Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2015 Cooking Club Week 17: Vietnamese Summer Rolls

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

That looks yum, Taboola. Yes it's lovely with smoked fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    That looks yum, Taboola. Yes it's lovely with smoked fish.

Love your creativity Mrs Fox. You should have you're own sub forum :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I finally got around to making these yesterday. They are absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately I didn't get to take any pictures, but I'll take some the next time I make them, which definitely will be soon. :)

convert wrote: »
    I finally got around to making these yesterday. They are absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately I didn't get to take any pictures, but I'll take some the next time I make them, which definitely will be soon. :)

Excellent. Glad you enjoyed them, convert.:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Made these on Saturday and they went down a treat. The dipping sauce was lovely but the only issue was that it was hard to get a lot of into the roll. Any tips for maybe thickening it up so more of it clings on?

• Advertisement

irish_goat wrote: »
    Made these on Saturday and they went down a treat. The dipping sauce was lovely but the only issue was that it was hard to get a lot of into the roll. Any tips for maybe thickening it up so more of it clings on?

Maybe you can use Thai sweet chilli sauce instead, adding a splash of fish sauce? It'll be thick enough to stick onto the filling. Having said that I've never actually tried it myself.
    The other thing I can think of is to cook it down until it turns syrupy, but you'd need to increase the sugar then. And leave the lime towards the end.
    Glad it went down a treat for you, goat.
    I'm going to make myself some later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭GoodBridge

I think Nigel Slater has a thicker version.. ok found it here:
    Nuoc cham

A deeper, sweeter, darker dipping sauce

It is sometimes useful to have a sauce that will stick to whatever you are dipping into it. The thin version above is good for soaking into fresh rolls, but will not adhere to anything. This one is thicker.

I sometimes put chopped coriander in, but always at the end, when it stays much more fragrant. Makes a small bowlful.

2 large red chillies 3 tbsps Thai fish sauce 6 tbsps water 3 tbsps rice vinegar 6 tbsps caster sugar a thumb-sized knob of ginger juice of 2 limes 1 tsp light soy sauce

Remove the stems from the chillies, halve the chillies and chop them finely. Don't discard the seeds. You need their heat in this.

Put the fish sauce, water, rice vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Peel the ginger and chop it finely with a heavy cook's knife, then crush it to a pulp with the flat blade of the knife. Add the ginger to the pan and let the mixture boil until it has started to thicken slightly - it will go even further on cooling.

When the sauce is cool, add the chopped chilli, the lime juice and the soy sauce.
    - http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2002/feb/03/foodanddrink.recipes

GoodBridge wrote: »
    I think Nigel Slater has a thicker version.. ok found it here:

- http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2002/feb/03/foodanddrink.recipes

Thanks GoodBridge :)

This is a good idea I picked up from my friend's recent visit to a vegan restaurant.
    To avoid the rolls sticking together, instead of including lettuce in the filling, use them like napkins. Edible napkins.

FB_IMG_1437916606294_zpszd338hzl.jpg

Finally got around to making these. I didn't do a great job wrapping them but I think I only really messed up one (overfilled it) and they all actually did look very presentable but at the last minute I thought I'd slice them in half and they kind of fell to bits:

QHvlE4W.jpg?3

Although maybe it was because of this:

z8gilpP.jpg?2

Coconuts were going for 99c in Supervalu so added a bit of rum, mint and lime... so tasty and refreshing.

Thanks for the recipe. It was great

• Advertisement

GoodBridge wrote: »
    Coconuts were going for 99c in Supervalu so added a bit of rum, mint and lime... so tasty and refreshing.

Thanks for the recipe. It was great

Thanks for the coconut idea!
    ...put the lime (and rum and mint) in the coconut and shake it all up...

Glad you enjoyed the rolls.

There was muddled lime and mint in the coconut too. The bit at the top was for scent when you bent in to sip the straw (and make it look a bit fancy). It was honestly one of the nicest drinks I've had in a long time.

These rolls reminded both myself and mrs a tiny bit of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzFoThs2Qpw which we've made quite a few times and love it. Obviously not as healthy or have the same finesse though

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Roald Dahl

We made a couple of these tonight as a starter. They were really quick and easy to make, but I would think there is definitely a knack to rolling then and practice would be required. Well, there seem to be a huge amount of rice paper sheets in the packet, so we'll definitely be making them again. :)

They are filled with coriander, red cabbage, carrot peanuts and prawns.

I forgot to make the dipping sauce, but will definitely make it the next time.

CC-2015-17-Vietnamese-Summer-Rolls.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

These have been on my to do list since this thread started five years ago! :eek: I'm not great with finicky, rolly-type things, I think that's why I haven't got round to it yet. :rolleyes:

I miss Mrs Fox :(

Advertisement