Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic car transport - Spain to Ireland?

• 17-07-2015 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Just bought a classic car in Spain. Anyone with personal advice on a company/transporter to land the car home in one piece.

I've searched here on boards and found nothing so far..

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Tazio wrote: »
    Hi all

Just bought a classic car in Spain. Anyone with personal advice on a company/transporter to land the car home in one piece.

I've searched here on boards and found nothing so far..

Thanks in advance

Is it driving / roadworthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Tazio

It is; she's perfectly roadworthy and yes it would be a great road trip to drive back but it's currently unregistered.

It will need to be trailer-ed back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭w124man

Fly down to Spain with a set of plates in your suitcase!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

Not Recommended, the Spanish Police are not very understanding!! You could get it delivered to the U.K. and then forwarded to Ireland. Do you have the relevant paperwork to clear it here when it arrived? For that matter, if you got it delivered to a Spanish Port that has a direct sailing to Ireland. I seem to recall that there is/was a ferry sailing from Dublin to the North of Spain.

w124man wrote:
    Fly down to Spain with a set of plates in your suitcase!

This did cross my mind! Ha ha ha.. but no I'd prefer to be all official.
    mattroche wrote:
    You could get it delivered to the U.K. and then forwarded to Ireland. Do you have the relevant paperwork to clear it here when it arrived? For that matter, if you got it delivered to a Spanish Port that has a direct sailing to Ireland. I seem to recall that there is/was a ferry sailing from Dublin to the North of Spain.

Thanks. Yes all paperwork is good to go. It took some time!. I'm looking to see if the dealership has a shipping container loading dock.. that's certainly one way. Then I'd be happy to fly here to watch the car depart..

Also getting quotes on Shiply.com. but there is the trust thing there.. got a few UK based quotes there. That website works like eBay with the rating system..

Finally getting quotes for jeep/transporter hire.. might just bite the bullet and go for it.

My preference would be for a professional company to take care of it. Hopefully I'll find some local driver/company. I was hoping someone on the Classic Cars section personally knew someone or could recommend a company.

Thanks again. I'll keep ye informed. Looking forward to having the 81C versus ZV reg problem.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭carlosfandango

@tazio, when you say it's 'unregistered' do you mean that it's not possible to be on Spanish roads as the Spanish number has been surrendered?

I've done this drive (both ways) and its fantastic. I think it's an opportunity to start a great 'journey' with your new classic. I know what I'd be doing :-)

Whatever happens, good luck with your new classic.

CFD

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

mattroche wrote: »
    I seem to recall that there is/was a ferry sailing from Dublin to the North of Spain.

Was. Indirectly from Rosslare to St Nazaire (France) to Gijon (Spain)

The route was cancelled at the end of last summer because European subsidies were withdrawn. The ship then moved to the Med and burnt out last Christmas, with the loss of 12 lives :(

305145.jpg

@tazio, when you say it's 'unregistered' do you mean that it's not possible to be on Spanish roads as the Spanish number has been surrendered?

Yes car was driven in Italy / Spain then Germany.. it was restored in Spain and never 're registered. There is no plate on the car. If I was to wait there is a 3/4 month process followed by a registration fee proportional to the value of the car in Spain (sound familiar?!!).. So right now I own the car outright but it's not road legal in Spain etc.
    unkel wrote:
    The route was cancelled at the end of last summer because European subsidies were withdrawn. The ship then moved to the Med and burnt out last Christmas, with the loss of 12 lives

Ouch.. not a nice story.
    I heard today there was a container route from Valencia to Cork/Dublin so just trying to get details..

Thanks for the replies guys.. this is a new to me....

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭WDB123

santander to portsmouth
    anyone will pick it up then

what make is it, value,i could trade plate it home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

If you get it in a container it will be shipped anywhere in the world, there is no one specific "container route".

You could also get prices to Cherbourg and just drive it onto the ferry.

If you live in Spain, or know somebody there you might find a local with a small car transporter/trailer/breakdown truck to take it to Cherbourg for cash.

I know the ADAC in Germany transport broken down cars from Spain & Portugal back to Germany, so maybe ring the AA or RAC here or in the UK to see if they offer a similar service.

Remember, if the car gets to the UK you have a similar problem getting it back from the UK to here.

I think the best option is a container, if not then just get it to Cherbourg and go and get it there or send someone else to pick it up there and drive it on the ferry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

What about a temporary plate? I know the Spanish do a P plate, it's green and allows the car to be driven if it doesn't (yet) have a proper registration. Might be worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭gctest50

they might give it to you for the weekend :)

Thanks again for the posts & offer!

I'm just kind of thinking I'll just go ahead pick it up myself at this stage in the form of transporter hire. It looks doable in a 3 / 4 day trip should sort it.

BTW she's an Alfa Romeo Alfetta GTV...

thanks again,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭skibum

There is a guy on www.autostadt.ie who brought in a ford serria from Madrid:
    http://www.autostadt.ie/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=178&t=13857&start=18

Looks like he used these guys to get it to the uk and got it collected on a trailer from there.
    https://www.cartranspain.com/portal/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

Ring greentiger or any of the big new vehicle transport companies for a quote, they move thousands of cars all round Europe inc vintage .+353 1 419 0390

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭philgunn

are you in a hurry to get the car back , I do that kind of work but booked up until end of sept , I saw your advert on shiply a few times . Phil

ps just brought a Panhard back from behind Geniva a few weeks ago

Phil

Thanks Phil..

Not a huge rush.. but would like to get it here within a few weeks..

Thanks

philgunn wrote:
    are you in a hurry to get the car back , I do that kind of work but booked up until end of sept , I saw your advert on shiply a few times . Phil

Hello again Phil.. tried to send you a pm but can't.. can you pm me with a contact email please??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Tazio

a 15 metre artic would expect to get 3500 euros home from Spain. your car takes half that space so 1700 to 2,000.

if the car is in an out of the way place ,hauliers would have less interest

in the month of August return trade is not so good, so hauliers might be keen

I dont know much but I see temporary plates all over europe, for time limited one way journeys, surely spain has such a system. if this were so, depending on where your car is, there are several long boats, e.g. santander to the uk, rather than put thousands of unneeded miles on your baby.

if twere me, any set of plates,and INSURANCE, i'd be on Ryanair, in sept.one way ex cherbourg 99 euro ( I think)

you mentioned that you had considered a trip out with a trailer, this time of year, eight days and 3 k Euro i would guess

Regards

Well thanks to Philgunn here on boards here who brought my car back from Spain. An absolute pleasure to deal with and it was great to have eyes on the ground when buying etc.

Thanks to all too for replies and suggestions. Much appreciated.

VRT booked awaiting the 2 meter long reg plate....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Dr Dave

REAlly thinking of doing this myself, but for the journey not necessarily to get a car.

Will also be happy to have a classic to boot, but it is the journey I'm primarily interested in.

Did you pick up any info you can share? Things can be complicated enough with the Spanish system.

It's not too bad when Google is translating for me automatically, but face to face I'm in trouble :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭w124man

Emmm ... 6 year old thread!

wow it was 6 years ago ! Time flies. :)

Personally I'm glad I didn't make the trip in the new classic all those years ago as she would have stopped after ~ 50 kms. I spent 12 months replacing stuff and getting an NCT. But she's been flying it since after the graft. If you have a car in mind that is capable for the journey then go for it! Or are you planning on a jeep & trailer?

My car came unregistered but with a ton of supporting paperwork - the fact the car did not have a reg plate meant I could not drive legally in Spain (or any country on way home). I cannot remember the reason she was unregistered - I'd have to find the old paperwork on this car. The last owner was a collector and may have had some garage plates??

Either way - if you're going for the trip enjoy it !

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Phil Gunn is a very trustworthy guy. I've used him twice and he's well respected in biking circles.

Advertisement