Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stronglifts 5x5 Video Log

• 11-06-2015 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

So I have set up a YouTube channel in order to document my journey with 5x5. I am an average lad of 20 years. 15 or so stone and sick of being average. I hope to go far with this channel and will update this when a new video is posted and will put up my numbers too.
    I hope a few of ye stick around and subscribe and maybe join in on the journey too.
    Here's a link to the channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-Sh6H6--vox25HzcykJ20g

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Looks good. Keep it up. I'd be very interested in how you cope with football and the gym in a few months. I'd mention the football more and show your lifts whenever you get a chance or the gym is empty. The channel could be an important point of reference for lots of Irish lads. The jackeens have all sorts of choices when it comes to choice of gyms and recreation, whereas most lads from the country have GAA and the club's gym. Genuinely looking forward to this and hoping you do well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Thanks for the support!
    At the moment seeing as I am just beginning I am a little nervous to be bringing in the camera and recording myself when there are other people in the gym!
    But I see the angle you are coming from and agree that it is actually a good concept because I was one of those lads too!

I know whatyoumean, I couldn't set up a camera or phone in plain view in the club gym, but if there's no one about or you had somewhere to discreetly put the phone for something like deadlifts. It would help your own form too, if advise was needed, as you said in one of your first videos, 'form above all else'! I'm from a village in Cavan that's smaller than Waterville with a worse club gym so I know the craic! Anyway, keep her lit.

Thanks for that and for the sub also!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Couple of things I just thought I'd mention.

Think about who you're aiming it at. Things like explaining Stronglifts when you bring up that it's the workout you're doing; when you mention who you'd follow on Youtube, a one-liner on who they are and why you follow them/what you get out of it....that kind of thing. Just give a little more on certain things to do with fitness and nutrition that might be of interest to people watching.

Also...kgs. Most will use kilo plates rather than pound plates and kg numbers mean more to people.

Also, a bit more on the cooking side. Even just like where you had the sweet potato and pepper prepped, maybe a minute on what you do. People love that (conzy's videos are worth looking at for those).

Over time, you might have to be a bit more ruthless in the editing suite and cut some of the stuff that doesn't add anything.

Subscribed there though. Keep it up anyway.

• Advertisement

100% agreed with everything you said!
    At the moment I'm just incredibly busy with work and have no internet at home so have to travel to upload to the last thing on my mind is properly editing.
    I'm still a bit camera shy around others which is why everything is rushed and such.
    But again, really helpful advice that I appreciate! Thanks Alf!

9bred4 wrote: »
    100% agreed with everything you said!
    At the moment I'm just incredibly busy with work and have no internet at home so have to travel to upload to the last thing on my mind is properly editing.
    I'm still a bit camera shy around others which is why everything is rushed and such.
    But again, really helpful advice that I appreciate! Thanks Alf!

Sure you're only two in. Takes time to hone a craft :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOAnsBy07aI

Video is on the longer side due to still not having wifi until Thursday.
    Also quality isn't great I know.
    Constructive criticism (or plain criticism) is welcome.

Pitch 'n' Putt was a nice touch!

Ara jaysus, the greenkeeper would want to get the finger out and trim those greens!

Planned vids sounded good. Maybe think about throwing up a MyFitnessPal shot of what's in the servings you get out of the bulk cook. Just for people interested in a macro breakdown

• Advertisement

In fairness he was out after!

Yeah got a scales for myself now so will be able to weigh food and what not. Also getting wifi later on today so finally will be able to be consistent and make more videos that are shorter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUdJgR8Cq7I

What an average day eating looks like! Standalone vid away from normal vlog.

I dunno if anybody even follows this anymore since I went off track. Wont be back doing 5x5 until October after football finishes.
    But still uploading so... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_EtwuPkVjE

I couldn't remember which thread you menationed the stalled weight loss in so I I'll post here. I saw the creatine on your MFP rundown. It's possible that the lack of weight loss is because water is being stored in your muscles because of creatine. But dropping weight and dropping fat are different so while the former doesn't appear to have happened, the latter may well be.

Also, in another video you were making your protein shakes with milk but you didn't record that. 200mls of milk would be of the order of 100-120 kcals. Just since you're trying to be accurate :)

I couldn't remember which thread you menationed the stalled weight loss in so I I'll post here. I saw the creatine on your MFP rundown. It's possible that the lack of weight loss is because water is being stored in your muscles because of creatine. But dropping weight and dropping fat are different so while the former doesn't appear to have happened, the latter may well be.

Also, in another video you were making your protein shakes with milk but you didn't record that. 200mls of milk would be of the order of 100-120 kcals. Just since you're trying to be accurate :)

Possible, yeah I've since started counting everything which includes the 100ml of milk in a shake and small serving of nutella with protein pancakes etc.

Thanks for the input Alf!

Take measurements of yourself and photos.

That's a better way to track progress than weight alone.

Oh, and get a new phone! :D

Yeah I have like one before photo, was thinking about doing that alright!

Stop, phone is killer! But if you knew what it's gone through (literally) you'd learn to love it!

Photos every couple of weeks. Anyone that's done it swears by it.

• Advertisement

Broke the 100kg bench for the first time! Could've gone a bit more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKlNXb1Kuzs&feature=youtu.be

Thinking about doing daily uploads except Sundays. This would include all my meals, lots of workout footage etc. Would this be a good idea to anybody that follows or am I better off doing the once every 3 days? 6 videos sounds like a lot but it would allow me to get a bit more in depth and such.

Also sidenote, I wonder could I change the name of this? Not exactly accurate at the moment and won't be until October thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

You might get some more views if you move your log to the Fitness Logs forum. Pretty dead in here these days.

Yeah I suppose setting up a new forum might be the best plan I'd say! Thanks

Advertisement