Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cork Airport - *Read Mod Note in First Post Before Posting*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Cork does not close at 10 o clock, some flights especially afternoon flights to the Canaries do not return until 12.30/12.45. Dublin is not the best IMO, it offers the greatest range of flights but I will not travell through Dublin if I can help it, I'd rather go through LHR or AMS which is what we are doing next year.
    Being seperated does not mean growth straight away, airlines will fly from places if they think they can make money, no other reason. T/A out of Cork, forget it, especially if the M20 goes ahead. Don't listen to what MOL has to say, he's only interested in FR and nobody else and rightly so. SNN is independent and is slowly finding out what it is like to be on it's own. They were fortunate to have several maintainence companies based there, also the size of their runway means they have heavy lift cargo flights, also the majority of T/A diversions.
    Also Limerick people are loyal to their root's, unlike the gobsh**es that we have in Cork. Aircoach has never been so busy. I was talking to someone lately who had used the bus to Dublin airport to fly to Memmingham. "Why there I asked, I wanted to go to Munich he replied, why did'nt you fly from Cork direct with EI, I did'nt know they flew there, any way I would'nt fly with EI, I'd rather go to Dublin". So here is the sort of thinking that Cork and possibly SNN are up against when comparing flights with Dublin. It's going to be a long hard road ahead for both airports especially if vested interests start playing one against the other.
    Just for clarity the guy getting the bus would have spent a minimum of 6 hours on a return journey, he charges €75 per hour labour in his garage so by 6 = €450.and he'd still get the bus.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

It's a shame really reading this forum. Cork airport is in my opinion the best airport in Ireland.
    Last year I made sure that even though I live in Dublin, I took a flight to France for a French exchange from there.

It seems to me that the only solution is to increase the traffic, as I heard that the airport closes at 10pm? (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Anyway, more ryanair/air lingus flights should be created, and possibly a flight to a US locaton which Dublin Airport won't serve

First wave of flights depart from Cork around 5:55am, still arrive in after midnight and AFAIK the place is open 24/7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

First wave of flights depart from Cork around 5am

6 Am

Fixed it thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭.red.

roundymac wrote: »
    I was talking to someone lately who had used the bus to Dublin airport to fly to Memmingham. "Why there I asked, I wanted to go to Munich he replied, why did'nt you fly from Cork direct with EI, I did'nt know they flew there, any way I would'nt fly with EI, I'd rather go to Dublin". So here is the sort of thinking that Cork and possibly SNN are up against when comparing flights with Dublin. /I]

To be fair, that guy is obviously an idiot, we're not all that stupid in Cork!

• Advertisement

.red. wrote: »
    To be fair, that guy is obviously an idiot, we're not all that stupid in Cork!
    I seem to know a lot of idiots or langers in Cork speak in that case.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭ Ahmad Bumpy Spareribs

roundymac wrote: »
    I seem to know a lot of idiots or langers in Cork speak in that case.:eek:

If you know people that think it's rational to get a 3hr bus (and other 3hrs return) trip to Dublin to get a non-direct flight, rather be arsed to check their local airport and get the direct flight; then yes, they are idiots :)

If he charges €75 an hour, then he should know the value of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I've read the above article but I wouldn't put a huge amount of blame at their feet.
    It was a last minute change of plane, outside the scope of expected plane sizes, they can't have all available steps just sitting there swaying in the wind.

Or would you say they should have at least one type of each step to accomodate emergency landings?
    Also could they not have used the bridges?

Should I be more outaged, basically?!

No I'm not saying that, but there was at least 150 + people who probably are saying that because they booked to fly to Cork and ended up in Dublin. They won't care who's fault it is but it still looks bad for Cork. As for a set of steps swaying the wind most of these are ajustable to the sige of aircraft, if they had a larger set available the would IMO be able to use it on a 737/A320 type aircraft. (Open to correction on that part and expect to be hung drawn and quarted):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭thomil

razorblunt wrote: »
    I've read the above article but I wouldn't put a huge amount of blame at their feet.
    It was a last minute change of plane, outside the scope of expected plane sizes, they can't have all available steps just sitting there swaying in the wind.

Or would you say they should have at least one type of each step to accomodate emergency landings?
    Also could they not have used the bridges?

Should I be more outaged, basically?!

Well, it's not as if Cork airport hasn't handled aircraft of this size in the recent past. Remember the German Luftwaffe A310 that was sent here for a crew change on the Sail Training Vessel Gorch Fock back in March 2014? Same general size as the Boeing 767. I'd say this is more about deciding which is cheaper for the carter operator: Busing the passengers to Dublin, or picking up the tab for ferrying an empty wide body airliner halfway across the country.

Using the bridge isn't practical, though. I just checked the Cork Charts in the AIP ( http://www.iaa.ie/safe_reg/iaip/Frame1.htm ) and the stands in front of the terminal can take aircraft with a max. wingspan of 38 to 41 meters. The Boeing 767 has a wingspan of 47 meters, so it would have to be parked up near the cargo buildings.

I've also just done a quick search on the internet for the ground clearance of the passenger doors for a Boeing 767. It's door is 4.07 meters off the ground, while that of an Airbus A320, which is a pretty regular visitor to Cork, has a ground clearance of 3.46 meters. That's 60 centimetres of difference, it wouldn't surprise me if even the existing air stairs were capable of that.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Good stuff lads, yet another thread where I make an attempted humorous post only to learn new things!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

T5 is very congested at LHR I can;t see them moving anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

He is usually accurate, so big news. So use it it or lose it.

This is interesting, lately i have noticed a lot of billboards around the City advertising Shannon's American routes specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

A European Airline not already at Cork apparently. Sounds to me like it'll be a stopover en route to Boston from somewhere.

A European Airline not already at Cork apparently. Sounds to me like it'll be a stopover en route to Boston from somewhere.

https://twitter.com/irishexaminer/status/647168188178919424

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

So Norwegian Air three times a week. Hope it happens and does well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Are these going to be direct flights? Norwegian Air fly 787 Dreamliners.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Are these going to be direct flights? Norwegian Air fly 787 Dreamliners.

Doubt it .. runway is too short, would probably be a stopover somewhere.

Most sources on twitter saying it's direct. But if it's a stopover can't see it being a success. Who wants to fly 2 hours to Oslo, layover and then 7 hours to Boston?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Is this not an over told myth?

gimmick wrote: »

Not when it comes to a 787. According to Boeings own fact sheet Cork's runway is too short to accommodate it.

What type of plane though?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

gimmick wrote: »

http://modernairliners.com/boeing-787-dreamliner/boeing-787-dreamliner-specs

Take Off distance at MTOW at sea level (ISA)
    10,300 ft (3,100 m)
    High Thrust Rating: 8,500 ft (2,600 m)

Cork is 2133 meters (6988 feet)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

It would likely be a 737-800 which they already use on their Oslo to Dubai route which is slightly longer than Cork to Boston. Also they've an A320NEO on order which could do it too.

Advertisement