Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ex Top Gear Trio in discussion with ITV!

• 08-05-2015 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/may/08/top-gear-jeremy-clarkson-james-may-richard-hammond-itv-bbc#comment-51762541
    op Gear stars Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond took a step closer to moving to ITV after it emerged the three presenters held talks with its programme chief Peter Fincham along with the show’s former executive producer, Andy Wilman.

ITV has been touted as the most likely UK broadcaster to pick up the trio after Clarkson was axed from the show after his assault on a producer and his fellow co-presenters both quit the BBC2 show.

The three met Fincham, a former controller of BBC1, along with ITV’s director of entertainment and comedy Elaine Bedell, who had previously worked closely with Clarkson at the BBC.

The meeting took place on Wednesday evening at Fincham’s home in west London.

an uncomfortable fit for the obvious reasons.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

'Final Gear'

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If they fetch up on ITV and UTV so-called Ireland dont broadcast it, there will be blood on the walls of UPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

So it'd be a variant of Top Gear, but with ads, and without the world renowned production quality of the BBC (the visuals & productions of the specials are really jaw dropping at times). I have to say, I'm not sure I'll bother. I did enjoy TG, & I do like the Clarkson & May, but I think it's time the band broke up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Myrddin wrote: »
    So it'd be a variant of Top Gear, but with ads, and without the world renowned production quality of the BBC (the visuals & productions of the specials are really jaw dropping at times). I have to say, I'm not sure I'll bother. I did enjoy TG, & I do like the Clarkson & May, but I think it's time the band broke up.

I think the opposite. With the sponsorship money ITV could bring in, Clarkson and co know how the show works best, I am sure there will be a team joining with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

When ITV try a BBC format, it just falls a little short. BBC have the Graham Norton show, ITV's attempt is Alan Carr, Chatty Man.

I just can't see the same effort being put into the cinematography as the BBC would.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Chatty Man is on C4, Ross is on ITV. Point stands though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Chatty Man is on C4, Ross is on ITV. Point stands though!

That's an even better example. Look at the fall off in quality when he made the same move.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭paulheu

With ITV the show will have to make money. As it was with the BBC would never do that so it will be a (severely) watered down version.

I get the feeling too many people, Clarkson in front, think Top-Gear was all about these three clowns. I think will be in for a surprise when they do make it so at ITV.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

jasus lads, they ll make it work. one of the biggest money spinners on tv! no brainer

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭paulheu

ITV will never be able to bring the same production value as the BBC. It's a simple matter of cost/benefit. ITV will do the Clarkson&co show, BBC will continue doing Top-Gear.

My money here is on the BBC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭satguy

Shoulda gone to Netflix ,,,

12 High production value Shows per season, plus a 2 episode Xmas special, and one, 1 off special to be decided..

Netflix would even get a 1 off special of, out takes and behind the scenes stuff.

satguy wrote: »
    Shoulda gone to Netflix ,,,

never had it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Topgear with ads

to paraphrase a Mr I Paisley...

Never Never Never!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I would have thought Netflix would have been a perfect partner for a new global show, there's no need for them to be so focused on the UK market.

I don't accept that another producer can't make a well produced show. It may not have the ultimate polish of a BBC production but just look at the likes of Chris Harris new channel and they can carry off a perfectly presentable show on a tiny budget. It wouldn't surprise me if Jeremy and co could convince a few of the top gear production team to jump ship with them.

I think they have an opportunity to make something better than top gear. Quite often a company with loads of money get's used to just spending loads of money rather than innovating. A reduced budget might inspire some more creativity. It shouldn't affect their access to cars though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

According to one report, the BBC is offering £4.6m to Hammond & May, for 3 more series with guest presenters.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

netflix in the mix now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's Amazon Prime that have the new Clarkson/ May/ Hammond show:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33715671

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Worst possible outcome for Irish fans - they won't be available here unless RTE, TV3, TG4, or UTV pick up the show (though no doubt one of them eventually will).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Amazon Prime could always expand to new countries.

Advertisement