Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aussie dollar falling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭niva*sis

Hi Statina,

I wouldn't be 100% sure being honest.

AIB have a forum on boards where you can ask questions its called "ask aib".

you should take a look at their page and suss it out straight from them.

before I asked them the questions I was told by a few different people that I had to show two years savings! so its better to get it straight from the horses mouth.

Rate was at .73 on xe this morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Interest rate cut gave the Aussie a bounce, at €.71 now.

speaking of interest rates my ANZ progressive saver rate which was 3.7% is gone down to 2.95%
    I know it doesn't seem like much but you would notice it every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

niva*sis wrote: »
    speaking of interest rates my ANZ progressive saver rate which was 3.7% is gone down to 2.95%
    yup, my goal saver with comm bank is down from 4% to 3%, not a recent thing though - think they done that around christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

niva*sis wrote: »

Still some better rates to be had if you shop around.

I'm currently getting 3.60% with bankwest albeit with some restrictions mainly no withdrawals otherwiss rate reverts to 0.01%

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Try the UBank Ultra Account set up currently paying 3.62% inc bonus

this should be an interesting week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Would a Greek implosion help or hinder? I'm thinking hinder in the short term but help in the long term as Greece leaves the euro. Is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,016 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Batgurl wrote: »
    Would a Greek implosion help or hinder? I'm thinking hinder in the short term but help in the long term as Greece leaves the euro. Is that correct?
    Help or hinder what, exactly? In the short term you'd expect a Greek exit to lead to a decline in the value of the euro relative to other currencies, inc. the AUD. This helps if you have AUD and would like to by EUR, but it hinders if your situation is the reverse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

I think it will be the other way around.

A brief capital flight over the next few weeks until things firm up again in Europe will see the AUD pop up against EUR, then long term with Greece out on its bum, EUR will stabilize in a big way and AUD will taper back down to the .66 mark.

Unless

The AUD jump is sharp enough and sustained enough to expose the foreign property investment in the Aussie housing market (6-8 weeks would probably start to hurt it) in which case, there is a very real chance of the bubble letting go over here, which would be a disaster as it's about as overheated as anywhere in the world has ever been in SYD and MEL, with BNE not far behind.

We live in interesting times.

:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Short answer, who knows.

Long answer well it depends on your time frame. There is going to be a lot of volatility this week, so if you are looking to buy euros with your AUD to use them soon, then it may be a good time for it. Above .70 seems to be a good benchmark if it gets to that point.

Don't rush into anything and DYOR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

The AUD jump is sharp enough and sustained enough to expose the foreign property investment in the Aussie housing market (6-8 weeks would probably start to hurt it) in which case, there is a very real chance of the bubble letting go over here, which would be a disaster as it's about as overheated as anywhere in the world has ever been in SYD and MEL, with BNE not far behind.

That would definitely be interesting. Some aussies I work with are buying second properties saying that its the best investment and the prices are going to keep rising. I ask are they not worried about the bubble bursting and they say no because australia managed to avoid the financial crisis. Possibly the most frustrating conversation an irish person can have!

Noo wrote: »
    That would definitely be interesting. Some aussies I work with are buying second properties saying that its the best investment and the prices are going to keep rising. I ask are they not worried about the bubble bursting and they say no because australia managed to avoid the financial crisis. Possibly the most frustrating conversation an irish person can have!

particularly when the parrot back the sh1te they've been fed by a real-estate agent as representing any kind of financial advice.

Asking a shark for swimming lessons FFS.

It seems that whatever the € loses on Greece the Aus$ is losing on the China slowdown. No real change at the moment.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Noo wrote: »

I have had the same argument with lots of Australians. Most of them seem confused when you try to explain to them that it is possible to lose money investing in property especially the younger ones who have only seen property rise in value.

so they have picked no. any guesses on where the euro will land in the short term?

Might weaken against the Aus$ today but the vote itself makes little difference, a grexit has been expected and now looks more likely.
    The huge drops in shanghai have more bearing on the Aus$ in the near future.

whats driving my interest, i need to send some euro home for a big expense next year. have the cash sitting here in a 3% interest account. my bank at home are paying nothing from what i can see. trying to decide if this Greek debacle is an opportunity.

lg123 wrote: »
    whats driving my interest, i need to send some euro home for a big expense next year. have the cash sitting here in a 3% interest account. my bank at home are paying nothing from what i can see. trying to decide if this Greek debacle is an opportunity.

keep a close eye on it.
    The drop in commodity prices at the moment are stopping any AUD gains.
    If that stabilizes before Grexit, you might see some rises, probably not though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

lg123 wrote: »
    so they have picked no. any guesses on where the euro will land in the short term?

It will result in little net change in the euro value. Greece is less then 1.9% of EZ GDP. It's like saying Puerto Rico default would damage dollar

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

BoatMad wrote: »
    It will result in little net change in the euro value. Greece is less then 1.9% of EZ GDP. It's like saying Puerto Rico default would damage dollar

Just like letting Lehman Brothers go did no damage.

Iron ore dropping below $50, shaghai down a lot, Grexit is priced in, I reckon the aus$ is going to drop a good bit over the next weeks which is crap as I've more to move out of there!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭gudede

Alright lads... Are people still of the view that the dollar will drop compared to tye euro?? Currently around 0.68, would love for it to increase to around 0.71...guessing that won't happen any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

gudede wrote: »
    Alright lads... Are people still of the view that the dollar will drop compared to tye euro?? Currently around 0.68, would love for it to increase to around 0.71...guessing that won't happen any time soon.

Would like to hear more on this too as Im gonna be bringing home a nice chunk with me in about 4 week. Also, who does everyone use for sending home cash? I was transferring it usually through my banks but I think im gonna give Currency Fair go this time

Would like to hear more on this too as Im gonna be bringing home a nice chunk with me in about 4 week. Also, who does everyone use for sending home cash? I was transferring it usually through my banks but I think im gonna give Currency Fair go this time

http://www.ozforex.com.au/news-commentary/daily/2015/7/21/traders-look-to-rba-monetary-policy-meeting-minutes-for-direction

http://www.ozforex.com.au/news-commentary/weekly/2015/7/20/weekly-newsletter

Its not a bad place to keep an eye on developments and it does highlight the relevant reports that will drive changes.
    It's all about timing.

And of course....
    http://www.rba.gov.au/monetary-policy/rba-board-minutes/2015/index.html

should be released later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

gudede wrote: »

I am completely unqualified to give anyone advice, but as an anecdote, I have been telling myself lately that 0.68 is the new 0.70.

The Yuan devaluation has taken the Aus$ down with it, bouncing off .65c now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

catbear wrote:
    The Yuan devaluation has taken the Aus$ down with it, bouncing off .65c now.

It'll probably keep dragging it down, interesting time ahead

Advertisement