Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda reserve

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

RUNNER 1 wrote: »
    What you suggest?

There's no reason why a band can't be added to the cap or the word reserve under Garda on the uniform. I think members of the public have the right to know if they are dealing with a reserve or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

Bloodwing wrote: »
    There's no reason why a band can't be added to the cap or the word reserve under Garda on the uniform. I think members of the public have the right to know if they are dealing with a reserve or not.

If members of the public are that concerned with who they are dealing with they'd know its a reserve by the gr on the uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Cedric87 wrote: »
    If members of the public are that concerned with who they are dealing with they'd know its a reserve by the gr on the uniform.

A seemingly random combination of letters, numbers, pips and chevrons means nothing to the average member of the public. They should be able to tell without a doubt if they are dealing with a qualified full time employee or a volunteer part timer.

I can't see why members of the reserve would have difficulty with their position being immediately identifiable, unless of course they are only in the reserve to wear the uniform.

A seemingly random combination of letters, numbers, pips and chevrons means nothing to the average member of the public. They should be able to tell without a doubt if they are dealing with a qualified full time employee or a volunteer part timer.

I can't see why members of the reserve would have difficulty with their position being immediately identifiable, unless of course they are only in the reserve to wear the uniform.

It's nothing to do with just wanting to wear the uniform, take for example in The UK members of the community support have blue uniforms to stand out to the public. They also have very little powers and he public know this and use it against them.
    Also the specials wear the same uniform as the full time it just has the word special on it I believe.
    Ive nothing wrong with the word reserve being on the uniform, but I do have a problem with having a colour change that will make them stand out and be sitting ducks for abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

Dealing with a qualified member?

I for one dealt first aid AED to a heart attack victim at the side of the road, while other members were unable to help because They weren't trained in First Aid.. I was sent off to Templemore for 5 days. We are all part of the same team at the end of the day.. As reserves we come with different back grounds and strengths, some of us are lucky to get extra Traning in different sectors.
    As regards to adding "Reserve" on the Jackets the traffic corp do the same etc etc... Couldn't see a problem with that..
    But the "public" really only see the high vis coming at them! They don't care what rank you are! Only that help has arrived..
    If your a member of An Garda Siochana on the streets you will see this, even friends walk right passed you.. All they see is the uniform not what's on it!

• Advertisement

Dealing with a qualified member?

I for one dealt first aid AED to a heart attack victim at the side of the road, while other members were unable to help because They weren't trained in First Aid.. I was sent off to Templemore for 5 days. We are all part of the same team at the end of the day.. As reserves we come with different back grounds and strengths, some of us are lucky to get extra Traning in different sectors.
    As regards to adding "Reserve" on the Jackets the traffic corp do the same etc etc... Couldn't see a problem with that..
    But the "public" really only see the high vis coming at them! They don't care what rank you are! Only that help has arrived..
    If your a member of An Garda Siochana on the streets you will see this, even friends walk right passed you.. All they see is the uniform not what's on it!

Well done man, I have emergency first aid training that I felt would be a good help, I thought the guards all had training in it.
    That's true the public would not notice a badge with reserve on it and it won't come in either as they would have already introduced it by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

Cedric87 wrote:
    Well done man, I have emergency first aid training that I felt would be a good help, I thought the guards all had training in it. That's true the public would not notice a badge with reserve on it and it won't come in either as they would have already introduced it by now.

They could change it yet , but they should of done it from the start back in 05/06.

They could change it yet , but they should of done it from the start back in 05/06.

Personally I don't see them wasting money on something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭irishgti

To be honest the public might not be able to tell a full time member apart from a reserve but you can be bloody well sure that the regular customers do know the difference because they are in daily contact with members and it's them reserves will need to watch out for not the old lady that needs directions or shop assistant that had a bottle of beer stolen they don't care all they need to see is a person in uniform. The only difference in the UK is the SC for special constable same as GR

Well done man, I have emergency first aid training that I felt would be a good help, I thought the guards all had training in it.
    That's true the public would not notice a badge with reserve on it and it won't come in either as they would have already introduced it by now.

Believe it or not!.... Not all members are First Aid trained, so lucky for me I was sent down.
    You need a percentage of members that are first aiders or first responders on duty.

• Advertisement

Believe it or not!.... Not all members are First Aid trained, so lucky for me I was sent down.
    You need a percentage of members that are first aiders or first responders on duty.

I completed the course 2 years ago and I am planning on renewing my certificate this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Can anyone recommend a good place to train in basic to advanced and child first aid?

Can anyone recommend a good place to train in basic to advanced and child first aid?

Safety ireland are brilliant it's all part of the emergency first aid course. I got mine two years ago it needs to be updated on August. It's only 70 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Safety ireland are brilliant it's all part of the emergency first aid course. I got mine two years ago it needs to be updated on August. It's only 70 euro.

It's 100 now lol

Thanks for that, must book a date

It's 100 now lol

Thanks for that, must book a date

It's well worth it you do be out by 2.

I completed the course 2 years ago and I am planning on renewing my certificate this year.

Be careful not to go over your expirey date, if you did it in Templemore!
    If you go over, you will need to back go down for three days.. If before hand it will be done in DMR one day job...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Hard to believe that but take your word. Surely Gardai and Reserve Gardai should be qualified in First Aid/First Responder rather than waste their time doing "right on" ****e about immigrants, cultural issues etc.
    If a Garda doesnt know how to assist a coleague or a member of the public who has been stabbed or shot it is a terrible reflection of the quality of training received.
    Five minutes is a long time waiting for an ambulance when a person is losing blood. In the country you can be waiting a lot longer for an ambulance. Being in a position to stem the flow of blood or give a person CPR could be the difference between life and death

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lumce87

Hi everyone,

I apologise for this if it is already answered, but I have been going through so many forums I am completely lost.
    With the 208 hours, are you allowed to have a part-time or full-time job alongside? I am just qualified with my forensics honours degree and I am in Band 2 of the GARDA process. I am not sure am I eligible to apply for the reserves either?

Thanks so much for any help.

Sincerely,
    Lu.

Yes you can full or part time job alongside.

And yes u can apply , no rule that you can't be in both campaigns.But the GR recruitment process is a lot slower than for full time anywhere from 1 year to 3 years .

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

you cant be a full time Garda though !

• Advertisement

you cant be a full time Garda though !

I think he is just keeping his options open, if he doesn't get the full time then he will be already applied for the reserves. Id just focus on the full time Id be confident Id get it and would not expect to be rejected.... Confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Slava1976

Hi,guys.Got a call from office today with dates.Still waiting for confirmation email but hey-we're almost there. p.s. Worth waiting every minute. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rookie1470

Hi guys, got email to attend medical thurs 23rd July, fingers crossed. Anyone else get called??

Hi, where did you do forensics degree?? Full/part time course??

Rookie

rookie1470 wrote:
    Hi guys, got email to attend medical thurs 23rd July, fingers crossed. Anyone else get called??

Good luck with it. :)

Good luck with it. :)

Cheers, nearly 3 years waiting

rookie1470 wrote:
    Cheers, nearly 3 years waiting

I was In the last ones , was waiting 2 years myself .

I was In the last ones , was waiting 2 years myself .

So you did medical?? Are you waiting on a call for training??

rookie1470 wrote:
    So you did medical?? Are you waiting on a call for training??

Ya iv mine out of the way, ya hopefully be in September training .

• Advertisement

Ya iv mine out of the way, ya hopefully be in September training .

Cool, well done and best of luck. Any pointers on medical apart from usual? Cheers

Advertisement