Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ballers - HBO

• 22-06-2015 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭

The Rock's new TV show.

Started last night in the US.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭ceegee

Enjoyed the first episode, looks like it has potential. Very much an entourage vibe off it at times but hopefully they focus a bit more on the football business

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

That was a pretty strong Pilot and Dwayne Johnson's acting has come on leaps and bounds.

This has great potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

ceegee wrote: »
    Enjoyed the first episode, looks like it has potential. Very much an entourage vibe off it at times but hopefully they focus a bit more on the football business

Mark Wahlberg is an executive producer (as well as Johnson). It's gonna be huge. There's been a gap for a very testosterone driven male orientated show since Entourage & Rescue Me went off air. This is going to fill that gap really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I felt that for a half-hour pilot introduction, into a world that I haven't that much of a pressing interest in, it was a promising debut.

It was a pleasant surprise to see The Rock doing some actual acting. He has so much charisma and presence, it was about time he started putting it to real use. He’s completely wasted on screen these days, appearing in schlocky glorified baby oil advertisemnts.

Hopefully the show won’t end up being skin-deep and shallow; it seemed to promise some satirical edge, so hopefully that side of things will remain healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Really liked the pilot. If it continues like that it'll be a keeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Arghus wrote: »
    I felt that for a half-hour pilot introduction, into a world that I haven't that much of a pressing interest in, it was a promising debut.

I was the same about Friday night lights, I have no interest in sport but the story kept me coming back for more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Wasn't super, but it was a decent pilot.
    It's about time someone said "Let's put this man on TV".
    The guy is such a good entertainer, even if he hasn't always shown the most talent (as mentioned, it's come a long way), he always gives a committed performance.

I don't know how I feel about this. I might give it a few more episodes, because I really like Dwayne Johnson (is it me, or does the Rock look bigger in absolutely everything he does?), but it wasn't amazing or mindblowing. It does feel like Entourage, which I didn't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

I'm liking this so far. Dwayne Johnson's acting isn't too bad either for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

The opening credits are baller

Yeh!!! I went there ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It certainly does have an Entourage feel about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

lead character is denzel washington's son John David

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I like it, will definitely give it one season anyway considering it is only 10 episodes. The wife calls blantourage as she says it is basically entourage with black people

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

OOooooo, I forgot about this. I'll check it out over le weekend.

The second episode wasnt as good as the first. I'll give it another couple of episodes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭aine1980

So far so good, nice surprise

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Yeah, have to say I like that and will be checking out more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I'm loving this so far. Having said that, I loved Entourage and I do enjoy American football, so it suits me down to the ground!
    Joe was brilliant in this week's episode! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Really glad that everybody had a chill time at the party. Was worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's possibly missing some big cameo roles along the lines of Entourage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

It's possibly missing some big cameo roles along the lines of Entourage.

Any of the cameos will probably be actual pro footballers and we won't have a clue who they are but we'll be able to tell them by the wooden acting!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

HBO seem to renew everything these days.
    The most recent episode of Ballers brought in 1,591,000 viewers, which is the lowest audience yet. HBO has already renewed the series for a second season. This is down from last week’s 1.7 million viewers

Credit: bythenumbers

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Whats a good/bad figure in HBOland?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Whats a good/bad figure in HBOland?

Game of Thrones averages about 5.5 million viewers per episode and it is the highest rated show on HBO at the moment.

It's odd, Le Rock has a huge backing on Instagram and FB (probably Twitter as well) but never does any promo for the show. Maybe there were one or two bits about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    It's odd, Le Rock has a huge backing on Instagram and FB (probably Twitter as well) but never does any promo for the show. Maybe there were one or two bits about it.

I've seen him tweeting a good bit about it, and saw some bits on facebook too if I am not mistaken

Ah right, maybe I just missed it all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,938 ✭✭✭✭rob316

What does everyone think of it so far?

Im enjoying but maybe I expected more, it seems to take the whole episode to get plot and then its just cuts to the credits and you have to wait for next week.

Some strong performances especially from Dwayne himself. Bit depressing watching super rich people though :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Really enjoying it. Nice easy watch like entourage used to be.

Advertisement