Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Life is Strange

• 09-01-2015 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭

Didn't find a thread on this one, it's been given a release date of Jan. 30th for the 1st episode.

I really enjoyed their first game which was Remember Me.

This looks very interesting indeed, been in development since 2013 I think so hopefully shouldn't be as bad as the wait between episodes as the walking dead games etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I read that the publishers requested the main characters to be changed to males :pac:

Looks interesting, will be keeping an eye on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

This drops this week. Only heard about it recently but I do love these story driven games but I do worry how the time manipulation will be handled.

Thankfully unlike most developlers nowadays they are also releasing a trial/demo this week.

Eurogamer played through it if anyone wants to see actual gameplay (I haven't watched it as I want to try it myself).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

So did anyone else pick this up ?

I have mixed feelings about it. It's certainly more of a game than the telltales ones. Also the actions from what I've seen so far do actually feel like they have consequences.

Music is great , they got some licensed tracks from some indie artists. The Sparklehorse track was a treat !!!

The story??? I was expecting it to be more weird which it actually isn't all bar a few details. The game is very slow paced and for a first episode I felt not enough was given away, there was no huge hook that made me say I can't wait for the second one. It's interesting, there are several threads to it with several characters having something you want to find out more about.

The time mechanic is not as big as I was expecting either. It's more a tool to reverse decisions and solve puzzles.

I'll give it another run later and do a few things differently to see how they pan out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Ya I'm gonna pick it up next week,looks interesting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It's from the "Remember Me" devs?

Definitely picking it up so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I really liked Remember Me but I found the combat too hard. Could not get very far into the game at all. Same as the Batman games combat style, I just can't get anyway decent at it. Shame as I'd love to finish it. Loved the setting, tone and art style.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

hjwbxj.jpg

Hmmm...

I played through ep 1 again my feelings haven't changed either they are saving the big bits for later or their are none.

My initial feeling of it's a game that didn't need to be broken up and should be played as a whole very much remains. We'll see what episode 2 brings but I have a feeling I'm 100% on this that it's better than the sum of it's parts.

That opens the door to the question of do games that go the episodic route get an easier time of it in terms of criticism than if they were put out as a whole ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

There is a demo of this on PSN. Will give it a go today.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is episode 2 out this week?

• Advertisement

Is episode 2 out this week?

Today I believe, hopefully it delivers more. I was lukewarm after the 1st one.

Today in the u.s and Europe Wednesday?

Today in the u.s and Europe Wednesday?

Not sure how the PS store updates, and the 1st one came out on a friday for Xbox .... I'm guessing wednesday as game of thrones is out then too.

Played episode 2 last night, meh I wasn't impressed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Played the demo and didn't enjoy it at all...

Maybe if I was a 12 year old girl I might see it differently...

Episode 3 is out next Tuesday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,090 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Played through episodes two and three over the last few days. It's still walking a line between nuance character based storytelling and sci-fi melodrama that doesn't always work, but it's definitely emerged as one of the fascinating experiments I've come across in a while.

I think it gets a lot of what I've felt other episodic, story-driven games have missed. The pacing is dead on, the episodes just the right length and not full of busywork. The dialogue too, while a bit wooden from time to time, also flows well, so conversations feel natural (and even convincingly awkward - appropriate for teenagers) rather than characters reciting exposition at each other. The spaces are always interesting to explore, full of detail and little things can impact on both character-building and potentially the wider narrative too. While the game is clearly authored with plenty of cutscenes, there's more than enough interaction - some quite meaningful - to keep the player involved as opposed to just watching.

Many of the characters are painted in pretty broad, sometimes stereotypical strokes (a few villainous characters in particular, although wouldn't be at all surprised if there were a few surprises there later). And as said, while I for the most part like the 'rewind' mechanic (much more convincingly implemented than it was in Remember Me), the sci-fi aspects do threaten to get in the way when the game excels in quieter, more nuanced moments. Fascinated to see where they go after
    episode three's ending though, which could either be audacious or misguided depending on what comes next

More than anything it has a confidence of direction that is rather atypical for video games. The music cues are the best example of that: I've come across only a handful of moments in games that use existing music to powerful dramatic effect (something like crossing into Mexico in Red Dead is one of the few I can think of off the top of my head). Here there are several per episode: musical moments that really enhance the mood of a particular scene. Add to that smart art design, camera angles and character art, and you have a game that just goes to show how many games put very little thought into all aspects of their total aesthetic identity.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I got this on the Steam sale. Very good so far. Much more intruiging than Telltale's stuff anyway.

The over all story is one I'm reserving judgement on until the end, not fair to call it at this point I feel.

I love the little things you can do to affect things along the way , I was really surprised with the amount of things I missed at the end of episode 3 based on the summery.

Also choices really do seem to matter, they do a much better job than tell tale have so far in that regard. Like in episode 2 you can BIG SPOILER
    save or let Kate die
    . but also smaller ones have had an effect on my game too. Feels far less like you are just along for the ride and more of a game than the tell tale titles maybe.

Only found out when I saw an interview at E3 that it's Ashley Burch playing Chloe.

Any game that has a Sparklehorse song is a good one imo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

This worth the €16 PSN dale price?
    Bought episode 1 after playing the demo but my dualshock is acting up so can't play. I like telltales style adventure games so am looking for something easy to play

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Looks like episode 4 has been pushed back again :(

And yes its definitely worth the €16

wW7opG9.png

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

How many episodes will there be in the end?

Links234 wrote: »
    How many episodes will there be in the end?

5 for this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Picked it up during the PSN sale and just finished off the third episode.

So far I'm really loving the game but I'm definitely a little concerned after the ending to Episode 3 just because I've never been a major fan of time travel and there was a pretty significant alteration in that ending. Hopefully they pull it off as in the moment itself, it's an excellent experience.

Also loving the soundtrack. It's perfect for the game both the songs and composed music. Episode 3 started and ended so well.

All I'm hoping for now is that the final episode does come out before I head off travelling! This delay for episode 4 has made me a little worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Hmm yeah I am just at the same moment. Enjoying it but that episode ending is like them hitting the reset button.
    Saving Chloe's dad was nice but after I don't see how it was relevant to the story after Chloe threw a hissy fit. Step douche is a bus driver, your in with the Vortex club, Hayden is no longer a close friend and Chloe is paralysed in a wheelchair. O_O

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Episode 4 out July 28th

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Awesome.. saw the update yesterday and thought it'd be out soon. I don't think I'll watch that trailer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement

'release is only 4 days away'
    me-

giphy.gif

eMs5R8Q.gif

tumblr_nlpn8wCBrm1qds1dho1_500.gif

Advertisement