Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Movie Club #10 - A Christmas Story (1983)

Options
  • 29-07-2015 6:36pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Plot:
    A Christmas Story is about a family living in a small town in the 1940's. The elder son, Ralphie (Peter Billingsley) wants to have a perfect Christmas containing the perfect gift, a Red Ryder carbon action BB gun.

Trailer:

Fun fact:
    In 2005 the original house used for the exterior shots of the family home was bought by an avid fan of the movie, Brian Jones for $150,000. Jones spent a year restoring the home to the way it looked in the film and in late 2006, it opened its doors as a tourist attraction.

Where to find it:
    YouTube: €2.99
    iTunes: €3.99

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Woo hoo!! One of my all time favourite films! :pac:
    l showed it to my brother when he was 9 and it became his Christmas No.1

Peter Bilingsley perfectly plays a kid in the grip of Christmas fever over the toy gun he so badly wants. He has to run the gamut of a disapproving Mum and every otther adult, including a Dept. Store Santa, telling him he'll shoot his eye out. The pressure to have his wish come true is relentless and is not helped by the daily dodging the neighbourhood bullies, surely Ralphie can't last until the big day?

It's a genuine mix of 40s nostalgia, homespun storytelling and the kind of Christmas we all daydream about, but perhaps not including the Bumpus hounds :)

It's my "first day of Christmas FM" movie.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'd never even heard of it until it was suggested on the movie thread!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    I'd never even heard of it until it was suggested on the movie thread!!

I've heard of it but never seen it. It looks very American haha.

Loughc wrote: »
    I've heard of it but never seen it. It looks very American haha.

Your mission, should you chose to accept it....... ;)
    It's not a saccharine dipped y'all come back now, y'hear film, Loughie, none of the kids are irritating and the mom and dad characters are really well written. It really is great fun. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I've never seen this one either! I'm so behind at this stage, as soon as I have a free weekend I'm going to have to binge watch all these Christmas films to catch up (not that I'm complaining though :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭shelly22

This is one of my favourite Christmas movies. Can't wait to watch it again this year

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I've never heard of this one. I think I've caught up on all the other films so this one is on the agenda for the weekend!

Ah lads you can get Hallmark ornaments of A Christmas Story on ebay!! :eek::eek:

At the risk of becoming a total bore about the film..... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Love this movie. Our parents brought us to in in the Adelphi when it came out & have loved it ever since.

Incidentally, there's a "Christmas Story 2". Just don't.

Peter Billingsly is in Elf (all growed up).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

This was one of the first movies we rented when we got our first VCR! The one bit I remember was when the kid stuck his tongue to the frozen pole. Maybe because my younger sister did it with the ice box in the freezer a few days later! Lol
    I never saw that movie on TV in ireland that I can remember, I downloaded it myself a few years ago, love it.

Advertisement