Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Perlenbacher Now Brewed in France.

• 18-07-2015 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

It used to come in brown bottles, which were brewed in Germany.
    Now comes in green bottles, brewed in France (Brasserie Champigneulles SA, owned by German company TCB Beverages )

The brown bottle proclaimed it adhered to the German Reinheitsgebot 1516 Purity Law, the green bottle doesn't mention the Reinheitsgebot.

Someone on the Lidl UK community site said the Lidl CS replied to his query:
    Our Quality Assurance Team confirm that the beer is no longer made in Germany
    Also, the new bottles didn't get good reviews on that site.

Link

DOak8xB.jpg

Not the greatest beer in the world but a step up from the usual brands.
    Boards.ie users always had good things to say about it.
    Whenever it came up on offer, many posters would say they were going to stock up.
    Some might say it's the end of an era!

There are still some XXL boxes left (8 for the price of 6) and these are German brewed -
    Elaboré en allemagne / Geproduceerd in Duitsland is printed on the back label.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

in lidl france its changed to perlembourg. the taste might be even a bit more hop bite to it. i enjoyed it.. 4.29 a 6 pack in lidl france missed xxl promo by a week

• Registered Users Posts: 14,708 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Berliner lager in aldi is fairly decent. Can't remember the price but it's cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭laros

Berliner lager in aldi

Is it Berliner Kindl...? €1.49 a bottle , they don't stock it in my local aldi anymore... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I had some a week ago which was called "Rheinbacher", assumed it was an imitation? Perhaps an Aldi clone? Came in a brown bottle and tasted just like Perlenbacher, wouldn't even have noticed the name if I wasn't trying to discern it from someone else's beer in a house party fridge!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭donaghs

Rheinbacher is the Aldi one, fairly similar to the original Perlenbacher.

I had the brown bottle German Perlenbacher in the XXL box last weekend. Decent enough Pilsner for that price. This weekend I saw the green bottle so bought it out of curiosity. Didn't like it as much as I have to say. It had a stronger sweetish "musty" flavour from it. Even chilling close to freezing in the freezer (always handy trick for cheap lager) couldnt really reduce much those off-notes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Prefer the Perlenbacher to the Rhinebacher myself though I had noticed a difference since they went to green bottles. Still though a pilsner at 4.9% for €7.79 for 6x500ml is a bargain. I cant stand drinking anything less than 4.8% at this stage and 5% and over beers can often be pricey lately

Had an Aldi Rheinbacher last weekend. Not a bad pilsner, and still tastes like old version Lidl Perlenbacher. I'll be drinking this instead now if I want a cheap pilsner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Was that Perlenbacher originally brewed in Germany though? Whenever I looked at the labels it always said it was brewed in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Pity, Perlenbacher was a very decent beer for the price. Will just a have to stock up on Fraziskaner when it's on offer now :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Lidl still have 330ml bottles of Perlenbacher (6 x330 @ €4.99, green bottles) which state that they are brewed under the Reinheitsgebot, but not where they are brewed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

laros wrote: »
    Is it Berliner Kindl...? €1.49 a bottle , they don't stock it in my local aldi anymore... :(

Loved this stuff, sadly seems to have disappeared from my Aldi also.

This post has been deleted.

Got a box last night and they are the brown bottles brewed under Reinheitsgebot. It's not really clear where they're brewed, there is a German Lidl address on the label but it doesn't say if they're actually brewed there or not.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Got a box last night and they are the brown bottles brewed under Reinheitsgebot. It's not really clear where they're brewed, there is a German Lidl address on the label but it doesn't say if they're actually brewed there or not.

Still taste the same? i.e. clean Pilsner taste, not too sweet, or other "off" flavours.

donaghs wrote: »
    Still taste the same? i.e. clean Pilsner taste, not too sweet, or other "off" flavours.

I don't think it's the same brew, there is a slight off taste on the first few sips. It's in the brown bottles but to me it tastes like what's in the green bottles

Really? Had some brown ones there and it was the old taste for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

have one now .. similar if not same / still nice

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Luis21

It tastes great but by God the hangover isnt worth it.

Advertisement