Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Cooking & Baking Thread

• 19-08-2015 3:28pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

So as the title says this is the Christmas Cooking & Baking Thread.

Post your Menu ideas here, favourite recepies and what to do with all those leftovers!

So has anyone started with their Christmas Cakes yet or are they waiting a few more weeks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Loughc wrote: »
    So as the title says this is the Christmas Cooking & Baking Thread.

Post your Menu ideas here, favourite recepies and what to do with all those leftovers!

So has anyone started with their Christmas Cakes yet or are they waiting a few more weeks?

Was just thinking about when I will make my Christmas Cake the other day! I made one for the first time last year and it turned out really well so I think I'll make one again this year :)

I think early November is plenty of time to make it really - that's a good 7 weeks to mature with all that booze in it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Ha that was quick ! I was thinking the same! My Father in law was a fantastic baker and baked all the puddings and christmas cakes. He unfortunately passed away last year but has left me all his cook books and recipes. :D And for the life of me I can't remember when he used to make the puddings! Not off to a good start ill admit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

My husband saw a bunch of recipes on The Chive yesterday and sent them to me. Some of them would be perfect for Christmas.

Cookie Dough Brownie Truffles

Easy Cookie Dough Fudge

Chocolate Chip Cookie Brittle

Bit of a chocolate chip cookie theme there!

And I saw this recipe the other day that I'm definitely going to try:

Cherry Truffles

And finally, I make this fudge recipe every Christmas. It's really good. There's even a video that you can watch before you make it.

Ooh! toto Wolfcastle that fudge looks lovely ! May try that soon ! Thanks x

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Ooh. How about discussing our favourite leftover sandwiches.

I love a couple of nice white fresh slices from the bakery, one piece buttered and the other spread with mayo. Then, on the buttered side, layer up on baked ham and turkey. Spread the turkey with a little cranberry sauce, then top with pork and herb stuffing. Top with the mayo-bread, and serve with a little pot of turkey gravy.

Lads. When is Christmas again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Every year I make hampers for my friends.

Everyone gets:

Shortbread
    Chocolate biscuit cake (my grandfathers recipe)
    Chilli Jam (I get requests for extra jars now...)
    Oreo bark (seriously this stuff is like crack)
    Some infused oils or booze (Gin is great for infusing, and super easy. I made cranberry gin one year and it went down a storm! Great for Christmassy cocktails!!)
    Some flavoured sugars/ salts (Vanilla sugar is amazing and rosemary slat is super easy but soooo handy!)

I don't normally make Christmas cake- none of my family was big into it but I think I might this year. It'll be my first year hosting my in-laws...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Ooh. How about discussing our favourite leftover sandwiches.

I love a couple of nice white fresh slices from the bakery, one piece buttered and the other spread with mayo. Then, on the buttered side, layer up on baked ham and turkey. Spread the turkey with a little cranberry sauce, then top with pork and herb stuffing. Top with the mayo-bread, and serve with a little pot of turkey gravy.

Lads. When is Christmas again?

Sweet baby Jesus I'm drooling at the thoughts of this!!
    Every year I make hampers for my friends.

Everyone gets:

Shortbread
    Chocolate biscuit cake (my grandfathers recipe)
    Oreo bark (seriously this stuff is like crack)

I'm assuming you'll be making a hamper for us on this forum too! It all sounds so nice!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Sweet baby Jesus I'm drooling at the thoughts of this!!

I'm assuming you'll be making a hamper for us on this forum too! It all sounds so nice!! :D

You never know what santa will bring... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 MyCocoBaby

Last year I tried a few American recipes. You know they love their cookies, aaaand they didn't disappoint! One of the recipes I tried was 'clothes pin' cookies. Shop bought puff pastry, cut into strips, wrapped around half inch poles, baked off, and filled with a butter cream filling, or fresh stabalized cream. So easy. Basically a cream horn! Keep them in an air tight container & only fill them the day you need them. Went down a treat here!

The poles come in about 5f lenghts, but I just cut them into 5" lenghts. It was nice to try something different.
    Cresent cookies is another one,
    Snow ball cookies,

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭WittyNameForMe

359453.jpg

These aren’t technically cooking or baking, but they are just Christmassy cute and so easy. They would be handy to make with kids or if you wanted to make a big batch. They are just marshmallow and Oreo cookie covered in chocolate.

• Advertisement

For anyone who gives homemade food gifts, Ikea has a range of bottles and jars that would be perfect for sauces or chutneys or jams and they have gold and silver tins in the same collection that would be great for homemade chocolate or fudge or biscuits. They also have plastic and paper bags, labels and string.

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/categories/collections/31585/

Wish there was an ikea near me :-(

leahyl wrote: »
    Wish there was an ikea near me :-(

Having it close by (10-15 minutes drive) isn't great either! When I want to go there but don't actually need anything I end up coming up with a list of things that I think I need but don't really. It gets expensive. :D

Having it close by (10-15 minutes drive) isn't great either! When I want to go there but don't actually need anything I end up coming up with a list of things that I think I need but don't really. It gets expensive. :D

Sounds great! :D

Sounds great! :D

+1 ! Downside ... I'd be broke because I'd in and out of it every five minutes :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

For anyone who gives homemade food gifts, Ikea has a range of bottles and jars that would be perfect for sauces or chutneys or jams and they have gold and silver tins in the same collection that would be great for homemade chocolate or fudge or biscuits. They also have plastic and paper bags, labels and string.

http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/categories/collections/31585/

Thanks! I've been looking for jars like these to lay out sweets ala Candy Cart style.
    Glitzgirl wrote: »
    +1 ! Downside ... I'd be broke because I'd in and out of it every five minutes :)

And not to mention the time it takes getting around that place! It's like a time blackhole!

And not to mention the time it takes getting around that place! It's like a time blackhole!
    Only if you do it wrong! Straight downstairs once you reach the top of the escalator and power on through all the people who are wandering around like zombies, taking as many of the shortcuts as possible. Obviously that only works if you know what you want and don't have to look at the showroom part. I love Ikea.

Obviously that only works if you know what you want and don't have to look at the showroom part. I love Ikea.

Here lies my problem haha. I may have an idea of what I need but when I get in there it's distraction city haha.

I go in with lists and great intentions of doing a trolley dash styled shop, but I always get distracted and spend hours. That's my excuse anyway and I'm sticking to it :D

Does anybody have any recommendations of where to buy sturdy Christmas cupcake cases?? Is there a good website that does a good array of cake decorating supplies etc?

• Advertisement

Does anybody have any recommendations of where to buy sturdy Christmas cupcake cases?? Is there a good website that does a good array of cake decorating supplies etc?

I got some christmas themed baking accessories in homestore and more and have to say was happy with the quality of everything bar the cupcake cases I found them very flimsy. Any cases I have tried lately seem to be the same though?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

'Decobake' on Bachelors Walk , Dublin 1 have loads of cake decorating stuff- and so do 'Stock' on King Street in Dublin 2, although that's a good bit smaller than Decobake.

Posy wrote: »
    'Decobake' on Bachelors Walk , Dublin 1 have loads of cake decorating stuff- and so do 'Stock' on King Street in Dublin 2, although that's a good bit smaller than Decobake.

Thanks Posy but unfortunately not near me... :-(

Is Brennans still open in Cork? They'd probably have cake decorating stuff. I think it was upstairs last time I was there. (Years ago!)

Is Brennans still open in Cork? They'd probably have cake decorating stuff. I think it was upstairs last time I was there. (Years ago!)

Thanks Toto Wolf castle, yes Brennans is still there, ill have a look. Just noticed now though that Decobake have an online store....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Yes, Decobake are online. It looks very easy to spend a lot of money on that website. :D

EDIT: Here's their Christmas page

http://www.decobake.com/product-category/seasonal/christmas/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Last Christmas I made my grandmother a basket of gingerbread and other cookies which seemed to go down well, so this year I reckon I'm going all out baking. :pac:

Have never baked a Christmas cake before, so was just wondering did any of you guys have some recommendations of recipes? And the whole "maturing" thing, what's the consensus on that here? From my (admittedly only rudimentary) research, some say 3 months beforehand and feed it every few weeks, others say just do it 6 weeks beforehand and don't bother feeding it...

PS: Toto Wolfcastle, damn you! Those recipes in post #4 have me drooling... :P

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Last Christmas I made my grandmother a basket of gingerbread and other cookies which seemed to go down well, so this year I reckon I'm going all out baking. :pac:

Have never baked a Christmas cake before, so was just wondering did any of you guys have some recommendations of recipes? And the whole "maturing" thing, what's the consensus on that here? From my (admittedly only rudimentary) research, some say 3 months beforehand and feed it every few weeks, others say just do it 6 weeks beforehand and don't bother feeding it...

PS: Toto Wolfcastle, damn you! Those recipes in post #4 have me drooling... :P

I made my first Christmas cake last year and it was a big success!! I was told it tasted amazing! I used Mary Berrys recipe from her baking bible - really easy! I fed the cake about twice more between the time I made it and Christmas and that was plenty! I'm gonna make it again this year, and mince pies and Christmas cookies too!:D

Christmas Cookies you say..... WANT

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I made my first Christmas cake last year and it was a big success!! I was told it tasted amazing! I used Mary Berrys recipe from her baking bible - really easy! I fed the cake about twice more between the time I made it and Christmas and that was plenty! I'm gonna make it again this year, and mince pies and Christmas cookies too!:D

Ta, will definitely look that up. :)

I used this recipe for my cookies last year. And this one for the gingerbread... (Now, I'm not saying I got into baking in a big way last year because I found Laura's channel and sort of fell in love... but let's just say it didn't hurt! :P)

Advertisement