Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M8 motorway (general thread)

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

DirectRoute only maintain that section of the motorway, the installation of new signs would have to be instructed (and paid for) by the NRA.
    These signs have now been added to the M8 Fermoy Bypass (J14-J17). Diffferent design to the rest of the network but at least they're there (also added to the other DirectRoute scheme, the N18 Limerick SRR Phase II)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

I've recently started travelling the Cork > Dublin motorway twice a week (got a temp contract in Dublin)...

Is it just me or:

Has anyone else noticed how the proper motorway filling stations are NOT marked by signage...

Theres the Manor Stone one, the Mayfield Texaco, and that Topaz with a McDonalds near a halting site that was designed badly (not enough parking... no truck parking at all)...

well its hard to actually find each of those, should they not be allowed to have signage of some form on motorway.. even those semi-legal trailers parked in fields

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭cml387

They're not proper motorway filling stations, they're just privately funded service areas which are built near junctions. As such there is no compulsion on the NRA to signpost them any more than they should signpost Woodies or Ryan's butcher's shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

And in general on the motorway network, I wish they would get rid of those trailer adverts in the fields adjacent to the motorway network, they look cheap, tacky and desperate.
    And I'm surprised that companies like McDonalds and Burger king use them.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

There are loads of field signs: Cork's Atlantic flight training academy, Pierce Kavanagh Bus with Diesel advert (not a third of the sign has blown off)... Diesel prices for some filling stations in fields....

The only advert that is actually not an advert is GERMINAL SEEDS (as their building happens to be next to the motorway)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,377 ✭✭✭✭road_high

hi5 wrote: »
    And in general on the motorway network, I wish they would get rid of those trailer adverts in the fields adjacent to the motorway network, they look cheap, tacky and desperate.

Ah I don't mind them. Though agree, sometimes they are poorly maintained/weather damaged and prob do more harm than good to the brand they're advertising!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

hi5 wrote: »

The reason these signs have proliferated and are now used by 'major' brands including The Jameson heritage centre (on N25 near Midleton) is because there was a court challenge a few years ago against them which was lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 neiljung

Some pretty significant duct installation works on the verge of the north bound carriage of the M8 around the Cashel/N24 junction. Looks like a rigid purple colour duct that's going in. An ideas what is?

Surprisingly there's no speed reductions despite a full lane closure with only traffic cones for a barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

neiljung wrote: »
    Some pretty significant duct installation works on the verge of the north bound carriage of the M8 around the Cashel/N24 junction. Looks like a rigid purple colour duct that's going in. An ideas what is?

Surprisingly there's no speed reductions despite a full lane closure with only traffic cones for a barrier.

Vodafone ESB JV to supply hi speed broadband..............
    Probably subbies at the coal face...........

• Registered Users Posts: 39 neiljung

stock> wrote: »
    Vodafone ESB JV to supply hi speed broadband..............
    Probably subbies at the coal face...........

Are you sure?

Would defeat the purpose of running fibre over power lines if you have to pay for expensive duct installs along a motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Probably TII themselves - they have a ducting network, which has a massive gap on the M8

http://www.tii.ie/tii-library/Network_Management/Submission_of_Consent_Applications/Indicative-Location-of-Ducting.pdf

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Councillor looking for Junction 5 on the M8 (Twomileborris/Thurles/N75) to be made into a full junction. It currently only has north facing slip roads

https://www.tipperarystar.ie/news/home/311555/survey-needed-to-count-thurles-traffic.html

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

the Horse and jockey was set up to take the southern bound traffic for Thurlus and the Twomileborris for the north bound traffic and I can't see that being changed.................

• Site Banned Posts: 10 Dunmhkl

Why is there no Junction 2 on the M8?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Originally supposed to be built, but Bord Planeala removed it (and the equivalent on the M7) just in case they ever want to make the M8/M7 junction freeflow.

Originally supposed to be built, but Bord Planeala removed it (and the equivalent on the M7) just in case they ever want to make the M8/M7 junction freeflow.

Will it be built and when?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Dunmhkl wrote: »
    Will it be built and when?

Good question..
    but no mention of it.

Junction 20 on the M7 was supposed to be for Coolfin near Aghaboe but this was cancelled to make way for that future interchange.

Where was Junction 2 on the M8 for before it was scrapped?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

https://goo.gl/maps/ZFECaToLoGdiEdcw5

Here I think

And nah, it won't be built for a very long time, if ever.

Why is there a need for a new M7/M8 interchange anyway?

• Advertisement

Why is there a need for a new M7/M8 interchange anyway?

To be able to go from the M8 to M7 southbound I'd assume. It's weird you can't do that off the M9 either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

All traffic flows either to or from Dublin you see! Where would you going otherwise :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Why is there no Junction 2 on the M8?
    Deleting post: already answered by other posters I didnt see for some reason when I posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Hogzy wrote: »
    All traffic flows either to or from Dublin you see! Where would you going otherwise :pac:

Volume. Junctions aren't cheap, especially freeflow.

I'd love to have more flexible junctions but when the penny pinching is getting bloody lights switched off at minor junctions, what hope do you have for non Dublin-direction junction redesign.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Why is their no junction 1? Will junction 2 ever be built?

Is 1 the M7 merge?

Is 1 the M7 merge?

I thought that too but that's numbered as being part of the M7 itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,876 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Stark wrote: »

Ah yes I see now!

Some very rough pieces of Tarmac around junction 3 that could do with resurfacing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭mobydopy

Anyone able to tell me what's the traffic like on the M8 / N40 between Watergrasshill and Wilton in the mornings (7-9am) and evenings (5-7pm).

Google maps is saying roughly 30 mins but I have no idea if traffic/heavy congestion is common between the hours I've mentioned

Advertisement