Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I am quitting

• 17-06-2015 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi everybody,

I smoked the last cig a few hours ago. I have been smoking for more than 20 years and I believe it is time to do something good for my health. I cannot breathe when I cycle, my sense of smell is terrible now, coughing every single morning...

I tried to quit 2 years ago and did not smoke for a couple of months... Then I got really stressed at work and went back to smoking.

Cravings are pretty bad right now, so I thought of joining the forum as I believe it can be great help! I hope I can make it this time.

Thanks everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

maybe look at an e-cig if the craving are too much, helped me

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭diyeys

Thanks uch,

I have one but in the end it just helped me for a few days, then I was back to smoking. I am going cold turkey this time as I believe it will work best for me.

I hope I can stick to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ashmc79

I am smoking my last cig here now and I will follow your progress too!! We are in it together!! I'm going cold turkey too!! Best of luck xxx

ashmc79 wrote:
    I am smoking my last cig here now and I will follow your progress too!! We are in it together!! I'm going cold turkey too!! Best of luck xxx

Hi ashmc79! That's great, we are going to make it! This is my second day and I'm doing a bit better.

Post your progress here so we can support each other :)

I am not sure if I can do this... I have some added stress now and not sure if it is worth it to go through this.

Pretty bad at the moment... What does people do when something out of your control happens?

• Advertisement

I smoked yesterday, but I am not giving up and have been off cigs all day today.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 DPolo

Gave up smoking on Monday myself after 20 a day. Once you get past the second day it becomes far easier, cravings ease up and irritability is more manageable. Thing I found that helps was to find what triggers cravings and see if it can be avoided I.e coffee etc until the cravings pass after a couple minutes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭DarkoT

My girlfriend smokes and it bothers me a lot. Mostly I hate the smell of the cigars in my house...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

diyeys wrote: »
    I smoked yesterday, but I am not giving up and have been off cigs all day today.

I've given up a few times and then a year later got drunk and ended up smoking again. As disheartening as it can be, I give up again.

I have found that when I'm giving up it can be sometimes easier to have a cigarette or two. I tend to think of it like "I'm going to stop smoking by next monday and I'm going to start today." That way if I slip and fail and have a smoke it's not the end of the world. And strangely, for some people like me it's ok to have the odd smoke during that week when the stress/cravings get really bad.
    The idea is not to worry about the odd "Slip up" but to keep your eyes on the end goal. So if you have one smoke that day it's still better than the 20 you had before and you're still on track to be smoke free by the following week.

Of course that approach won't work for everyone. Some people fell better not smoking at all from day one, but for me personally it works.

Thanks Grayson.

I think you are right there because I tend to worry too much about that "slip up". I am still off the cigarettes, 5 days now! And what I am doing when the stress or cravings get bad is to use an electronic cigarette instead of smoking.

It is working for now and I am feeling much better, I think I took the right decision by quitting.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement