Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post to USA: Question

• 15-08-2015 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hi!

I sent something via post to the USA on Thursday and I only realised last night that I'd completely forgotten the Street Address. I'm freaking out now because I'm completely at a loss for what to do, and I'm terrified it won't get to the individual (it's a trade of items so it's important that it does get there).

I've contacted the local PO and she's told me it's a lost cause. If I'm lucky the post will find its way back here after 3 months or so.

Does anyone have any advice or experiences I might be able to draw on?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭SPDUB

I would have to agree with your local PO that without a street address that the USPS wouldn't even attempt to deliver it

The best you can hope for is that USPS immediately toss it back to Ireland .

If there is a return address in Ireland on the outside of it hopefully you should get it back soon enough .

If no return address on outside then it will be sent to the "Dead Letter Office " ( I think it's real name is the Returned Letter Branch ) in Limerick for them to open up and see if they can find an address inside of it .

If no address inside they will note the contents and kept the package for a certain amount of time ( a few months at least )

If no return address then get in contact with An Post customer services and describe the package and it's contents so that when it turns up at the "Dead Letter Office" they can get it back to you as soon as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If you sent it by registered post there may be a better chance of getting it back using it's unique tracking id. It's risky to send important/valuable items by normal post in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

There's a return address on the outside of the box, thankfully. I'm praying that they do send it back quickly.

I just feel completely stupid about it, I totally blanked out the street line for whatever reason and wrote the rest. I suppose best I can do is keep fingers and toes crossed it gets back ASAP and I'll be able to sort it out here.

Honestly, I didn't even think about registered. I guess I can say lesson learned, but it's still got me bothered.

Thank you both for your replies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

When you get it back send it using Registered Post International. It's more expensive but you'll get upto €100 insurance cover and you'll be able to track progress and get proof of delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

Just an update of sorts on this. I replaced and re-sent the package, this time via registered. For €5 extra it's worth knowing it should be handled with greater care, but either way I've made sure the address is correct this time! Thanks for your help guys :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement