definitely do not want! If I ask for the deposit back will I get it because they didn't tell me it was?
    If anyone knows anything a response Asap would be appreciatedðŸ‘ðŸ»

Unless you specifically asked them if it was a UK import and they denied it, you don't have much ground to stand on..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Why don't you want it because it is a UK import? Just seems a bit mad to not want the car if that is the only thing you found wrong with it.

The only one who can really answer your question is the garage that you gave the deposit to and under what terms and conditions the deposit is refundable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

A huge amount of cars sold here, both private and dealer sold are UK cars. It's not something the seller is required to disclose and isn't something to be overly worried about, depsite what the Irish car industry would have you believe. Perhaps ask the dealer to provide a further HPI check or do a few UK based ones yourself.

The laughable thing is that it was the S.I.M.I. that used to try scare monger people into not buying UK imports because it took sales from their own member dealers. Ironically they don't have the same problem nowadays as most of their members import and sell them themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

True. Except the likes of Cartell have taken up the same roll, blabbing about 1 in 10 UK cars being write offs etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,076 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

True. Except the likes of Cartell have taken up the same roll, blabbing about 1 in 10 UK cars being write offs etc.

Yes when in fact the real concern should be that there's no official system in place to log wrote off Irish cars which is shocking.

To be fair with the way the exchange rate has been recently the only real profits are in importing cars that are bought cheap in the UK because they have colourful histories. These are the ones the dodgy sellers tend to target.

The good thing though is that information about service history, insurance claims, MOT failures, etc on cars across the Irish Sea is available, try and find similar information on an Irish car and you will hit a brick wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Zakojay

Thanks for the replies I did a service check with motor check.ie I am a bit worried about the mileage the first year in England it did 22500 and since coming into this country only added up 50000 in five years total 72000 km for 09 I will ring the garage on Monday and ask about service history they just said one owner never mentioned anything , it is my own fault for not asking the questions thanks for all replies Lorraine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Thanks for the replies I did a service check with motor check.ie I am a bit worried about the mileage the first year in England it did 22500 and since coming into this country only added up 50000 in five years total 72000 km for 09 I will ring the garage on Monday and ask about service history they just said one owner never mentioned anything , it is my own fault for not asking the questions thanks for all replies Lorraine

They said one owner?

Well that's a lie if it's an import.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

"Oh but we meant one Irish owner..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Im confused.
    You bought the car on the basis that it did 12000 miles per year.

Now you find out that it did 22000 miles the first year and 10000 miles per year for the other years.

12000 miles p/a was ok but 10000 is suspiciously low?

UK fleets often have cars that do above average mileage. It's clear this was one of those. Irish buyer bought it and here we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

OP can you give an indication as to what part of the country it was or even the nearest place to the dealer without actually naming them???I know a place in Cork's southside that imports cars from the UK regularly and he is a bit of a conman,write off,clocking etc!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

as well as being clocked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Well that's a lie if it's an import.

What if someone bought it in the UK and moved back to Ireland.

Also the logbook will say one owner going on experience. I imported a car and the irish logbook stated "0 previous owners" after I paid the vrt. Could very well be a genuine mistake or oversight by the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Zakojay

Hi the mileage is in km they are saying 44000 miles on the clock or 72000 km . First year did 22000 km which means for the past five years the car could only have done 10000km yearly which seems very low. There not open today so will be contacting them tomorrow about it . I am in the Dublin north side

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is there any service history?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

Hi the mileage is in km they are saying 44000 miles on the clock or 72000 km . First year did 22000 km which means for the past five years the car could only have done 10000km yearly which seems very low. There not open today so will be contacting them tomorrow about it . I am in the Dublin north side
    So you want the car because it has low milage, but also don't want the car because it has low milage? :confused:

Advertisement