Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Macal

Indeed well done to Simon. I unfortunately didn't get very far. I lost to a youtuber from MBA called Jazdabham, and to be honest I lost mainly due to being distracted by all the noise at the event; Jazda's friend Sully was recording on camera and talking commentary during that match and it caused me to go on auto-pilot and not really concentrate. I haven't been to a lot of big events and considering the rest of Europe is more reserved than the UK when it comes to that, it was kind of foreign to me. I would say I developed an immunity by the end of it lol, so it shouldn't happen again.

Pools weren't organized that well either (probably due to none of the TOs being very familiar with the UK Tekken scene); no revision was made after Kuro announced he couldn't go; he was the most likely favourite of his pool and it was definitely the least scary of them without him there, and mine was unquestionably the toughest sharing it with Bilal, InfernoKong, Gilagamesh, Bobo etc. The best match during the pools was unquestionably Simon Vs King Jae. Jae, who got word (probably from me commenting on a YT vid of his) of Simon beating Fergus during the qualifiers was hungry to beat him, and lost 3-0 using all his teams (Gan/Bob, Double Ogres and Bru/Kaz), pretty much hit him right in the ego but he claimed was just downloading Simon in that match...

On Sunday, Simon cruised his way into Top 4 (although he was lovably modest and nervous for every match) with me coaching at his side. The fight in winners finals against Roo Kang was probably the best of the whole tourney, both played extremely well with Mario squeaking out a 3-2 victory thanks to a few good hard reads. Losers final was against Jae (who was put in losers by Bilal but then lost to Djay Voo, who was then beaten by Jae) and picked Bob/Bruce for a specific reason; hopkicks. Jae's gameplan was to hopkick Simon to crush his lows in his offensive flowchart and unfortunately Jae's strats worked enough for to win 3-1. Mario then beat Jae without much difficultly.

Later on the Ireland and Scotland Vs England 10 vs 10 was on; I lost first to Ez who beat another Scotland player then lost to Bobo, who beat EIGHT England players in a row, finally losing to Jae who beat the rest of the Scotland players. Simon was the last on our team who got his runback against Jae, but couldn't do it against Roo Kang unfortunately. All-in-all a great event; pretty bad more couldn't turn up due to the clash with LD 2.

Speaking of which; I'm hoping to see a detailed log of that whole event, Gus. I mean you only shared an apartment with Koreans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Ok...where do I even start lol

Friday started with all of us walking all over London to various tourist spots with JDCR, Help Me, Kor and 7-8 other CKT members, had some food. Didn't play any casuals though as we had no setups that night. Myself and Adam0 stayed up to 4am or so to organize the groups schedules and make sure it's ready for the next day.

We got up at 7am on Sat to head out to the venue, did some last minute planning with Lion-o and some other CKT members for groups schedules. We ran into some problems with lack of copies and 1/2 setups not working for groups but it got sorted out before people came in. Running groups was pretty tiring but I got out in 1st with a 16-0 result (I had a relatively easy pool). Then in brackets, I beat one of the top Finnish players with Jinpachi/Jack/Christie putting me into the 2nd round in winners. Then I had to fight (arguably) Europes strongest player Devil with his unorthodox Bob/Kazuya playstyle. I had a confidence boost after winning the 1st match then he just steam rolled me for the next 3 games xd. Then I had to fight a CKT member(!!) cris4thewin with Zafina/Yoshi and I regretfully had to put him out.

On Sunday, we headed back to the venue for top 32. My 3rd opponent was Isawayto, a Raven/Lars from Netherlands. I knocked him out of the tournament with 3-0. My 4th opponent in brackets was Matt-JF (Devil's brother) with Steve/Julia. I am naturally weak vs Steve as he is a hard counter to my playstyle so I got beaten up a bit with 3-1. So the 2 Polish brothers both beat me 3-1 thus sending me out of the tournament at joint 17th place (which I am very happy with considering the tourney had 144 people with 70-80% of it being killers). I used a combination of Asuka/Jun and Asuka/Julia but mostly Julia. I considered using Panda/Jun vs Matt-JF but I decided to keep Asuka/Jun to have two 2+3 punch parries vs Steve.

I didn't get to play that many people unfortunately as setups were pretty hard to get with the number of people and tourney matches going on. I got to play BonusJin (UK Zafina/Nina), Tuobbos (Finnish Asuka/Jin) and we also got to play some solo Asuka mirrors which was gdlk :D. I also got to play Lee4073, an Austrian Mishima player, The Chef (UK Bryan/Bruce and one of the really old school EU players), Adam0 (fellow CKT member, Swedish Raven/Miguel), cris4thewin (the guy I had to play in tourney, also a CKT member and he's from Portugal)

Kor asked to play me while I was playing Ice_Beam so we played for about a hour. This was after he got knocked out by Caiper in tourney (Spanish Lars/Feng) so his play must have been off because I felt like I was taking more matches than I should be from him. He told me that I have the best Jun he has played vs, even with USA Juns :D:D .

After the tourney, we went out about in london again with the Spanish players joining us + Kor/Koreans hitting up some bars/clubs and cafes then settled back into the apartment completely destroyed. A drunken Help Me cooked up some chocolate and told us to come with him to put it on a sleeping JDCR and record it while he does it xD. It's so weird seeing these big names just chilling with you. Pretty surreal experience.

So that's about a summarized version of the weekend. It was a pretty fun experience and I really recommend the next one. This was the biggest UK tekken tourney if I'm right in saying that. On the bus heading home now to pass out.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Ixayek_usurper

Both sound like excellent events! I'm super ****ing jealous lads! :mad::D
    Well done on your turnouts lads and well done to Simon.
    Shame Kuro couldn't make it.

@Neil:
    I tried for ages to find a stream of the bloody event but got nowhere man. Could only find the 'capcom pro tour' stuff and well, there wasn't any tekken being shown there...
    Shame as it sounded like it had some excellent matches.
    Regarding the 'crowd noise' issue; it's definitely something which I KNOW i would be ****ed over with too. Sure I can barely handle the XGC!! And that's even when Maz aint there! lol!
    Also, check your PM's man.

@Gus
    You had loadsa support in stream with myself, maz, omara and dragonarse in there at one time or another; not to mention your usual fan boys! Az and Luffy were rooting for you too! :)
    I was surprised ya didn't get on the mic at some point to commentate?

Best matches for me (as a spectator) were Devil vs Phantom; such a tight game with some great moments. Literally went down to the last hit! I really like phantoms play in general and his raven is really one of the best around. I saw he sent Adam-O to losers too, which is another match I'm hoping will turn up on YT at some point.
    Next was Caiper vs Kalak. Top match from both these guys with some really hype moments. Caiper has a lot of style which I like.

That Phantom vs Devil was probably the most hype match of the whole tournament. All the blocks from both sides at end of the final round and missed punishes. I believe Phantom dropped a float combo to win as well.

Yeah I saw some of the people supporting in the twitch chat, nice to see xD

Adam really wanted that win vs Phantom (some inside Raven player thing) and was pretty disappointed that he lost. Phantom's style is really weird to me, it's so cheesy but he does it at the right times which is...perplexing.

Caiper vs Kor was pretty sick too, I actually got talking to Caiper a bit about his time in Peru and he pretty much said everything that we know already but he's gonna add more in his post tomorrow or so (in english)

@Usurper, I don't see anything in my PM inbox?

• Advertisement

Here's a few matches featuring myself and Simon. First, a pretty humiliating loss from me to Jazda. I would have picked up some of his habits like all those random ff+2s with Hei and panic hopkicks with Armor King if I didn't let myself get distracted by the noises and Sully's commentary. I missed some punishes as well and dropped some combos that I wouldn't normally do either.

The entireity of the Tekken stream for Hypespotting is here

http://www.twitch.tv/versusscotland/v/4001163

Macal wrote: »
    @Usurper, I don't see anything in my PM inbox?
    I've resent it :)

Also,
    I bloddy checked that 'vs scotland' stream twice on the day when tekken was supposed to be on and all I say was smash and nobody was giving any info about tekken....
    I'll check 'em out when I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ryanakabyitz

Macal wrote: »
    Here's a few matches featuring myself and Simon. First, a pretty humiliating loss from me to Jazda. I would have picked up some of his habits like all those random ff+2s with Hei and panic hopkicks with Armor King if I didn't let myself get distracted by the noises and Sully's commentary. I missed some punishes as well and dropped some combos that I wouldn't normally do either.

The entireity of the Tekken stream for Hypespotting is here

http://www.twitch.tv/versusscotland/v/4001163

Any more footage of the Irish players?

Jae vs Simon at HS4.

I only had one match on stream and it was a pool match. I was meant to play Devil on stream in brackets but that got replaced.

http://www.twitch.tv/ckt_gaming/b/645661141 at 02:11:00

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

Man, I hate it when I see matches won with hopkicks, but he adapted better than Simon. No WM though? :(

• Advertisement

The Ireland and Scotland Vs England 10 vs 10.

My match against Ez is at the very start and Simon's matches against King Jae and Rookang are towards the end.

Results for Northwest Majors;

1st: Inkog
    2nd: Mr Naps
    3rd: Anakin
    4th: Bronson
    5th: Nyc Fab and Lil' Majin
    7th: Just Frame James and Speedkicks

I don't know about you guys, but given recent history, Inkog might have proven himself to now be the best in the US.

I'll post a Twitch archive or Youtube upload from Khaos Gaming once I find it.

Do you have to subscribe to watch twitch archives? I can't seem to watch them.

Do you have to subscribe to watch twitch archives? I can't seem to watch them.

Nope, you don't have to.

It must be because I live in Saheen's stupid country so.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dwy

Anyone interested in playing a few sets with me on psn? Let me know :)

Ign - Dwyerster

Good to see your still knocking about Dwy! :)

Lads,
    does anyone have a link to the restream of Strong Style?

http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky/v/5106973

It's not the whole thing but I think all of top 8 is there plus loads of notable matches.

The Aris/Rip commentary isn't live, they did it at Bronsons house on the already recorded footage.

well at least the SS matches have made it before T7.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I'll be free in Dublin today from 1-4 if anyone wants to have a few games?

I'll be free in Dublin today from 1-4 if anyone wants to have a few games?

Only saw this now, Novi. Sorry about that.

FINALLY

So I'm just back from VS Fighting 5, and there's a lot to talk about.

I spent the first night at Veggy's (OG Feng/Paul player) on the outskirts of Birmingham playing casuals with Anwar, Locolei, MBA Syn, and Fumarayz. Shimna and Xai were also there for the night.

Did OK in the actual tournament. Placed 25th, was put into losers by King Jae; I kind of underestimated his ability to punish and played a bit too unsafe, so no vengeance for Simon unfortunately :P. I was knocked out by another Tekken OG; Raging Fist who played party animal Capos, which I generally do whack against. Interestingly Raging Fist's daughter, no older than about 12-13, made it to Top 24 with a surprisingly solid Nina/Anna team. Spag actually showed up later on his way to a family thing and I got to play a few games with him.

The top 8 was a bit weird. Real Menace, last year's champion, was actually put into losers by Haroun (Hwo/Anna). Menace came very close to exiting early as well, just about beating Shimna (Double Laws). Haroun's match vs King Jae in winner's was real nail-biter, if Haroun was more exploitative of Jae not stepping Anna in FC, then Haroun would very likely have been sitting pretty in Grand Finals. Afterwards Menace actually switched from Devil Jin/Bob to Lars/Eddy and beat everyone from there. Very unusual I gotta say.

Sunday was more casuals, against Tenkai, Haroun, Shadowforce etc. All-in-all the best fun I've had Tekken in around forever.

Wee writeup about UT.

We stayed at Jiestar's place on Thurs and just played some casuals before making a 14 hour car trip to Marseille where UT was held. Had some dinner at his Chinese restaurant for free :cool:

We arrived in Marseille and went to a pre-UT session that Nemmo hosted. I didn't get to play any of the internationals since they were in high demand :( but I got to play a lot of the french people and did pretty well, won every set.

Then UT started, the hardest match I had was vs this double Bears from Italy and people told me that he has the best Bears in EU. I lost 2-0 to him and won the rest of my matches.

Then brackets started and I got some french King/Lili for my 1st match, I won 3-0 pretty smoothly then moved onto the 2nd bracket which was the Italian Bear player again. I won it with 3-1 while using the cheap Julia unblockable combo on Bears (shotgun combo into free unblockable that they can't escape on ground).

Then I played Kagemaru who is a top JP player with Jack/Bruce. I won the 1st match and I thought "whoa I could actually win this". He won the 2nd match then I won the 3rd match. I was really nervous at this stage because I know I can easily lose if I lose my focus even on 2-1 in my favour. And that is exactly what happened, I made some dumb mistakes like doing Julia's ff14 which gave him the match winning combo. I had final round twice in 2-1 and threw it away badly. :( A lot of people gathered around to watch this set which added a bit of pressure lol.

I played vs Sersambo who is an Italian Drag/Leo and also is the best Drag in EU. This was the first time I brought out Jun in the tourney so far. I was down 1-2 with Julia vs him and decided to try Jun out and it was a good decision which gave me the win at 3-2. The polish stage walls didn't favour him well at all.

Then I played vs J-Mike, a French Bruce/Eddy (best Bruce in EU) and I was feeling Jun a bit from the previous set so I started out with her this time. I brought it down to 2-0 and did the classic me of losing my focus on a good lead and he managed to bring it to 2-2. So I picked Julia and just won the match 3-0 in rounds to take the set.

I was pretty excited at this stage because I got pretty far so I looked at the brackets to see who my next opp was, then I saw it was AO who is a JP player, the best Alisa in the world and the favorite to win the tourney. Needless to say, I got rekt by him 3-0. My only comfort is that 2 of the matches went to final round. :pac:

Played a lot of casuals but I didn't get to play certain people as much as I'd like to as most people were watching the tourney or already knee deep in MMs. (I won a few myself)

I got to play some T7. The game looks super pretty and Asuka is really bad now. Thanks Namco :like:

I'm very happy with my 9th place considering how stacked the tourney was + all the internationals and roughly 140 signups. The venue was really nice but it was a massive disappointment that there was no stream for the viewers at home especially when UT is considered the biggest EU tourny for tekken. Apparently they didn't check the venue for internet before taking it.

Then we made another 14 hour car trip back to Brussels, played some more casuals and went our separate ways back home.

UT was sick, if anyone is considering going to a tekken tourney, save your money for this! Hopefully it's in a better location next time though.

:D

Wow you're really coming on man, it takes AO to knock you out now eh? :)

Do you see yourself playing Tekken 7 and trying to win tournaments like this in the future? If so, what do you think you need to work on the most? Experience?

Wow you're really coming on man, it takes AO to knock you out now eh? :)

Do you see yourself playing Tekken 7 and trying to win tournaments like this in the future? If so, what do you think you need to work on the most? Experience?

I'm hoping to do what Malekith did in T6 in EU and do really well at a high level in EU tourney scene with Asuka even if she got nerfed really unfairly from TTT2.

I pride myself on knowing my options after I knock my opponent down. I won't let people tag for free and forcing the best options I know I can do after certain moves, like free 3~4 after d1+2 at wall and the 50/50 in open. Little things like that can help so much in general. I had Bode coming up to me saying that he's been using some of my Julia oki and it was working out for him :D

I need to work on better movement, it's probably the biggest flaw in my play. My backdash is pretty sloppy so I can get clipped by stuff at times and my throw breaking is pretty bad. So I can work on those for T7 and hopefully place really high.

I don't think experience matters so much, it's not how long you've been playing the game. It's what you do with the time. I've really grinded matchups and went out of my way to learn anti stuff and ask certain players who are strong with a particular char for sets to learn the matchup. It prob helps that I really love the game so labbing stuff isn't dull to me, especially when I find new stuff that no one does.

I remember watching those Malekith T6 videos, they pretty much inspired me to practice hours everyday.

I think you'll manage to do it man. I also think (if you haven't changed much the last year) you're correct about your strengths/weaknesses. The fact you realise that will go a long way.

Also yeah, if it doesn't feel like work to do it, especially lab stuff, how can one fail?

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Congrats Fergus! Delighted for you, way to rep us :)

(Don't forget to do some study)

• Advertisement

Omg senpai noticed me *_*

Also trying my hand in editing, this is my first vid with editing so there'll be some mistakes such as the audio >_>

Advertisement