Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Colour Vision Tests

Options
  • 18-06-2015 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭

Popular Photography linked to two different colour vision tests, which give very different results.

The first test measures how well you can discriminate between colours that are very close together. They say it's just a bit of fun, and they're not kidding. I scored 30, which classes me as a Robot, better than 92.7% of the population.
    This despite having a medical diagnosis of moderate protanopia (red/green colour blindness).

The second test is more rigorous, to the point that it might give misleading results on an uncalibrated computer screen. I've done the real-world version of this test, moving little pots of pigment around. A score of 99 is classed as "low colour acuity". My score, doing my best on a pretty good screen?
    113, doing particlarly badly on the purple part of the spectrum. This isn't that far from the real-world test result.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Yoghurt87

I scored 26 (76.9th centile) on the first test and 16 on the second. I could probably have improved my score on the second if I'd spent a few more minutes on it, but I was starting to get dizzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

I scored 11 on the first test and I couldn't even attempt the second one.

Purely because I am colour visually impaired and it would cause me to have a bloody panic attack or something :)

My optician is always mesmerised when I come in for eye tests, in his 15 years of being an optician, I'm the only woman he's met who's colour blind :(

It can really get to me sometimes!! So annoying buying clothes or make-up, getting home and being told by a friend or family member that it's not the colour I thought it was :D Just have to live with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I got 30 correct, none wrong on the first one. I didn't get any comparison though, all I got was a comparison to animals and I'm a hawk.

Second one I got a score of 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

I got 31 on the first one and 0 on the second one. The second one tells me I have perfect color acuity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

I got 33 on the first one, but I'm not even going to attempt the second!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

DarrenG wrote: »
    I got 31 on the first one and 0 on the second one. The second one tells me I have perfect color acuity.

Only 22 on the first and a perfect 0 on the 2nd. Must try the 1st again.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

34 and Robot on the first one, 23 on the second one (which made my head hurt!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Guys...how did you get over 30 if maxim is Hawk @ 25-29 !? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I got 34 - robot on the first and 3 on the second - not too bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

First one compared me to a Labour TD

Second one told me I was adopted

Need to phone my parents, they will want to know I'm Labour... That's if I can find my parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Good news; I'm a hawk.
    Bad news: I still have no feckin' idea what colour that dress was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Your color vision is superb. You wouldn't have any problems surviving in the jungle. You can see when the neighbouring tiger visits the bathroom faaaar away.

Eve of the tiger!!!! 22 correct 0 wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Second test: You have perfect color vision!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,120 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Got 36 on the first so I'm a robot who can spot a mosquito a mile away or suchlike, second i scored 114 which is pretty poor, though must admit I rushed it, would hope to do better on a second try
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭deadybai

22 on the first and 19 on the second. Looks like everyone here has better vision then me. Im only 21 ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

First time I've been delighted to score 0 on a test (the 2nd one). Had to take a picture of the result screen because I know no one will believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

deadybai wrote: »
    22 on the first and 19 on the second. Looks like everyone here has better vision then me. Im only 21 ffs
    Nope! On the second test, lower scores are better, and 21 is much, much better than I did (see OP). :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Suspect it's down to poor monitor contrasts, but it looks like my colour recognition is quite bad :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Suspect it's down to poor monitor contrasts, but it looks like my colour recognition is quite bad :o

Yep I'm the same. Did awful in both tests and I'm pretty certain I'm not colour blind, especially since I'm female :o The first animal I got compared to was a mole and then a dog, haha! Couldn't get past the blue colour block on the first one so I got 10 and on the next on got 129 :eek: :o:o I nearly got sick from looking at the second one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Yep I'm the same. Did awful in both tests and I'm pretty certain I'm not colour blind, especially since I'm female :o The first animal I got compared to was a mole and then a dog, haha! Couldn't get past the blue colour block on the first one so I got 10 and on the next on got 129 :eek: :o:o I nearly got sick from looking at the second one.

I did it on a different screen and doubled my score. Think I shouldn't have bought such a cheap monitor..

• Advertisement
Advertisement