Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choose a crew...

• 05-08-2015 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

So, the situation is you are tasked with selecting a command crew for a Starfleet ship that will be tasked with exploration, diplomacy, & defensive situations. You will choose a maximum of six crew members, from any of the five tv series (doesn't have to be starfleet crew either), & the positions are for captaincy, first officer, science officer, tactical/security officer, chief engineer, & chief medical officer. If possible, explain your reasoning for your choices, bearing the three scenarios the ship will find itself in, in mind.

My choices are:

The Captain - Perhaps controversially, I'll go with Riker here. I feel after seven years under the wing of the legend that is Picard, Riker has gained experience that very few can hope to match. His is a born explorer and diplomat, with just the right amount of attitude not to make him a walkover. He's a combat veteran too (Generations aside!), who would offer much in the way of defensive strategy. I chose him over Picard because I feel Jean Luc was running out of steam by the end of Nemesis, and has seen and done it all before. Picard looks ripe for promotion to Admiral, or perhaps even to move on to a Federation Ambassadorial role.

First Officer - There are several options here, but I'm going to go with Chakotay, which is again perhaps controversial. My reasoning for his is he's a very rounded officer, diplomatic, good natured, & also has good combat experience. I think over his seven years on Voyager, he matured into proper command material. I know some feel he's a bit of a pushover, but I don't see that - he stood up to Janeway several times when he knew he was right, & even at that, the situation on Voyager was very different to any other ship. A former Maquis standing up to a Starfleet Captain on her own ship takes guts.

Science Officer - Hard to look past Data here. He's exceptional, good natured, & is a huge benefit to any ship. I very nearly placed him as XO, but kept him here because while in command, Data takes on a very detached, sometimes cold persona. I know he doesn't mean to be this way, but I feel he's better in a science/ops role, despite being a very capable commander.

Tactical/Security Officer - I'll go with Tuvok here. He's proven very effective in this position on Voayger, & brings with him that Vulcan logic too. I actually feel Tuvok would make a good XO too, but for now, he's proven in the tactical role. I'd choose him over Worf because on occasion, I feel Worf is sometimes a bit too quick to jump into action & needs an ever so slight hand on his shoulder, to guide him.

Chief Engineer - The Chief, without a doubt. The man is brilliant, look what he turned the Defiant into, & even had DS9 purring like a kitten before long.

Chief Medical Officer - Bones for me, he has great bedside manner, is very down to earth, & an extremely competent doctor too.

So, who's up next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Can we demote people? I'd argue Martok might be good as a tactical officer or are to stick to the proper rankings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Tombi! wrote: »
    Can we demote people? I'd argue Martok might be good as a tactical officer or are to stick to the proper rankings?

Choose whoever you want, doesn't have to be Starfleet. Be good for discussion though if we can expand on our choices, bearing diplomacy, exploration & defence in mind...and the integration of our choices as a single crew (clashes etc) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Oh I am excited by this challenge. But I will need some time to consider my choices.
    I totally get what you are saying about Captain Picard. I think he was just battle weary by the end of Nemesis. He has been through so much, being stabbed in the heart by a Naussican, being assimilated, the whole "THERE ARE GOUR LIGHTS!!!" incident, and then Shinzon. Admiralty would look good on him. Head of the ambassador contingent at Star Fleet HQ.
    I will have to think carefully about my choices. Give me 24 hours to report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,186 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Why not Medical and Ops?

I'll suggest editing the rules, you can pick 5 from Captain, First Officer, Science, Medical, OPs, Engineering and Tactical. What you choose will reflect how you proceed/how well you do on the missions.

I'll follow your format though.

Captain - Captain Jean-Luc Picard. Diplomat, Leader, Warrior, Experienced. He's everything you look for in a Captain. Will always look to peacefully dissolve a situation but is not afraid to fight when necessary. Unflappable, any situation he can handle. Confident, Trustworthy.

First Officer - Commander Worf. I'm going with Worf here as I think he was an excellent XO on the Defiant and for Martok. Under the guidance of Picard he could further learn Command. Would keep the crew on their toes and provides the tactical experience needed.

Science - Lieutenant Commander Data. No explanations needed really. Beats Spock/Dax.

Chief Tactical Oficer - Odo. Who wouldn't want a shapeshifter as their security chief? Investigator by heart. Likes to establish a sense of order. Competent in handling starship controls as evident by his missions on the Defiant.

Chief Engineer - Miles O'Brien. Turned DS9, a mining station into a starbase that could fend of Klingon and Dominion fleets. Serving on the flagship as well as the Defiant he wold know his way around a ships warp core.

Ah here, if I can only pick 5 I have no room for a full senior staff.
    Im leaning towards a crew based on a medical and humanitarian mission - hospital ship during the Dominion War for example - or a science vessel. I dislike violence, yet I want to have a crew that can defend themselves.
    This is tough! I have a pen and paper here, trying to decide! LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,186 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Captain Janeway
    First Officer Kira Nerys
    Science Officer Seven of Nine
    Chief Engineer B'Elanna Torres
    Tactical Officer Ro Laren

Who would dare to piss them off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Captain: Picard
    First: Spock
    Science: Seven of Nine
    Chief Engineer: O'Brien
    Chief Medical: Bashir
    Helm: Data
    Tactical: Odo
    Counselor: Troi

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Odo is not a tactical officer, he's essentially a policeman (it is constable Odo after all) and they should be separate IMO. He'd be a terrible tactical officer, there's never any real indication of any ability to deal with large scale battles or even ships, but security, can't be beaten there.

Ro Laren! Wow! Hadn't even thought of her.
    I'm still mulling over my choices

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Why not Medical and Ops?

We'll add in a chief medical officer so, I'll update the op. With regard to Ops, I felt that's kind of encompassed in the science officer role, ala Data in TNG?

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    We'll add in a chief medical officer so, I'll update the op. With regard to Ops, I felt that's kind of encompassed in the science officer role, ala Data in TNG?

And Dax in ds9

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Captain Janeway
    First Officer Kira Nerys

They'd probably kill each other before anyone else :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Rawr

Just for fun:

Captain Worf - Because last time he had command of a ship, he was all "Prepare for ramming speed!"...his captaincy would be short....

First Officer Dukat - Because he'd keep Capt. Worf on his toes trying to betraying all of the friggin time.

Science Officer Spock - Because the science just sounds so much more interesting from him.

Chief Engineer Rom - Actually managed to keep Quark's bar operational with little/no resources. No surprise the Bajorans hired him as an Engineer.

Chief Medical Officer "The Borg" - They really seem to know a lot about replacing broken anatomy, with a whole load of free personal upgrades. Makes you wonder if there is some kind of horrendous catch.

Helm Officer Troi - Because she *nearly* got that crash landing right with the Enterprise-D. I think she should get another shot at the helm.

Tactical Officer - First Omet'iklan - Because this Jem'Hadar is almost *addicted* to victory in some way. Should be no bother shooting down enemy ships...but you gotta replace him after about 5-10 years with a new one.

Counselor Weyoun - Because he genuinely seems like a really good listener...before he proceeds to then order his Jem'Hadar to kill you.

Lol, it's like something from a mirror universe episode - brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

The Captain - Hikaru Sulu, because he's awesome!

First Officer - Malcolm Reed (i know he's a tac officer but i think his personality would keep Sulu from underestimating any potential threats

Science Officer - T-Pol - also awesome, in a flawed Vulcan kind of way

Tactical/Security Officer - Worf, Son of Mog - maybe Reed would back him up on occasion instead of the entire bridge crew consistently ignoring him.

Chief Engineer - Smiley O'Brien (the mirror universe one) profoundly more adept at fixing anything with anything, space Macgyver!

Chief Medical Officer The EMH Mk1 specifically from Voyager (with the mobile emitter)- because there will be casualties with this command structure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

The Captain - Sisko, because having time immune aliens on your side comes in handy - and he is an excellent tactician and motivator/disciplinarian, not to mention a fantastic diplomat. I would also argue he had a massive massive impact on the quadrant, not just SF.

First Officer - Worf - same as reasons above. Plus bonus points for Sisko/Worf reunion.

Science Officer - Data all the way.

Tactical/Security Officer - Tuvok - reasons already stated before - cool under pressure and vastly experienced

Chief Engineer - Scotty. He would find a way.

Chief Medical Officer - Bashir - bonus points for Jadzia not being present in the team, so less conflict between Worf and Julien.

They'd probably kill each other before anyone else :pac:

All female crew, could you imagine the bitching!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

SarahBM wrote: »
    All female crew, could you imagine the bitching!

but just think of the meals they could cook up and how tidy their quarters would be :P:P

but just think of the meals they could cook up and how tidy their quarters would be :P:P

Heli to Enterprise, emergency beam up!

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

Let's face facts here, the best doctor is clearly Seven.
    Literally tells you that you'll comply. I doubt you can get a more straight forward doctor than that.

I actually wonder how Garak would be as a commander. Assuming he wasn't being hunted/lying to everyone all the time. I think he'd actually do fairly well with someone like Riker as captain. Both of them would be okay with unorthodox solutions.

I want that one Klingon that jammed the device into Quark's ear when he was told to "hold it" as the nurse.

Now that I think more and more about it, Riker as captain and maybe a bunch of ragtag misfits would actually be okay. Riker seems like he'd actually take no disobedience from any officers under him.

So say:
    Captian: Riker
    Commander: Garak
    Engineer: Torres
    Tactical: Worf
    Science/OPs: Dax
    Doctor: EMH (with mobile emitter)
    Counsellor: Neelix (as in the person people go to talk to)
    Conn: Alexander

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Councilor Neelix would tell everyone about your woes on his crappy morning tv show - "Guess who's PREGNANT?... that's right Ensign Kim, you're gonna be a DAD! Oh crap i wasnt supposed to say that, Ahh who cares i know there's no Talaxian afterlife either, oh double crap i've depressed myself again.. Help me mister Vulcan, Naomi Wildman, anyone?!

Aside from him, awesome list :D

I think it'd be fairly interesting with Neelix as the one person who might actually get on well with Alexander.
    Considering that Dax, Riker (to an extent), Worf, Torres and Alexander all have different opinions on Klingons and how they should be I think it would create an interesting dynamic. Especially given that Garak would fit the role of how Riker used to be: in that he'd take the recommendations, give them to the captain then give his own recommendation.
    Worf would still be the faithful and dutiful Klingon, Torres loathes her Klingon side but still succumbs to it often, Alexander is only 1/3rd I think and seems to enjoy being more human with little interest except out of "honour" which seems to be what he inherited from Worf and Riker has had experience with a variety of "types" from the Duras Sisters to Worf to Captain Klagg.

I could actually possible see Torres and Alexander getting together. And you just know Dax and Neelix are going to get on well given she's pretty much a child at times.

I want to know how long it takes before Worf starts snapping necks and gives the *shrug* sorry to Riker he did when he smashed Geordi's instrument in the Robin Hood episode.

In the words of Captain Janeway "Lock phasers Mr Tuvok. FIRE!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Captain: Sisko
    XO: Data
    Security: Worf
    Tactical: Reid (he's actually one of my favourite characters out of anything)
    Ops: Dax
    Helm: Stadi

Engineering: La Forge
    Medical: Would almost say Bashir or new space adventure McCoy for the person he each is but have to go with The Doctor
    Transporter Chief: O'Brien :P
    Counsellor: Garak - he'd certainly be a very interesting alternative choice, gives great advice all through DS9, even if it is a bit left field for most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Captain: Myself

A cool reasoning intellect coupled with an unteachable, innate, air of leadership. Handsome, humble, decisive.

First Officer: Willard Decker

A lickspittle, ambitious enough to want to do most of the admin/work involved in running a ship / crew, in the hopes it would get him his own command. The tiresome stuff, I'd just have no appetite for. He just rolls over when demoted by Kirk, and serves on with ne'r a bad feeling.

Wouldn't kick off as much as Riker about doing crew reviews, or drag his feet on promotions till candidates died.

This would leave me free to Kirk my way about the galaxy.

Security/tactical: Sulu

Less inclined to go for the old "ramming speed / good day to die" than Worf, and I feel more creative, quicker than Tuvok.

Science Officer: Data

Efficient, talented, tireless.

Chief Engineer: 7 of 9

Given a free hand to modify / improve all systems with what she knows of Borg technology. Decker to smooth over an HR issues that might arise from her slightly abrasive manner and penchant for skintight lycra suits.

Chief Medical Officer: the lovely Beverly Crusher

Talented, ginger, lovely. need I say more.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Capitan: Archer
    First office :Chakotay
    Security/tactical: Anyone from section 31
    Science: Data
    Helm :Tom Paris
    Chief Engineer: O'Bien
    CMO : The Doctor

I'm not set on this but here is my first draft

Captain Janeway - a scientist, dedicated to her crew and a tough lady
    First Officer Colonel Kira - experience and wisdom that would prove invaluable if the ship was caught in a tight spot.
    Ops Commander Data - I think Data has a brilliant blend of intelligence and curiosity which I think make him perfect for the job. Handy on away missions too with his extra strength and the fact that he doesn't breathe
    Chief Engineer Chief O'Brien - what a ledge bag. His title "the chief" speaks for itself
    Helm Lt Tom Paris - I love a Flyboy.
    Tactical Officer Tuvok - the years of experience not only fighting enemies in the Alpha Q and the Borg definitely put Tuvok head and shoulders above the others I think. I like Worf but he has a temper.
    Chief Medical Officer The Doctor - he just rocks. I love the fact that he doesn't let the fact he is a hologram hold him back. Plus he doesn't require sleep or food and command functions can be transferred to his program if necessary

Bare in mind that I haven't seen Enterprise and TOS.
    I reserve the right to change my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Captain Janeway
    First Officer Kira Nerys

especially at that time of the month!!! :eek::eek::eek: :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Non ST Fictional Character crew for a starfleet crew:

The Captain - Ender Wiggan - Brilliant, natural leader, trained from a young age in strategy, and space piloting. Charismatic genius, a polymath. Ability to empathise, and communicate with almost any intelligent creature on their own terms.

First Officer - Ace Rimmer

Heroic, Dashing. Flair. The Perfect foil for the calculating Wiggan. Sure to be involved in all sorts of adventures.

Science Officer - Hank "Beast" McCoy

A polymath. DaVinci level genius. Seemingly able to make sense of any of the myriad of phenomena that the x-men encounter on a seemingly weekly basis, and all that without anything as crude as a tricorder or spaceship.

Be a great man for an away team, no worries at all sending him onto any hostile environments to get some data.

Tactical/Security Officer - T800 (model 101) Almost indestructible. Incredible reflexes. Strong. Intimidating.

Have a look at his work with the chain gun in terminator 2 and imagine how good he'd be targeting torpedoes and phasers.

Chief Engineer - Dr. Emmet Brown

Managed to fashion a time machine out of 1980's Earth tech. I can only imagine what he could do let loose on a SF Ship.

Chief Medical Officer - Nynaeve Al'Meara

Supernatural ability to heal almost anything short of death.

Advertisement