Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you call Christmas?

• 01-08-2015 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,020 ✭✭✭✭

I always call it Christmas. Be it in writing or conversation.
    I don't mind somebody writing X-mas on a small gift tag/card however the one world that I can't stand is Chrimbo.

What do you call Christmas? 66 votes

Christmas.
    0% 0 votes
    Xmas
    95% 63 votes
    Chrimbo.
    3% 2 votes
    Holidays.
    1% 1 vote
    Other.
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Winter Solstice.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I call it Christmas. I rarely shorten it to Xmas and I hate it when people refer it to the holidays. Ah no my holidays are usually during the summer. The word Christ does not offend me nor does any other religious name or type.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭washiskin

I always say Christmas. For some reason Xmas really grates on me.
    As for "The Holidays" political correctness :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I hate Xmas and Chrimbo!

Don't mind the holidays so much because presumably it serves a purpose when you're greeting a bunch of people who celebrate different holidays. Obviously not a fan of it being used at times when Christmas is more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

It's Christmas for me, I don't really mind x-mas.
    The holidays really bugs me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Always Christmas. "Crimbo" is a horrible word and "the holidays" is ridiculous.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I always call it Christmas. :)

I don't like 'xmas' but would occasionally use it in a text message because everything is abbreviated in texts. I have edited thread titles here to make 'xmas' 'Christmas' because it grates on me. :o

I do not specifically mind the expression 'the holiday season' because it reminds me of the Budweiser Christmas ad with the horses in the snow and the famous CocaCola ad! But I don't think anybody should call it 'holidays' unless they're American.

Chrimbo is just awful. I hate that song 'Proper Crimbo' by Bo Selecta. Uuuuurgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭washiskin

When I hear people utter crimbo, I swear I have to stop myself administering slaps. :mad:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

washiskin wrote: »
    When I hear people utter crimbo, I swear I have to stop myself administering slaps. :mad:;)

Love this answer ! :D

I don't mean to be offensive here but I thought it was an American thing to refer to christmas as the holidays. As for crimbo I have never in my life heard a single person refer to christmas as crimbo ! Do people actually say that !?! Although I have been known to shorten the name to Xmas when I'm writing a quick list or text if I'm in a hurry! Oops ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

That's weird, I don't mind when people use any expression, it's never occurred to me before. I guess I must be really really really nice and easygoing. Hope I haven't been offending any of you in real life using Xmas on your presents!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

Glitzgirl wrote:
    I don't mean to be offensive here but I thought it was an American thing to refer to christmas as the holidays. As for crimbo I have never in my life heard a single person refer to christmas as crimbo ! Do people actually say that !?! Although I have been known to shorten the name to Xmas when I'm writing a quick list or text if I'm in a hurry! Oops !

My brother's a nightmare for referring to it as 'crimbo', entirely due to that God-awful song of course. I've never heard it used here in Ireland though. Having said that, beyond my brother and a friend from years back, it's not something I've heard used too much. It's always just been Christmas to me. Like most of you here, the only one that actually bugs me is 'The Holidays'.

scream wrote: »
    My brother's a nightmare for referring to it as 'crimbo', entirely due to that God-awful song of course. I've never heard it used here in Ireland though. Having said that, beyond my brother and a friend from years back, it's not something I've heard used too much. It's always just been Christmas to me. Like most of you here, the only one that actually bugs me is 'The Holidays'.

I have to say I noticed that when I was in new York last year. People at tills and waitresses etc would all say happy holidays or if I said merry Christmas you would just get this look like and a happy holidays reply ! Drove me nuts! I think if I ever heard anyone saying crimbo my mouth would possibly drop open in shock ha !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

We say Happy Christmas in this house, but "Merry Christmas" is creeping in and I hate it!

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    I have to say I noticed that when I was in new York last year. People at tills and waitresses etc would all say happy holidays or if I said merry Christmas you would just get this look like and a happy holidays reply ! Drove me nuts! I think if I ever heard anyone saying crimbo my mouth would possibly drop open in shock ha !

But I suppose it makes perfect sense over there. Over here most people celebrate Christmas so it's fair enough they we say merry Christmas, but in America the population is so much more diverse and the person at the till doesn't know what the person they're serving celebrates. It's an appropriate term for such a diverse country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Saturnalia, a winter solstice festival that the christian cult stole and made their own.

But I suppose it makes perfect sense over there. Over here most people celebrate Christmas so it's fair enough they we say merry Christmas, but in America the population is so much more diverse and the person at the till doesn't know what the person they're serving celebrates. It's an appropriate term for such a diverse country.

Agreed. But when your not used to hearing it it just sounds odd !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I love the inclusiveness of Happy Holidays!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

galljga1 wrote:
    Saturnalia, a winter solstice festival that the christian cult stole and made their own.

I used to play a great PbP game called Saturnalia, and when I say PbP I really mean PbP. I used to actually have to post it, you know, in an actual envelope and everything. I recently found it again online. Couldn't believe it still exists. Anyway, this has nothing at all to do with the topic in hand so...

As you were then!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭acon2119

I dont like the word Crimbo at all. I also dislike St Patricks day being referred to as Paddy's day, I think it degrades our unique Irish day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Don't mind Xmas too much but crimbo does my head in. My brother in law always says it just to see me grind my teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Greedfest

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Greedfest

Hey dark Phantom posts like this aren't allowed here, this is a happy forum, take a day off and have a read of our charter! Thanks
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

But if they don't have a religion what exactly are they celebrating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Don't know if it's used anywhere else in Ireland but it's commonly referred to as "The Christmas" in Cork - makes me lol and cringe in equal measure :D

northgirl wrote: »
    Don't know if it's used anywhere else in Ireland but it's commonly referred to as "The Christmas" in Cork - makes me lol and cringe in equal measure :D

I've never heard of that one before haha! It's like an Irish Mammy thing to do, my Mam puts The infront of everything, The Facebook, The Youtube haha.

northgirl wrote: »
    I'm living in Cork all my life and never heard of it called the Christmas.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    But if they don't have a religion what exactly are they celebrating?

I didn't mention people who don't have a religion. :)

I didn't mention people who don't have a religion. :)
    but in America the population is so much more diverse and the person at the till doesn't know what the person they're serving celebrates.

So they are all celebrating religion? Why is the person at the till confused then?

Sam Kade wrote: »
    but in America the population is so much more diverse and the person at the till doesn't know what the person they're serving celebrates.

So they are all celebrating religion? Why is the person at the till confused then?
    Maybe the person is celebrating Hanukkah? Or Kwanzaa? Happy Holidays means that everyone is included. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Loughc wrote: »
    I've never heard of that one before haha! It's like an Irish Mammy thing to do, my Mam puts The infront of everything, The Facebook, The Youtube haha.

Ha ha, my mam calls anything she knows very little about (ie. the internet or her iPad) a diddly aye!

Advertisement