Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lucifer (Fox/Netflix) [** Spoilers **]

• 11-05-2015 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭

Bored and unhappy as the Lord of Hell, LUCIFER MORNINGSTAR (Tom Ellis, “Merlin”) has abandoned his throne and retired to L.A., where he owns Lux, an upscale nightclub.
    Charming, charismatic and devilishly handsome, Lucifer is enjoying his retirement, indulging in a few of his favorite things – wine, women and song – when a beautiful pop star is brutally murdered outside of Lux. For the first time in roughly 10 billion years, he feels something awaken deep within him as a result of this murder. Compassion? Sympathy?

The very thought disturbs him – as well as his best friend and confidante, MAZIKEEN aka MAZE (Lesley-Ann Brandt, “The Librarians”), a fierce demon in the form of a beautiful young woman. The murder attracts the attention of LAPD homicide detective CHLOE DANCER (Lauren German, “Chicago Fire”), who initially is dismissive of Lucifer. But she becomes intrigued by his talent for drawing out people’s secrets and his desire to dispense justice, doling out punishment to those who deserve it.

As they work together to solve the pop star’s murder, Lucifer is struck by Chloe’s inherent goodness. Accustomed to dealing with the absolute worst of humanity, Lucifer is intrigued by Chloe’s apparent purity and begins to wonder if there’s hope for his own soul yet. At the same time, God’s emissary, the angel AMENADIEL (DB Woodside, “Suits,” “24”), has been sent to Los Angeles to convince Lucifer to return to the underworld…can the Devil incarnate be tempted toward the side of Good, or will his original calling pull him back toward Evil?

http://www.ksitetv.com/lucifer/lucifer-first-photos-description-for-foxs-dcvertigo-adaptation/67093

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Loved the Sandman arc this came from. Season of Mists. Hope this is a better success than Constantine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Oh dear god that looks horrifically bad!

I was a huge fan of the comic books Lucifer, it was incredibly well written and even surpassed Sandman in my opinion, the labyrinthine storyline was incredible, the mythology and characters, everything about it was amazing. Hands down one of the best comic books ever. And they've taken that and done this with it?! Lucifer joins up with the police and solves murders? It would be like if they adapted Lord of the Rings but just said "f*ck the plot! Lets just have someone named Frodo who wanders about the shire helping people, that'll do", you'd think why would they even bother? Well why did they bother even adapting Lucifer if they were just gonna do this? I wanna get sick after watching that trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

:pac:

'Lucifer' Fox TV Series 'Mocks the Bible,' Says One Million Moms' Petition to Cancel the Show
    The American Family Association's One Million Moms website has launched a petition calling for Fox to halt its plans to air a new television series called "Lucifer" in 2016, saying the program "mischaracterizes" Satan and "mocks the Bible."

"The series will focus on Lucifer portrayed as a good guy, 'who is bored and unhappy as the Lord of Hell,' the petition states.

The premise of the series, which is based on the DC Comics Series of the same name, is that the protagonist, Lucifer Morningstar, decides to leave Hell and move to Los Angeles, the City of Angels, to open up an upscale nightclub called "Lux."

"People like to tell me things, those deep, dark naughty little desires that are on their mind," Lucifer, played by actor Tom Ellis, says in the official trailer.

But God is upset with the fact that Satan has left hell and sends an angel named Amenadiel to help convince Lucifer to return to Hell.

"What exactly do you think happens when the devil leaves hell?" asks Amenadiel, played by actor D.B. Woodside, in the trailer. "All of those demons, all of those tormented and tortured souls, where do you think they go?"

http://www.christianpost.com/news/one-million-moms-says-new-fox-tv-series-lucifer-mocks-the-bible-starts-petition-urging-for-shows-cancellation-139742/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I actually like the look of it. No release date yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Just finished reading the comic for the second time. This show appears to be an affront to the comic. Lucifer doesn't give a dam about the lives of mortals unless they have something he needs, and once he gets it they are meaning less. As for Amadell Lucifer can wipe him from existence in a blink of a eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,952 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

"Pilot is out there."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Atrocious. Our leading man is about as satanic as Bart Simpson. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw some clown turning up with glued-on angels wings. I assume Neil Gaiman took the money and ran.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Our leading man is about as satanic as Bart Simpson..

This isnt an 18's horror film. Light hearted Lucifer. I liked it.:)

It's a kinda and more caring Devil.

Ok ive watched the pilot, Lucifers power is only second to God, he is above the other Angels so its really pissed me off with this fearing Amenadiel.

Also, from what i can remember, Angels dont have any junk so this whole having sex with humans is nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Also, from what i can remember, Angels dont have any junk so this whole having sex with humans is nonsense.

What you can remember from what? Other fiction?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

but angels dont have sex organs, didnt they dissect that one they found back in the 4th century, no?:D

Probably should of said I've read the comic series that this abomination is supposedly based on.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I kind of liked Tom Ellis as Lucifer but that's all I liked about it really.

It felt like a poor syfy channel show just poor acting and poor writing much like the leaked Minority Report pilot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I enjoyed that. Tom Ellis has the same swagger about him as he did in Rush, although he's using his own British accent in this. Lauren German was solid as ever. Her 2 big roles in H50 and Chicago Fire will stand to her for this role. Not sure about DB Woodside though, a bit of a let down there and Laura Harris as the shrink is cast perfectly.

I will give this a go when the season starts, its on Fox so I think it has a decent enough chance. If it was on CBS/NBC/ABC I would say it a toss up for cancellation but with Fox I think it might work (based on the intellect of people who watch Fox) :)

Suppose we have to wait and see what changes are made from pilot to season and if its got 13 or 23 episodes in it. Also what is in competition in its time slot. Although I would like to see a marriage between it and Gotham.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Fierce bang of Elementary off it. Clever bloke with English accent who has a particular insight into solving crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

don ramo wrote: »
    but angels dont have sex organs, didnt they dissect that one they found back in the 4th century, no?:D

also wings were something that a famous artist put on them in his pictures and it stuck, so just another bit of lore added on after the 'fact'

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Lithium93_ wrote: »

I was really hoping this would have been cancelled. A one season show at best unless it plays upon the bad acting and silly costumes to give us a comedy.

I always thought Tom Ellis would make a great James Bond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

This is fast becoming one of my favourite shows. Excellent episode tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭squonk

Started it last night. Have to say I hated that first episode. The premise is interesting but he's not very threatening as the devil really is he? It's just like Rush with supernatural elements and less interesting. I was a bit dismayed how quickly it devolved into a cop procedural.

As I watched it by the time I got to the end where DB Woodside and the other girl were telling him to get back to Hell and not to be as nice to humans I found myself thinking "Yeah! Right on!". His whole reason for hanging out with the cop was just crap. She's immune to me, I'm fascinated. So what?? You're the devil. Haven't you got better things to be doing than solving petty crimes? I'll give it a few more episodes to see if it improves but I'm disappointed. I expected much more. There are enough procedurals already. I wish they'd gone somewhere different.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I didn't warm to the first episode. I thought Lucifer was a bit smarmy and Chloe was a bit stiff, but episodes 2 and 3 showed decent improvement on the first.

It took me longer than I'd like to admit to twig that the psychiatrist was played by the same actress as Sheila in Suits.

Mr E wrote: »
    It took me longer than I'd like to admit to twig that the psychiatrist was played by the same actress as Sheila in Suits.

I totally see it now but it didn't jumpt out at me either! LOL! At least you weren't the only one!

I think it's great anyway. The whole "she's immune to me" is a good story in my opinion. He's the devil, he's always got what he wanted in Hell, and now that he's on vacation, he's encountered someone who is immune to his "power". If you lived your whole life getting everyone and anyone to tell you their darkest desires, and suddenly you meet someone who won't, that would intrigue you. Yeah, they're putting a procedural cop story behind it, but they do have to get a season out of it.

His struggle with playing nice and being the devil is interesting too. It's definitely going to play out more as the season progresses, and i reckon he'll snap a couple of times. He has to. He's the devil. I don't know, i just find this very interesting considering he's not hiding the fact that he is the devil. I love it anyway.

I see the ratings give it a 1.6 at the moment so no danger of cancellation just yet.

The only thing that I am slightly disappointed in is the lack of DB Woodside doing anything and this guy is the devil, do some devil stuff instead of looking into someones eyes and charm the knickers off them!

I was really hoping for something nasty involving the guy that was using his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

The danger is that it will get boring if they rinse and repeat the "crime - Lucifer makes them talk - solved" method too much with not enough interesting crime or a bigger "why is she different" arch.

Sure looks like the next episode is going to be driving more into the "why is she different" area with
    Chloe even shooting Lucifer
    according to the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Loving this show so far. It's got just the right mix of comedy, seriousness and fantasy, but I agree that they will have to expand beyond the "Lucifer and Chloe work on a crime together, Lucifer gets people to talk... etc.", in case they get stuck in a rut.

My theory on Chloe's immunity is that they will tie it in with the Nephilim myths in the bible and other related literature such as the book of Enoch. In my opinion this gives them the best option, probably explaining Chloe's ancestry by the bit in the book of Genesis where it says "the sons of god had intercourse with the daughters of men."
    This myth is expanded upon in Enoch, which describes the rebel angels being besotted by these exceptionally beautiful human women. Chloe in Lucifer is also certainly very beautiful, which I know is not solid evidence, but certainly doesn't conflict with her having such ancestors.

I thought Episode 2 picked up after the first 10 minutes so we'll see. I really do hope here's more to it though. Tom Ellis' handsome, charming devil schtick is starting to grate on me though. I'll give it a few more epsiodes to warm up before I decide!

• Advertisement

Now this show is motoring! Thought that was an excellent episode.

Advertisement