Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway Horse Riding

Options
  • 13-07-2015 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi folks.

So here's the story: I love horses, enjoy horse riding just as much but it breaks my heart (and my bank) to pay €40 every time I wanna go riding.

I was wondering if any of you guys here have a few horses or could recommend someone who would do some trekking at the weekends or so? Of course I would pay and would love to help out cleaning and grooming!

Let me know if you can think of anything... :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

€40? :O And there was uproar when the local centre increased their prices to €25...

How old are you OP? Would you have the time to work at a livery yard or the like?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kashmeer

Well €45 for 1.5 hr trek, other places are €30-35 for an hour. Some places have horses who just don't care and they do not listen to the rider at all! It is a nightmare!

I am 24, doing a PhD so I have evenings and weekends off, could take a day during the week off, also I guess.
    I did think of volunteering like that actually! Question is would anyone want me there like twice a week, I could not possibly do it every day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭GardeningGirl

Hiya did you find anywhere to go?

Hiya! No, Knockilaree is by far best there and I haven't been round in a long while... Went to Moycullen centre but it didn't sweep me off my feet to be honest!
    I would really really recommend Knockilaree, their horses are VERY well trained and I will be going there myself next Sunday, if the weather is nice :)

Ah, grand, I've seen the yard but haven't ridden myself. I'm from further out west so don't get that way often. Was going to suggest Coopers Hill Livery in the town. I haven't been but was in touch with the owner James. Their horses look EXCELLENT (I'm really fussy lol) and riding out looks okay too. Yep, been to Moycullen, it was grand, horses there wouldn't really be my type tho. Have you been on a ride at a beach before? :)

• Advertisement

Knockillaree's horses are well groomed... especially Con, lovely lovely creature- he is beautiful and very obedient! What kind of horses you like? I take it not them fluffy piebalds anyway!
    Oh I haven't heard about that livery at all, what are their prices? Or are you going to work for them?
    Yeah been on the beach in Sligo a few times but their horses don't listen... and recently in Portugal- got the most annoying horse ever, he just did everything to make me miserable!! But haven't ridden on the beach in Galway no. I find it a bit too pricey for what it is tbh, especially when horses aren't trained well!

Haha no im not much for a Bob the Cob. I prefer more of a sports horse type, find the lighter breeds easier on my back in trot etc. I must check this Conn chap out some time!
    I've a 16hh hack here for having fun on the beach.
    There are a few places to ride on the beach but honestly I expect you'll get much the same. I'll ask around and, if you can transport yourself, i'll see if I can get something borrowed for the day and we can go for a spin! I'm always looking for company to have a race haha. Would you ride a 14,2hh? :)
    Coopers Hill seems standard price but the quality definitely looks to compensate for that.
    Ah, ridden in Spain and Portugal myself, they're different alright lol. Not sure if it's due to confusion from aids/technique but had something similar happen to me too 😅

Yeah I learned horse riding on a lovely bay gelding - some English blood in it, lovely horse. Most places around Ireland have them cobs which aren't horses but ponies to me and you're right, their movement isn't that graceful and light, indeed.
    I did not find anywhere around Galway with good horses (apart from Knockillaree) or did but the price for a lesson was €40 or so, never mind the trek!

Is the hack you have your own or do you "rent it out"?
    Regarding the height - I have been on high horses, with the recent one in Portugal - she was huge! I am not scared of that really :)

I am not sure if I can race yet though - my horse riding isn't 100% yet, I am generally ok in the saddle, but can't jump and have a tendency to lose left stirrup in canter... Other than that I like to think I am sort of an advanced rider!

I just checked Cooper's Hill there on TripAdvisor, they have a few nice horses, but I see a lot of cobs, too?! Do you know their prices - for the beach ride and the country lane experience?

Advertisement