Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Americans watch Father Ted [VIDEO]

• 18-08-2015 3:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Buzzfeed have uploaded a video of some of its American staff members watching Father Ted (specifically The Passion of Saint Tibulus - the episode with the famous 'Down with this sort of thing!'/'Careful now' exchange).

Needless to say, they don't get it at all.

Here are some choice lines.

- “Irish people... they're always wearing turtle-necks.
    - “Are we supposed to laugh at that?
    - “I don't think it's funny at all, so far. Am I going to offend a lot of people by saying that?
    - “She [Mrs Doyle] does not take 'no' for an answer.”
    - “Those Irish have a dry sense of humour.”
    - “I'm definitely attracted to him [Dougal].”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,548 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I will be the judge of how accurate this is :cool:

Yeah, the people in that video seem legitimately naive to the greatness of Father Ted. Shame. Damn feckin' shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Down with this sort of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Wouldn't expect them to get it,but what school of PC were they in?
    Is this the future?
    Are these my feet?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,651 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Buzzfeed have uploaded a video of some of its American staff members watching Father Ted

Hardly a representative sample of the general population now, are they in all fairness?

It's like when they tried to make an American version of the In-betweeners, that was absolutely dire, not even the Americans themselves could watch it, it was that bad!

I've no doubt there are many Americans would totally get Father Ted, it's just a matter of pitching it to the right audience...

not Buzzfeed staff obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

BBC America showed Fr Ted for a few months but had to stop because gob****es in Boston and New York complained that it was offensive to Irish people and Catholics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

The 2 girls together seemed to kind of get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

I've found that older Americans generally don't find it very funny, whereas those under 25 do. Anyone I've talked to from the UK finds it hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

They'd probably be rolling about laughing if you put Big Bang Theory in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Love the way the hairy guys headphones don't touch his mop...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

'Mercans, say no more!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,297 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

that would be an American matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

They were getting there, they ,just need a few more episodes,

would there be anything to be said, for another mass ?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

I'm not sure I'd even find it funny if I started watching it from a random episode like them.

Ea-mon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

J. Marston wrote: »
    They'd probably be rolling about laughing if you put Big Bang Theory in front of them.

Nowt wrong with TBBT :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Father Ted is funny because it plays off the stereotypes of irish people and our relationship with the catholic church.

If you didn't already understand these concepts then it's just slapstick and not particularly funny

I know people who grew up in S. Africa and they just don't get Fr Ted at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,336 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

"Any time I see an Irish sit com I don't know whether to laugh or shove it up my ass".

Such a thing American humor is.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

I never really got into father ted. overated IMO. ..blasphemy I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I remember watching the first episode the night it debuted on Channel 4 and thinking it wasn't very good! By about episode 3 I had completely changed my mind on it!

• Should have shown them Speed 3 or the episode where Ted is a racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

As Akrasia said, Father Ted is about Irish stereotypes and the Catholic church and so the humour is often lost on foreigners. I think that Irish films reflect our unique sense of humour which I particularly enjoy. My OH is German and when she moved to Ireland she tried to watch Father Ted because a friend was raving about it but she just did not get it. It was the same for her with Irish films at first but now she understands the humour and enjoys the films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

MOD: Thread moved to Cool Vids & Pics & Links. Please note this forums Charter: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056144014

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

Awful lot of butthurt Father Ted fanboys here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Awful lot of butthurt Father Ted fanboys here.

To be fair youre kinda right here. Some people do get fiercly defensive of it. Im actually surprised the show went over as well as it did in England, i mean it's a uniquely Irish thing. i love it myself but I'd take Black Books over Father Ted (or any sitcom ever) any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

mad muffin wrote: »

Are you for real? They have to use a laugh track to remind the viewers to join in. It's embarrassing to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Are you for real? They have to use a laugh track to remind the viewers to join in. It's embarrassing to watch.

"You've dispersed H20 molecules from the vessel I was employing across the surface area adjacent to me"
    "what?"
    "you knocked his glass over"
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

"Hey, are you coming over?"
    "There's a Star Wars marathon on with previously unheard commentary from George Lucas."
    "I was at victoria's secret today" (or some other sexual innuendo)
    *Runs out of room*
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Repeat for 50 million seasons

kfallon wrote: »
    I remember watching the first episode the night it debuted on Channel 4 and thinking it wasn't very good! By about episode 3 I had completely changed my mind on it!

It was a flop at the start here as well.
    The references would be lost on Americans though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

mad muffin wrote: »

Everything is wrong with it.

Its existence is an affront to humanity and the creators and cast should be put on trial for crimes against comedy.

"But people have different tastes in comedy...." I hear you say. I say no! Big Bang Theory is the drizzling shíts and that's not opinion, it's fact.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Everything is wrong with it.

Its existence is an affront to humanity and the creators and cast should be put on trial for crimes against comedy.

"But people have different tastes in comedy...." I hear you say. I say no! Big Bang Theory is the drizzling shíts and that's not opinion, it's fact.

Sheldon's girlfriend is a class actor,the shining light of the show.
    The rest not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

The laughter track in the background for Two and a Half men is seriously cheesey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Advertisement