Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BCMS Commencement notice.

• 22-07-2015 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭

Hi. Building a garage myself at the moment and forget to do the notice of commencement notice.

Any advice one what to do. Roof started.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi. Building a garage myself at the moment and forget to do the notice of commencement notice.

Any advice one what to do. Roof started.

Employ a good solicitor. You need legal advice here as there is no retrospective way to comply with the Building Control Act with regards to a Commencement Notice.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

What size garage? It may not have to comply with building regs so can be completely exempt from building control.

Also, garages aren't covered in bcars So as far as I know you can still complete the 'short form' commencement notice by hand and hand into your local authority, if the size is not exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

sydthebeat wrote: »
    What size garage? It may not have to comply with building regs so can be completely exempt from building control.

Also, garages aren't covered in bcars So as far as I know you can still complete the 'short form' commencement notice by hand and hand into your local authority, if the size is not exempt.

6m x 9m

Over the exmpted size.

See if your local authority has hard copy short form commencement notice and if they accept them over the counter.

Over the exmpted size.

See if your local authority has hard copy short form commencement notice and if they accept them over the counter.

But the OP is at roof level, how can he give 14 days notice of commencement of works?

Also, DCC have ceased accepting short forms over the counter now afaik

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

kceire wrote: »
    But the OP is at roof level, how can he give 14 days notice of commencement of works?

Also, DCC have ceased accepting short forms over the counter now afaik

Better late than never?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

BryanF wrote: »
    Better late than never?

If the LA suspect works are started they will not accept a CN

I'm in county limerick. Out in the country side, would it be worth giving my councillor a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I'm in county limerick. Out in the country side, would it be worth giving my councillor a call.

Not unless s/he is also the Building Control Officer......

BryanF wrote: »
    Better late than never?

Always worth a shot :)

True.

Your councillor cannot over rule the Building Control Act.

I'd run with BryanF's post and make the lodgement.
    If it was 'another LA', you may have got a sympathetic BCO who you could talk to but Limerick is a long way away I'm afraid!

• Advertisement

Always worth a shot :)

True.

Your councillor cannot over rule the Building Control Act.

I'd run with BryanF's post and make the lodgement.
    If it was 'another LA', you may have got a sympathetic BCO who you could talk to but Limerick is a long way away I'm afraid!

Are the BCO based locally ? Could i talk directly or should I just submit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

Could i talk directly or should I just submit it.

If you simply lodge it and hope for the best i.e. that the CN is processed and you obtain a CN number then you have a result.

If you you speak to a BCO , well that is like asking a Gard if it is ok by him for you to drive home drunk.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Lodge it and shut your eyes for 14 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Troy2013

You can't legally rectify the problem with the commencement notice. But, if you lodge it a.s.a.p. and it's accepted then no-one will really question the timeline in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭893bet

If you lodge and there is a council contribution to be paid, pay it immediately! Don't draw any negative attention. Chances are it will sale through.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

If you simply lodge it and hope for the best i.e. that the CN is processed and you obtain a CN number then you have a result.

I'd agree with the above.
    If you you speak to a BCO , well that is like asking a Gard if it is ok by him for you to drive home drunk.....

I'd agree with the above too. If you ask/discuss, you are not going to get the answer you want! All you will be told is that the CN should have been lodged prior to work starting and that it will not be accepted now.

Is it still no more then 14 days no less the 28 to start project?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Is it still no more then 14 days no less the 28 to start project?

Yes.

Schedule of plans,
    Calculations,
    Specifications and particulars

Inspection plan,
    Inspection notification framework.

I need one from each column to finalise things. Are they official documents or can I put them together.

Schedule of plans,
    Calculations,
    Specifications and particulars

Inspection plan,
    Inspection notification framework.

I need one from each column to finalise things. Are they official documents or can I put them together.

Your Assigned Certifer will have to put these items together. Assuming it's over 40 Sq. M then the assigned Certifer has to be a Chartered Engineer, Registered Architect or Charetred Building Surveyor.

Have you appointed an Assigned Certifier and Design Certifer?

• Advertisement

No. I'm building it myself. No one else involved. I did the plans myself.

No. I'm building it myself. No one else involved. I did the plans myself.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but you are aware of the Building Control Amendment Regulations introduced March 1st 2014?

You need to appoint an AC.

You are building a garage (I'm assuming a domestic garage)

You do not need to submit any of that list of information you have above, not do you need to engage an assigned certifier etc.

You need to fill out the "short form" commencement notice.

You are building a garage (I'm assuming a domestic garage)

You do not need to submit any of that list of information you have above, not do you need to engage an assigned certifier etc.

You need to fill out the "short form" commencement notice.

I just completely overlooked this. I just seen 9x6 and thought extension.

OP, is the garage connected to the house or stand alone?

I just completely overlooked this. I just seen 9x6 and thought extension.

OP, is the garage connected to the house or stand alone?

Stand alone guys.

Is the short form to be completed online?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Stand alone guys.

Ring the local authority building control dept they will direct you to the short form or email you a copy

Stand alone guys.

Yes, go to www.localgov.ie
    BCMS Section

You may need to download some forms, sign them and rescan them back into the BCMS system.

Yes, go to www.localgov.ie
    BCMS Section

You may need to download some forms, sign them and rescan them back into the BCMS system.

Yes that's what I have done but for the last section I need what I posted above.
    Not sure but I don't think you need this in the short notice.

Yes that's what I have done but for the last section I need what I posted above.
    Not sure but I don't think you need this in the short notice.

Short notice requires no additional forms.

If you want to
    Pm me the submission number i'll check it out for you and see whats outstanding.

• Advertisement

Is this the commencement notice I need, "Commencement notice without Documentation"

Advertisement